The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica Audio Purple Family Eqs (P1 & M5) 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Acustica Audio Purple Family Eqs (P1 & M5)

Hey Folks,

I've been testing these plugs a fair bit and thought it would be nice to start a thread so people can share their experiences and tips on working with them. The trials are available now at Acustica's site...........

I've been loving them so far, quite different to the other p**t*c types available. For me they really shine for individual tracks that require some hefty warmth and sweetening, but surprisingly they sound nice together on mixes and busses. I was surprised as the Acustica White EQ is the p**t*c type for masterbus and mastering duties, being a bit cleaner, but i liked the added colour from the Purple EQs on certain material i was working on which had a bit more of a need for 'sepia' and old school sounding treatment.

So what have people been using it on, care to share?

Old 10th May 2016
Here for the gear

Hi,

I have compared M5 to Uad MEQ - 5 version. I must say M5 sounds analogue and Uad version is to sterile and is missing some warmth.

I was expecting that result because algos always loose compared to Acustica Audio sampling technology at least in EQ domain. Pink proves it as well.

I have tryed P1 comparison with Uad EQP - 1A version and it the same the same, lacking the colour and warmth.

AA version is way better and sound like a real hardware unit, Uad is just a joke compares.

Damn i thought Uad emulations were good but they lost my trust from now on.

Best Regards
Denis

Last edited by emery; 10th May 2016 at 02:28 PM..
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

G, Purple is my favorite color..... but I don't see any.

I sure wish the red lamp light was purple, lol.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Just dropped the Purple-M5 in on a 1968 restoration/mastering project.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Great with a new EQ from AA.

How is it on the cpu?
Old 14th May 2016
Tried the PE 1 , and I have allot of acustica plugs now, but this purple has a gorgeous sound before you even eq.
Kinda fizzy in the mids , smooth as.....and super smooth when you start boosting some high like 16k.
Makes a vocal sound lovely too.

Better than White? I don't know but certainly a different flavour of Pultec-ness.

Gosh.... I'm addicted to these plugs.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

what am i missing?

i grabbed the trials for these and Pink, running PT12.5 on OS X 10.9.5.

do i need to authorize these? their site says no need to authorize free plugs, but these are trials. all the plugs have a "please authorize me" window.

none of the knobs in the pultecs work, they all flutter and go back to start position. in Pink, i can work the output knob and compressor, but nothing else works.

are they really this buggy, or did i miss a step?

--------

also, i am less than pleased that, after registering on their site, Acustica emailed me back my plaintext password. that's a security issue even if, on their servers, they're hashing and salting the passwords. but experience tells me they're probably not doing that, and my password is recoverable on their servers. obviously that's not secure.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Yes you need to authorize them
Those plugins generate a file with ser extension, just upload them in your dashboard

Anyway if you need help just open a ticket, they are really helpful and could point to documentation or links. The authorization procedure is described in the user manual

Alternatively check this video

Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

for anyone else using PT on OSX, the .ser files are located here:
Code:
/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins
zaphod, thanks for the quick response. imho that info should be readily available on the dashboard. i was missing two pieces of info: 1) that the trial s/w needs authorizing to work, and 2) the serial files were installed in the plug-ins folder.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

damn, these sound REALLY good. well done.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Head

Are these EQ's modelled on any specific hardware EQ's?
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

They are sampled from two very well maintained classic P*ltec devices.

Last edited by drezz; 28th July 2016 at 01:09 AM..
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYAuM View Post
Are these EQ's modelled on any specific hardware EQ's?
AA uses dynamic convolution IR's, there is no modeling going on in any of their products. Search the many Nebula/Acqua threads here and the AA site forum..... search and ye shall find the answers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search