The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'Desktop App Converter' announced by Microsoft. Cool!
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

'Desktop App Converter' announced by Microsoft. Cool!

So apparently Microsoft has made a converter which creates UWP 'apps' for use in Microsoft's Store app, one which is available on every Windows 8, 10 computers.
It's very interesting and I am hoping to get some of my DAW software 'converted' for use as UWP, effectively syncing users sessions and data across my devices.
Microsoft is really making a focus on attracting all sorts of development towards the Store application, which currently is quite lackluster toward users, right now. Something which most likely will change as this movement get's more fully implemented towards the Redstone/Anniversary Update (both the same thing it seems).
Once imported into Appx (Store) format software makers benefit from installation and update, as well as some final configurations to make the software fully compatible in order to ensure that it works as intended.
Although this is all supposed to be a 'easy' process I can see the interest to implement brand new features to take advantage of the cloud benefits and more features for users.
It is said that Microsoft charges 30% charge to support the Store service, but the potential to reach a much larger audience of both free and paid software. I don't fully (obviously) understand exactly how this works or the amount of work required. That will likely discourage a lot of developers into want to remaining outside the Store UWP platform.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...ridges/desktop

Last edited by wakestyle; 2nd April 2016 at 12:05 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search