The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC Touch or Push 2
Old 13th April 2016
Here for the gear

MPC Touch or Push 2

Hey everyone,

First post here!

So I'm in the market for a new MIDI controller and I've been looking at both the MPC Touch and Push 2. I'm an Ableton user and mostly make electronic/hip hop beats, although I also play guitar and am getting back into traditional song writing as well. I know that Push works pretty seamlessly with Ableton, but I'm also wondering if the Touch has some workflow benefits or features that would make it a better purchase.

Any thoughts/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpittyCarpCarp View Post
Hey everyone,

First post here!

So I'm in the market for a new MIDI controller and I've been looking at both the MPC Touch and Push 2. I'm an Ableton user and mostly make electronic/hip hop beats, although I also play guitar and am getting back into traditional song writing as well. I know that Push works pretty seamlessly with Ableton, but I'm also wondering if the Touch has some workflow benefits or features that would make it a better purchase.

Any thoughts/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I use Ableton with the MPC touch. I never really clicked with Push 1 for some reason. But I'm willing to give it another shot with Push 2.

As far as chopping things up, I haven't seen better. The touchscreen and workflow is fast. Hats off to Akai for that.

I like the sound of drums better in the MPC also. There is a feeling in between the notes with that sequencer.

The MPC software sequencer isn't as featured as Live though.

If had to choose one I would get the MPC Touch, but who said you cant have both?
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Easy choice, Push 2.

MPC Touch cant really compare honestly, just seems like Akai trying to keep up (as usual)

and yes, I am a former MPC head (2000xl, 3000, 4000 etc. - blah)
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

If you run Live, Push 2 is a no brainier, no controller integrates into a DAW better.

I have Maschine and Push 1, but I came up using MPC 2K, 2K XL, 3000 & 4000, ASR X.
Old 14th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
If had to choose one I would get the MPC Touch, but who said you cant have both?
Once I feel comfortable paying for two $800 pieces of hardware, I may do just that!

But thanks for the input! I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Old 14th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
If you run Live, Push 2 is a no brainier, no controller integrates into a DAW better.

I have Maschine and Push 1, but I came up using MPC 2K, 2K XL, 3000 & 4000, ASR X.
Yeah from what I've seen and read the integration with Live is a huge plus. I'm pretty drawn to the idea of getting away from the computer screen during music making. Also the fact that you can load VSTs straight into Push is sweet.

Thanks for the input!
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

I can't speak to the mpc, but I can say that push 2 is really well integrated into live. I haven't really used live or a push before and I can basically compose and record without hardly ever even looking at my screen. If you get it and have komplete, you'll want to get the audiomodder push 2 bridge for the same integration extended to the NI products.
Old 14th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
If you get it and have komplete, you'll want to get the audiomodder push 2 bridge for the same integration extended to the NI products.
Didn't know that... Great advice!
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

Push 2 + Live (Simpler) = win.
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpittyCarpCarp View Post
Once I feel comfortable paying for two $800 pieces of hardware, I may do just that!
If that's the case I would recommend Maschine MKI or MKII instead. NI's own Ableton Live 9.x template that comes with Maschine for its MIDI mode can do a lot of what Push does and even some things that Push can't.

You can even change the color of Live's clips from the Maschine hardware, browse/select/control Live's tracks/devices, automatically detect and browse Drum Racks, switch between views/browser, transpose/gain/detune audio files, turn device on/off, turn warp on/off, punch in/out, set quantize, clear automation, duplicate, double loop, nudge, cue, crossfade...etc. It also has scales and different color modes for notes. In fact, Maschine's latest Live 9 template is much improved, especially visual feedback where on display/knobs pages, you now get parameter name and value feedback from Live. The navigation in session view is improved as well, and some functions that were previously exclusive to Push are now available from Maschine, such as changing a Live clip's start/end/loop directly via the encoders. Even with Drum Rack there's more LED feedback so the pads with samples/instruments loaded light up. Now instead of moving up a whole octave it moves up one row of pads.

There's so many other nice touches like the group buttons changing colors to become navigational arrows for the box around session view and if you switch to a mode where you navigate by multiple steps instead of one, the navigation arrow buttons change to a different color to let you know what mode you're in. Plus, they've kept as much as possible the correlation between Maschine's hardware and Live so that when Volume, Swing, or Tempo button is selected on Maschine, the master encoder controls the respective controls in Live. Scene button is for Live's scenes. Pattern button is for Live's clips. Pad (keyboard) mode button makes the pads control notes inside clips...etc.

Not only that, but browsing plugins and tagging sounds has always been much better/quicker on Maschine due to Maschine's superior browsing capabilities. Live/Push doesn't support tags. And if you use any NI plugins or any third party plugins that support NKS standard like Arturia V-collection, U-he...etc. then you can't beat Maschine's ability to browse plugin presets.

Also, the presets you create in Maschine is not dependent on the software, so a patch made in Massive or Zebra etc. does not require you to own Maschine or even have Zebra wrapped in the Komplete software etc. If you end up switching from Ableton Live to another DAW, you're going to lose all your 'Racks' and all the assigned controllers etc. that Push offers. This is the big let down of Push integration.

And automapping of plugins is still not good enough on Push 2. While you can now save a default config for each plugin, you are still limited to 128 parameters, and you can't customize parameter banks.
Old 3rd May 2016
Here for the gear

Ableton Push 2 is amazing with the new simpler
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search