The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iMac for a project studio DAW Software
Old 2nd April 2016
iMac for a project studio

Hi, I'm trying to decide what is best for my studio, I've been using a mid 2011 iMac for about 4 years but it seems now the iMac wants to go to his jubilation... I'd like to buy a Mac Pro but here in my country Apple doesn't sell mac pros. So my best option is the iMac Apple iMac - 27" Retina 5K Display, 3.3GHz Quad-Core i5, Fusion Drive | Sweetwater.com
I'd like to know is someone uses this iMac to record in pro tools 12 thanks !!

Last edited by juliomonroy; 2nd April 2016 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomonroy View Post
Hi, I'm trying to decide what is best for my studio, I've been using a mid 2011 iMac for about 4 years but it seems now the iMac wants to go to his jubilation... I'd like to buy a Mac Pro but here in my country Apple doesn't sell mac pros. So my best option is the iMac Apple iMac - 27" Retina 5K Display, 3.3GHz Quad-Core i5, Fusion Drive | Sweetwater.com
I'd like to know is someone uses this iMac to record in pro tools 12 thanks !!
Can you get a MacBook Pro where you're at?

I've been running ProTools 11 seamlessly on a MacBook Pro, using an outboard monitor and keyboard/mouse. It has the mobility of being able to take it on the road/rail.
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant View Post
Can you get a MacBook Pro where you're at?

I've been running ProTools 11 seamlessly on a MacBook Pro, using an outboard monitor and keyboard/mouse. It has the mobility of being able to take it on the road/rail.
thanks, well I'd prefer an iMac because I've got a macbook pro but another person in my studio use it for edit videos and other stuff...
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

I use Logic on an iMac 27" i7 with Fusion drive and it works great with Thunderbolt and UAD Apollo

Sorry, I don't use Pro Tools but hopefully that helps you gauge it. I don't really have high track counts and use UAD for most plugins, but native plug-ins and virtual instruments work really well and the computer is more than powerful enough for most things I throw at it. On some electronic pieces with many virtual instruments and plug ins I occasionally have to freeze some tracks to avoid system overloads, but not very often
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search