The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help would make me very happy!
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

Help would make me very happy!

Hi!
I just had a question here. I`m building a pc to use with a fireface 800.
And I need a pci firewire controller. I have heard that it MUST be TI chipset in it, but this link seems to say something else:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/tec...fw800alert.htm

"Reassuring: FireWire 400 (1394a-2000) has always functioned properly. We tested PCI FireWire cards with chips from VIA, NEC and Texas Instruments. The communication between computer, Fireface 800 and external FireWire hard drive didn't show any problem.

Worrying: With FireWire 800 (1394b), however, we encountered shaky communication, complete denial or strong temperature dependancy. Operating the Fireface and an external FW800 hard drive at the same time caused irregular bus resets, which were of course interrupting the audio signal."

Does this mean that I can use ANY pci firewire controller as long as I use FW 400?
F.ex any of the sunsway cards?
http://www.sunsway.com.hk/

Thanks for answering!
I just want something that works so I can focus on making music!

Joakim
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

it's good that they tested with all those chip sets... FYI the big hub-bub was some interfaces (my fw1884 for instance) seems to have troubles with some chip sets most notably the via... seems you'ld be ok with any of them though i personally would still look for a TI... i've had people i trust recommend the adaptech's.... as to the 400 vs 800 question ... if you hook-up to a 400 it will work... but at the lower rate of course... what i believe they are recommending is a separate port for the interface and any hard drives... in other words NO daisy-chaining... adaptec does make dual and even triple port controllers.... if scott from ADK comes around maybe he'll expand on this for you...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search