The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mac Pro
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

New Mac Pro

Wow I got my Mac Pro through the post this morning, sweet machine. Believe it or not I've never seen a Mac in 'real life' before

I can't use it yet as I'm waiting for an Apogee Symphony card and 3 X-Symphony cards for my 3x Rosetta 800's.

One question. I have 4 hard drives in it what would be the best way to set them up?

I usually use round about 40-50 tracks and want to record at 96kHz for the benefit of the plugins. I was amazed how the plugins 'came to life' at 96 compared to 44.1 on my mates machine.

System Drive
The other 3, Raid0

??????
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

How have you never seen a Mac in real life before?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I live in the middle of nowhere, I've never worked in an office and all my friends and guys I know that have studios all run PC's.

Surely it's not that hard to believe
Old 5th February 2007
Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple. Once you go Mac you'll never go back!

Anyway, as far as "setting up the drives" this is not like a PC. You don't want to run RAID for audio so you basically have your system drive holding the OS and all your applications. Use the other drives for recording. You may even want to dedicate the last drive to hold all your samples (if you have a lot of them).

For backup purposes you might want to record onto the 2nd drive and copy things to the 3rd.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy your new toy.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Same here.

MacPro with 4x 250GB drives.

1 - System
2 - BFD
3 - Audio
4 - Audio

Welcome to Mac
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear
Ahhhhhhhhh....I remember my first few weeks with a mac, back when I got my old 733 Mhz G4. I was in love, and I was actually excited about using a computer for the first time.

Welcome to the world of hardware and software that is actually designed to be powerful, intuitive, AND fun!

halcyo
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, welcome to Macland. Despite it's quirks it really is a joy to work with. Most of the time.

Aaron, I'm curious -- why do you say don't use RAID for audio? I don't use it but was thinking of switching ... and I've heard many guys saying they improve their track counts by 25% or more by striping.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

all mac pro's have PCI-e slots right?
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers for your help guys. I'm lookign forward to some hassle free computing (fingers crossed) after some serious head spins with PC's of late.

So not worth going RAID, one hard drive should give me 40-50 tracks at 96 then yeah without any problems?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search