The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iMac mid 2011 with ssd DAW Software
Old 2nd April 2016
iMac mid 2011 with ssd

Hi, I'd like to know if someone has changed the iMac hard drive to the new ssd hard drives ? Some people says that the performance is better, anyone? Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

I just put one in my macbook, why all computers don't come with SSD's is beyond me. It takes 12 seconds for my mac to boot up, compared to 35 seconds....
Apps open instantly, no bouncing. When using Logic, projects, VST's load instantly. It is a dramatic difference
Old 2nd April 2016
what is the model of your macbook?
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

I have a mid 2011 iMAC but don't use it for my DAW. But if I did, I would go Thunderbolt and use external SSD. Retrofitting this iMAC seems like a nightmare (that's just me though and am deathly afraid of disassembling this all in one model) and the TB connection is almost as good as another PCIe channel.

On my DAW I do have a bank of SSDs (4 of them) strictly used for sample libraries and my DAW with the largest of large projects never even breaks a sweat. Like 9% CPU, 2% MEM, and almost 0% drive is the highest load I see on the DAW. This same machine with with standard hard drives (7200 RPM) would come in at 40% CPU, 15% MEM and 25% DRIVE - causing me to increase the latency in order to not have drop outs. Which didn't matter for tracking since I use an UAD APOLLO and have ZERO latency through it but it did make a huge difference in mixing. With the higher latency, there was a big lag before I could hear the impact of a fader move for instance.

Don't know your workflow but I think using SSD has a positive benefit on all resources, not just I/O speed.

Jim
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I have a mid 2011 iMAC but don't use it for my DAW. But if I did, I would go Thunderbolt and use external SSD. Retrofitting this iMAC seems like a nightmare (that's just me though and am deathly afraid of disassembling this all in one model) and the TB connection is almost as good as another PCIe channel.

On my DAW I do have a bank of SSDs (4 of them) strictly used for sample libraries and my DAW with the largest of large projects never even breaks a sweat. Like 9% CPU, 2% MEM, and almost 0% drive is the highest load I see on the DAW. This same machine with with standard hard drives (7200 RPM) would come in at 40% CPU, 15% MEM and 25% DRIVE - causing me to increase the latency in order to not have drop outs. Which didn't matter for tracking since I use an UAD APOLLO and have ZERO latency through it but it did make a huge difference in mixing. With the higher latency, there was a big lag before I could hear the impact of a fader move for instance.

Don't know your workflow but I think using SSD has a positive benefit on all resources, not just I/O speed.

Jim
Thanks Jim, well I use a thunderbolt g-drive to record, but sometimes when I'm working on pro tools, the pro tools stops and crashes, I'm tired of this and I'm searching for a good solution to change this, because I'd like to worried about the music and not for my computer...
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomonroy View Post
what is the model of your macbook?
It's a 2010 Macbook Pro, just picked it up used for $400.00. Has a 2.4ghz processor, 4G of ram, soon to be 16G.
I put a Kingston 300v, 480G SSD.
Old 2nd April 2016
RTR
Lives for gear

The fusion drive in my iMac 5k works great for its purpose. I use USB3 external HD's for pro tools sessions and sample libraries. I know people like to push their computer to see what it takes to knock it down, but if your just doing audio with a few VI's, I dont think you need to stress over it very much these days. I have a few 80+ track sessions on my imac, and can still run at a 64 buffer, not bad! I only have the i5 CPU also...
Old 2nd April 2016
I use a Mid 2011 iMac and I'm now booting 10.9.5 through a Caldigit Thunderbolt2 dock using an eSATA SSD drive. Performance increase was quite incredible compared the slow internal Seagate.
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I would go Thunderbolt and use external SSD.
Jim
Do you mean, buy a thunderbolt drive and install the OS there? (Yosemite..)
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgM View Post
I use a Mid 2011 iMac and I'm now booting 10.9.5 through a Caldigit Thunderbolt2 dock using an eSATA SSD drive. Performance increase was quite incredible compared the slow internal Seagate.
Can you tell me more about your configuration?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search