The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 7 or Windows 10? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th October 2016
Gear Addict

Well, there you have it. Looks like you formatted it on a Mac....
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

I have Win10 on at least 5 machines for business, browsing and everything else.
And Win7 for DAWs, two of them. Somehow feels better with it and few old software doesn't install on Win10. I believe Win10 is equally good, but I see no reason to upgrade my machines to it.
And yes I have 4-5 years old machines that are perfectly fit, with SSD and lot of RAM, they are equally great for any task I imagine to do.
It means that 5 years ago (it looks like different age) top PC machine was already good enough to build proper DAW that 5 years later doesn't look obsolete, what I believe is great achievement.
Old 29th July 2017
Here for the gear

My choice is Windows 10, for security system - windows defender. Today, a lot of Internet fraud - there is an article on this topic CRBR Encryptor virus: remove and decrypt ransomware files « My Spy Bot
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Nut

Just bought a new laptop (HP Elitebook 8460p, 14", i7-2720QM 2.2Ghz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD), it came with Windows 7 Pro, trying to decide whether to upgrade to Windows 10 before i install all my licenses or not. Does Windows 10 still update without asking and track your data? Is there any way to prevent that yet? I hear Win10 is becoming quite good for audio. Has it surpassed Win7 yet? Thanks
Old 27th September 2017
I've had a number of issues with USB since the Creator Edition forced its way into my world like the Babadook.

Some of them were obvious right away, others were not evident until the ports were used for critical scenarios. I've had to troubleshoot a number of audio issues that were not present before the update.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Just bought a new laptop (HP Elitebook 8460p, 14", i7-2720QM 2.2Ghz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD), it came with Windows 7 Pro, trying to decide whether to upgrade to Windows 10 before i install all my licenses or not. Does Windows 10 still update without asking and track your data? Is there any way to prevent that yet? I hear Win10 is becoming quite good for audio. Has it surpassed Win7 yet? Thanks
In don't know what your upgrade options are concerning Win 10 but you can only shut off auto updates in the Pro version, not the Home version. I don't know anything about tracking data so someone else will have to answer that.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
In don't know what your upgrade options are concerning Win 10 but you can only shut off auto updates in the Pro version, not the Home version. I don't know anything about tracking data so someone else will have to answer that.
Ah good. Is that a new addition? Everything i've read has said that you can't stop updates, but maybe it has changed since then..?
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah good. Is that a new addition? Everything i've read has said that you can't stop updates, but maybe it has changed since then..?
In Pro it's done via gpedit. Home in regedit. You can disable drivers being included in updates also, which is the biggest issue with WU.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

I haven't been able to crash my Windows 10 PC, it's been more stable than Mac OS on my 2015 MBP.

I haven't done any "DAW tweaking" either since I don't really see the point. Fast PCs are so cheap that everybody should have plenty of resources and not have to chase 1-2% improvements.

I have to say that GS's Music Computers section sometimes feels like elderly peoples computer club..
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post

I haven't done any "DAW tweaking" either since I don't really see the point. Fast PCs are so cheap that everybody should have plenty of resources and not have to chase 1-2% improvements.

I think some things like disabling auto updates are important unless you don't mind mid session interruptions.

Also disabling USB sleep modes are important as well.

And finally core balancing and disabling any core parking modes can be equally important for some people.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a few 8460ps as well. track-your-data is a term different than telemetry, so it's difficult to know what your impression is of win10 in that area. All the discussions of the win10 update process... what does... what doesn't....how you turn it off in the gpedit area etc... is a long discussion found on the long win10 thread. No need to turn this thread into a pointless duplicate of that one ...imo.

Win 10 Pro is fantastic on elitebook 8460ps for audio/video work when on the go etc. Or as a main machine combination.

Try it yourself at your own leisure this way after you have a win10 image download stored on an external drive/dvd/flash drive etc......

Snap off the bottom cover of your 8460p, pop out the C drive and place it on a shelf over there by your desk.

By the way, if you haven't already done it, use macrium reflect to image that win7 c drive to an external drive etc (using usb3 or your sata-out on the 8460p) You can also image your future win10 build backups with the free macrium... it's a great little program (I used Ghost for a billion years before they basically bailed).

Back to your win 10 journey to see what's what.....

Pop in a brand new never-used drive as a temporary C drive. Install win10 pro... you may have to do a quick, 6-minute fast install of win7 if you're dealing with some sort of win10 upgrade scenario.

Once win10pro is installed on that temporary C drive (along with any 8460p-HP centric drivers.... such as the fingerprint driver (which I don't use, but I do install the drivers from HP).. and other drivers the device manager may show (which are all available even if win10 doesn't catch them all.... HP is kinda snarky about where they place win10 drivers for that machine on their site...)

...anyway.. once win 10 is installed on that C drive, try it out. See how you like it now and then over the next few months. Even grab the Oct 17 (or whatever it is) Fall upgrade iso when it hits.

The point is, at any moment, you can power down, pop in your win7 C drive and continue on with your day. Explore win10 at your leisure simply by swapping out the C drive scenario.

I've been using win10pro on the 8460s since its release. It's great. No hitches or glitches for me.... none that weren't a matter of me just having to learn something new that I hadn't known about......

HP doesn't even like to promote the 8460s as win 10 compatible. They want you to buy something newer. Silly HP. The biggest issue I had with win10 when it was released and installed was, like I say, HP was vague about where some of the 8460 system drivers were for the win10 combination. Most were on HPs win7 download drivers area.... but five or six were not. So I.. along with nice help from various HP forums, found the drivers and made sure I knew where to find them in the future (in addition to having them safely downloaded anyway).

Sorry to ramble..... I think you'll love win10 pro on that machine. Just wanted to mention a scenario for you to retain use of both win7 and win10 while you explore... with no surprises.
Old 4th May 2018
Here for the gear

I prefer Windows 7, even if it is more ancient than Windows 10, but in the operation of the system, the Window 10 extremely unstable, very prone to crash the system problem, and the unlock process is complicated, but for Windows 7 , the password unlock process is so easy
Old 22nd July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
There is now a very long Windows 10 sticky thread at the top of this section which will list all the pros and cons in great detail. Go there and start reading.
Can you please provide a direct URL to this sticky? Is not seen at 'top of this section'. Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2018

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search