The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panther to Tiger (OS X)
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Panther to Tiger (OS X)

Hi folks,

I need to upgrade from Panther to Tiger since I've just found out one of the newly purchased software doesn't work on 10.3.9. I'm thinking of NOT doing a clean install because, well, if I can get away with an easier method, I won't have to go through the pain of reinstalling everything. Wondering if anyone has done the installation this way without any problems...? Are there any authorisation keys in danger of being wiped out this way, or would it work as it did before the upgrade? Would challenge-response keys like for Reaktor stay intact after the upgrade?

I'm using a G5 dual 2 GHz machine here.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd like to hear about this, too.

Jasper
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I went ahead and did the upgrade, and looks like it kept all the authorisations intact. Even Reaktor didn't spit out a new system ID, and Steinberg Key, iLok, serial# protected ones are working as they did before the upgrade. New version of Mail had a problem importing the older Mail app mailbox, though.

No reinstall of anything. All is well, so far...
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

Clone your system drive first!!!

I'm going thru this myself right now..... I just upgraded to Tiger from 10.3.9 using an Archive & Install, which is supposed to carry over your various settings, which it does to an extent, BUT you might lose links to your AU plug-ins and who knows what else. My Emagic AMT8 MIDI has stopped working, and I haven't figured out how to get a new driver - emagic's old website is gone now and I can't find anything of use on Apple website. I'm hoping I can find the old driver on my cloned system somewhere! I'm still in the process of figuring it out.

Also, Logic 7 can't see any of my third-party plug-ins, and I had to get an updated firewire audio driver for my MOTU 828. So, be prepared for some work!

I'd recommned that you copy your entire system drive to an external drive - I use SuperDuper to make a bootable backup - that way I can reboot into my old system when I need to. At the very least, make sure you copy all your settings related to plug-ins, presets, etc. to a separate drive, and get ready to go hunting for new drivers.

Andrew.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search