The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverb Removal Plug Ins Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Reverb Removal Plug Ins

Hey there.

Have been looking at some of these plug ins - but don't really understand how they work.

Would someone be kind enough to explain how these work...?

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Addict

Wouldn't it be easier to turn down the reverb instead?
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofool View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to turn down the reverb instead?
Agreed - but I am working on pre-recorded material from someone else....

Sparky
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

zynaptiq is the only one that works remotely. try around with the settings. you will have to engage the internal graphic eq to focus on the unwanted resonances. but once set right and maybe even used with two instances instead of one it can do some pretty nice results.
forget the rest. i tried it all extensively. the sply kind of works a little - on tiny amounts of reverb. the izotope is pure trash. try the zynaptiq is what i suggest.
apart from that one can always try around with multiband expanders. the fabfilter is nice for that.
Old 22nd April 2016
spl deverb is really good at it
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses....

Still trying to understand what/how these things work...

Do you lose any frequencies in the recorded audio?

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Spl transient designer can work too.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear
Gate.
Old 23rd April 2016
Gear Addict

Izotope RX Advanced has a De-Reverb component that is very good. You can't kill it all without some artifacts, so don't expect that but this the best tool I've found. You also haven't described what the 'verb problem is generated from...natural or added.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Izotope RX Advanced has a De-Reverb component that is very good. You can't kill it all without some artifacts, so don't expect that but this the best tool I've found. You also haven't described what the 'verb problem is generated from...natural or added.
Hey there Mr. Wilson.

Thanks for the reply.

As best I can tell - most of the reverb has been added - though I suspect the room provided some as well...

Have you tried the SPL De-Verb at all? I currently have the demo - and it seems to work a bit...I think...

Will venture to the Izotope site shortly.

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 23rd April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada View Post
Hey there.

Have been looking at some of these plug ins - but don't really understand how they work.

Would someone be kind enough to explain how these work...?

Thanks,

Sparky
Very happy user of Acon deverberate here.

It works by a combination of interactively fine tuning the
input dry and reverb sigals as well as rhe desired output
dry and reverb. Also gives a nice visual disply and
difference auio so tat you can check what it chops off.
The approach does not appear very exciting but works
like a charm and is fast and affordable.

Other reverb removal tools work differently though.
Transient shapers obviously detect transient waveforms
and preserve the attacks while reducing the tails.
More surgical tools like rx and melodyne decopose the
whole signal to frequenvy or melodic and harmonic
components that can be individually edited etc.

Gaties, compressors , volume envelope tools and volue automation
can also be used.
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
Very happy user of Acon deverberate here.

It works by a combination of interactively fine tuning the
input dry and reverb sigals as well as rhe desired output
dry and reverb. Also gives a nice visual disply and
difference auio so tat you can check what it chops off.
The approach does not appear very exciting but works
like a charm and is fast and affordable.

Other reverb removal tools work differently though.
Transient shapers obviously detect transient waveforms
and preserve the attacks while reducing the tails.
More surgical tools like rx and melodyne decopose the
whole signal to frequenvy or melodic and harmonic
components that can be individually edited etc.

Gaties, compressors , volume envelope tools and volue automation
can also be used.
Thanks for the information - I think I got it...

Sparky
Old 24th April 2016
+1 on iZotope RX - which is a software great to have around, it does so much.
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
+1 on iZotope RX - which is a software great to have around, it does so much.
Old thread but just wanted to add a few thoughts if it helps anyone in the same boat...

Over the weekend, I needed to clean some audio that came to me from a client. Unfortunately, there was a LOT of room ambience that needed to be removed. I demoed Zynaptiq Unveil, Acon DeVerberate and SPL DeVerb. All three gave an improvement over the source audio to different degrees.

Unveil was great and gave me the best results. It was more complicated to tweak but really knocked out the ambience and gave a tight voice recording with few artifacts. Unfortunately, the price is pretty steep for something I'd only use occasionally.

When tweaked properly, DeVerberate gave results in the same ballpark as Unveil but not quite as tight sounding. Still, considering how much less expensive it is than Unveil, that's just a minor complaint.

The SPL DeVerb did better than I thought it would using modest settings. However, pushing the knob much past 9-11 o'clock, I started to hear pumping. I got the best ambience removal with the knob at about 2-3 o'clock, but it just pumped too much. I ended up trying to use a couple of instances in series at low settings and it seemed to do a little better.

I would have tried Izotope's Deverb but my copy of RX isn't the advanced version... Oh well :(

FWIW, I'll probably pick up Acon DeVerberate and if the SPL goes on sale cheap, I'll pick it up too. Unveil is great but I just don't know if I can justify the expense on something I wouldn't use very often. To each their own, though... Hope it helps.
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Another vote for Acon Digital DeVerberate. It worked wonders when I experimented with it.
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I would have tried Izotope's Deverb but my copy of RX isn't the advanced version... Oh well :(
I've tried RX4 De-Reverb against Acon DeVerberate couple months ago.
It always depends on settings and input material, but afer some tweaking Acon gave me more natural sounding results with less audible modulation. YMMV of course.
Interestingly It's exactly opposite than with respective FFT denoisers, where RX was better for me.

I generally feel it's handy to have two approaches for such processing..
First - FFT based multiband processor like DeVerberate for instance. Second - something based on broadband envelope shaper, which is for example SPL processor (to me it looks like special version of their well known Transient designer, which is working mainly over sustain phase of envelope).
First one typicall works better on some complex signals, while second can be more natural for some simpler monophonic or percussive things.
For mentioned second approach, I don't use SPL processor, but lately I've got Sonnox Envolution, which is really great for multitude of tasks including this one, because it has pretty extensive control over sustain phase of envelope and also has frequency dependent blending of dry/wet path (you can pick several filters there).
Sometimes also third approach can be pretty good - multiband expander (like ProMB), which will be set to attenuate after level drop of signal in critical bands.

Michal
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
FWIW, I'll probably pick up Acon DeVerberate and if the SPL goes on sale cheap, I'll pick it up too.
Ended up buying Acon Deverberate and glad I did. Used it on two projects already and quickly got great results. JRR and B&H knock 15% off the regular price too, FWIW...

FYI, the SPL Deverb just went on sale for $19 this week at PluginAlliance. I think I'm set now!
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

Old Ozone 5 multiband gate can help in tightening the sound! Too bad the gate isn't in Ozone anymore.
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Reviving this thread to say that I've been doing a lot of podcast work lately, often recording in less than ideal rooms, and I'm finding that Acon Deverberate works beautifully to dial back room ambience in a very straightforward, usable, virtually artifact-free way. (I'm sure there are artifacts, and if I spent enough time doing fine-tooth A/Bing under headphones, I would probably hear them. But whatever they are, they are far less audible than the ambient gunk the plug removes.)
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
zynaptiq is the only one that works remotely. try around with the settings. you will have to engage the internal graphic eq to focus on the unwanted resonances. but once set right and maybe even used with two instances instead of one it can do some pretty nice results.
forget the rest. i tried it all extensively. the sply kind of works a little - on tiny amounts of reverb. the izotope is pure trash. try the zynaptiq is what i suggest.
apart from that one can always try around with multiband expanders. the fabfilter is nice for that.
Agreed still about Zynaptiq, requires bit of practice.

Matti
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Reviving this thread to say that I've been doing a lot of podcast work lately, often recording in less than ideal rooms, and I'm finding that Acon Deverberate works beautifully to dial back room ambience in a very straightforward, usable, virtually artifact-free way. (I'm sure there are artifacts, and if I spent enough time doing fine-tooth A/Bing under headphones, I would probably hear them. But whatever they are, they are far less audible than the ambient gunk the plug removes.)
Yeah, I use it for podcasts too - works great! The cool thing is that if you massage the settings a little (and monitor the reverb only), you can great results with very few artifacts.

Since then, I've updated my copy of RX but still haven't used it to deverb anything. I'll have to do an A/B sometime, but Deverberate has been giving me good results so I'm not in any rush
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search