The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Pro options/questions
Old 7th February 2007
Question Mac Pro options/questions

I've always wanted to and finally am going to switch to a mac.

I feel silly asking these things as I have been playing with computers since Trash 80's and Timex Sinclairs (remember those :-)..
So..here goes..

I am ordering a 2.66 dual core most likely with the standard 1 gb of ram.
The sata drives are 399.00 for a 500 gb. I notice macmall or what not has comparable drives for under 200.00 bucks. Why are the mac drives so expensive? I looked at the specs and they appear the same (Maxtor for instance: 7200rpm spindle speed, 16MB cache buffer, 8.5ms average seek time, Designed for 1 million hours MTTF, 3.0Gb SATA Interface, RoHS compliant etc..)

Also... memory. Holy crap thats expensive! For the setup I have currently (pc based) 1 gb has been fine. I realize more is better but will try it as is. Thoughts?

In conclusion. The main reason for switching is it's time to ugrade anyways and I am sick of building pc's. Maybe im getting old and lazy :-) I also want to learn the OS so it makes sense at this time.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Apple is notorious for jacking up the price in custom built orders. their justification is "buy from us, and you'll save some headaches". not true all the time. ppl still have problems at times with HD and RAM from Apple.

looks like you've found some alternatives elsewhere. i'd go with that. if spec/model # are same, they're the exact same ones that Apple'll give you.

also, when you get RAM, make sure you get'em from a place where they offer "life-time warranty" for obvious reasons.

enjoy the MacPro.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

The apple prices are always somewhere around twice what they should be for some reason. They do it because most people don't do the research they you did and just assume thats the price. You should buy everything from otherworldcomputing.com They have the best prices and the best knowledge. I don't work for them.

The memory that the mac pros use is more expensive because its server memory and works a little be different then standard memory. The memory also requires a heat sync. The heat syncs keep the computer cooler which keeps the fan running slower.
Here is an official explanation

The Mac Pro’s RAM is unlike any other memory seen in the Mac market before. The modules are called Fully Buffered DIMMS (or FB-DIMMs), a format spearheaded by Intel that offers high memory performance—at high prices. Each FB-DIMM has its own memory controller onboard, which generates extra heat. To dissipate that heat, each FB-DIMM in a Mac Pro comes with its own heat sink, making FB-DIMMs look unique. FB-DIMMs must be installed in pairs, and for the highest memory performance gains, a Mac Pro should have at least two pairs of FB-DIMMs installed.

FB-DIMMs are new technology, and as a result shopping for FB-DIMMs will be difficult, at least in the near future. Apart from Apple, there are currently very few companies offering Mac Pro-compatible RAM modules. And the modules may be significantly more costly than other, more common RAM types, at least for a while. But here’s the good news: if you need huge amounts of RAM, the Mac Pro will accommodate: you can fill its eight RAM slots with as much as 16GB of RAM.

Installing RAM in the Mac Pro is much easier than on the Power Mac G5. The Mac Pro has two RAM carrier cards, each with four slots. To install RAM, you just slide the card out, place it on a table (the card has plastic feet on its back side), and insert your new FB-DIMMs. Then the carrier card slides back in, right into its slot on the Mac Pro motherboard.
Old 7th February 2007
Very cool. Thanks for the info. guys.

Other then the obvious tweaks to OSx i read about for optimization for recording any other tips/tricks. Obviously I will be learing a new OS.

thx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search