The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LaCie Hard Drives Dying
Old 13th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
the EZQuest drives I have used were not all that quiet--
Yes, to be certain there are quieter drives out there... but at what cost? These are more meant to be run all day long in a machine room.
Old 13th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Yes, to be certain there are quieter drives out there... but at what cost? These are more meant to be run all day long in a machine room.
Well I do not have a machine room- I have 2tb down about 36 inches from system.

That is one reason people are attracted to the LaCies I guess-

there are quieter enclosures out there though. The EZQuest ones are nothing terribly special. That is not to imply that they are nothing but great however...

charles maynes
Old 13th February 2007
This stuff is making me nervous, I have over 40! Lacie D2 drives in the Studio where I work, both for backup and Session work. I use 4 Lacie's for session work, each on their own firewirebus. I can happily run 144 tracks off of them. None of them ever failed. The expensive SCSI ones we've had have died frequently.

Guess I was lucky. Is Glyph that much better? It's more then twice as expensive. Any ideas on longterm Data-archival Solutions?
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I just had a client tell me his Lacie D2 is clicking and not showing up on the desktop. I guess it's time for him to put it in a new enclosure. I was afraid to have to tell him he lost all his data. At least now there is a chance.
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Nut

yeah, I'm dfegad at the lacie drives. bought a bigdisk extreme triple interface 500 a week ago... first everything was fine, happily tracking my 18 simultaneos ins on a mbp c2d with a motu 828mkII for about an hour. then suddenly, I get "error (record) - disk is too slow". WTF? I even had it on a separate FW800 bus with my FW800 expresscard34. ok, could be the expresscard.... NO. didn't work on the internal FW800 port either.

come on. 18 tracks. even just in 24bit/48khz. A bit to much for a couple of striped 7200rpm disks? ehhh... even the internal 120 gig 5400 rpm drive can rec it no problems... but I don't wont my logic projects on the internal drive, and I don't have the space there anyway.

So, I will never buy anything from lacie again now
Old 1st March 2007
prolly decided to take a nap halftime
that's what mine used to do

next week - in full color: how to dismantle and exterminate a Lacie LOL
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Addict

I remember the horror when my old 60GB lacie failed. I cracked it open and found a Western Digital drive. I almost crapped my pants until somebody told me that lacie puts whatever brand drive they want in the case.
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Maniac

I've had 2 D2's die in the past 12 months... but both times it was after a system crash that required my G4 to be shutdown by powering down... (kernal panic thingie).

One was beyond repair (I had everything backed up to DVD's so no great problem) and the most recent one I managed to repair using DiskWarrior. I still bought a new one and transferred all the data immediately.

I had the old blue Lacie's for quite a few years with no problems whatsoever.

Dunno why I keep buying them actually... I just 'assumed' they were a standard as everybody I know seems to use them.

KD
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear head View Post
i just bought a d2 extreme 250 about 3 weeks ago no problems at all
wait another 3 weeks.
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

i've always wondered why people bought Lacie Drives.

now i know

i also wonder why people don't religiously back up their drives

people in the film and tech world usually won't touch LaCie

they are consumer mass market "junk", so i have been told by many smart people

however, all drives fail, its just a matter of time

so back up your drives!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search