The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools LE with 24outs? Is is possible?
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

Pro Tools LE with 24outs? Is is possible?

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out how to transfer and work on a new project that was recorded at my studio on 2" analog-
We recorded 16 tracks of Drums and Bass, many sweet ribbon mics, room mics of all shapes and sizes, plus great pres and compressors all around, for many sonic options once we dump into the digital realm and finish the project.
I want to then track in a yet undertermoned DAW and run 24 outputs back in to my console, and mix to my ATR 102.

I have been a staunch Analog holdout and do most of my stuff on 2" here, but for this project I want the editing and trickery of a DAW, so I'm asking you guys this:

Can you put together a LE Pro Tools system with 16 ins and 24 outs? What would you guys suggest?
I cannot afford an HD system, and I thought I could rent one and dump all of my analog tracks maybe , and do the overdubs in LE, etc.
Max Sample rates and best coversion for non-HD?

I also have Logic and a Motu 828, I thought about getting 2more 828's and thus having 24 outs, but my Logic is an old version, no automation, OS9, etc- I could get into Logic Pro and run it on os10, I have a nice dual 933 g4...

What would be the best way to retain my sweet analog drum sounds and make this happen?
I'm now at a crossroads, as 16 tracks of the 2" are full, and if I overdub more to the tape deck, I'll need 24 ins as well as outs!!

I'm ready to make the jump to Pro Tools, I just need a little guidance-
Also spending $15k on an HD rig is not going to happen, I will buy another U-67 and an RCA BA-6, or any other multitude of real equipment before I will drop a house payment on a Chinese Chipset that is frankly very grossly overpriced......

Thanks gang-

Last edited by fivestarstudios; 5th February 2007 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 5th February 2007
krs
Lives for gear

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...30&itemid=4894

The 16 in you could do, but I'm not sure you'd want to use the analog inputs on a 002...

Personally I'd transfer the material at a place with PT HD, pick up a used LE interface and keep it in the box.

If that doesn't appeal you could pick up 002 and a great 8 channel DA (w/ADAT), and break it into stems. (Not ideal, but neither is the DA on a 002 )
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry LE is limited 18 in and 18 out with any LE or even M-powered device.
I ran 16 out into my Trident and sub grouped some tracks.

You be best off to look at something else if you need the 24 tracks. If you have a Mac try DP and Nuendo as well.. See which works for you,

You could always look at buying a older Mix system although your stuck at 6.4 pro tools. They sell for ok money now. You could add two adat bridge and look at some of the nicer ADAT convertors around today, as the stock older Mix blackface convertors are a little old even compared to some of the cheap brands now.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Of course you can always sync up two LE systems.

That's how I've got my set-up going. I do alot of work on my 24 track 2" machine and use a DIGI 002R on a G5 as my main system, with a DIGI 001 on a G4 laptop sync'd up through MIDI and wordclock. This way I can have up to 32 Ins/Outs, 16 on each system, and just use an external FW hard-drive to transfer tracks between computers.

I know it's not ideal, but I (usually) only have the 2 systems sync'd up for 24 track transfers from tape, and (usually) mix ITB.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but just wanted to let you know of at least one option
Old 5th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Of course you can always sync up two LE systems.

That's how I've got my set-up going. I do alot of work on my 24 track 2" machine and use a DIGI 002R on a G5 as my main system, with a DIGI 001 on a G4 laptop sync'd up through MIDI and wordclock. This way I can have up to 32 Ins/Outs, 16 on each system, and just use an external FW hard-drive to transfer tracks between computers.

I know it's not ideal, but I (usually) only have the 2 systems sync'd up for 24 track transfers from tape, and (usually) mix ITB.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but just wanted to let you know of at least one option
Hi Benmrrx, can you further explain how to sync the two systems, please? Do you connect the MIDI out/in of the 002 into the MIDI in/out of the 001? And the same with the wordclock? What about software settings?

Thank you.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
Hi Benmrrx, can you further explain how to sync the two systems, please? Do you connect the MIDI out/in of the 002 into the MIDI in/out of the 001? And the same with the wordclock? What about software settings?

Thank you.
Exactly. Then on your "master" system (in my case the 002R+G5) you go into the session setup window and enable MTC to send out your chosen MIDI out. Then go into your "slave" system, and go into your hardware settings and choose to recieve wordclock sync from the SPDIF input, and on the transport bar, put the system "online". I could be forgetting something.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Why not a profire light bridge and your choice of converters into M powered?
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

If you have any unit at your studio that reads sympte (older MOTU stuff), I WOULD DO IT OLD SCHOOL! Drop a sympte track on the 2 inch, run this track into your sympte reader unit and midi that unit up to your 002. It will take two passes to record all 24 tracks (16 first, then 8 second) but it'll be nice and sync'd and you'll be on your way. Hopefully this helps you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search