The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
simple but high quality interface
Old 1st April 2016
Here for the gear

simple but high quality interface

Hi,
I want to start using monitors and audio interface with Positive grid bias and a little recording.
going to buy Aps klasik monitors and need a simple but high quality without any latency interface with trs input for guitar, xlr input for mic, and xlr/trs outputs.
I am using a mini mac with usb 3 and thunderbolt 2.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre could be nice choice for you, especially when roundtrip latency will be concerned.
Old 2nd April 2016
Here for the gear

I know the 2pre and it's very nice interface, but i want to know if there is another options...
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

I suggest you look into the RME Babyface (not the pro). They go for cheap in the second hand market, are still supported by RME, have excellent drivers and sounds good.
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Head

How about the Apollo Twin? I have the big brother and I am very happy with it.
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohadzaki View Post
I know the 2pre and it's very nice interface, but i want to know if there is another options...
There are plenty of options, but I believe, 2pre lies in the sweetspot if you have Mac (I'm definitely aiming to it after they officially release Windows TB drivers).. low latency performance on par with best PCIe cards, very good converters and clean pres.
As already mentioned, RME Babyface Pro is another option, it is also very good card with great software support and flexible DSP mixer.. If you like compact format and bus powered interface with cross-platform compatibility (incl. iPads), it is certainly good choice.. those can be advantages for someone.
Appolo Twin is another contender, if you like their DSP platform and effects.

Soundwise, I think, all interfaces would be very good sounding.. so you likely won't lack anything with your APS setup. So the choice and justified price difference (Focusrite is 200-300EUR cheaper than other two) should be driven probably by needed or wanted features.

Michal
Old 3rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
There are plenty of options, but I believe, 2pre lies in the sweetspot if you have Mac (I'm definitely aiming to it after they officially release Windows TB drivers).. low latency performance on par with best PCIe cards, very good converters and clean pres.
As already mentioned, RME Babyface Pro is another option, it is also very good card with great software support and flexible DSP mixer.. If you like compact format and bus powered interface with cross-platform compatibility (incl. iPads), it is certainly good choice.. those can be advantages for someone.
Appolo Twin is another contender, if you like their DSP platform and effects.

Soundwise, I think, all interfaces would be very good sounding.. so you likely won't lack anything with your APS setup. So the choice and justified price difference (Focusrite is 200-300EUR cheaper than other two) should be driven probably by needed or wanted features.

Michal

Thank you very much.
the Rme and Apollo Twin are expensive for me, so the Focusrite is the one for me.
I also see that there is Zoom tac-2 and zoom tac-2r and resident t2/t4 that also have thunderolt and powered by it. what do you think about them?
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also see that there is Zoom tac-2 and zoom tac-2r and resident t2/t4 that also have thunderolt and powered by it. what do you think about them?
I had no experience with TAC-2R or, only reports by others here.. or its USB 3.0 variant UAC-2R, which is the same hardware except of connection bus AFAIK.
Both achieve really good latency performance and can be affordable.. but I would be little bit concerned about its audio quality..
I've seen few graphs of UAC-2, which has quite apparent bumps at frequency response at 100Hz (which usually indicates some inherent problem), plus its THD and intermodulation distortion can be better for interface of its class.. IMO. Generally, it is better than budget interfaces, but for instance RME or UAD is another league.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/s...13_711379.html

I'm not saying, it can't work for recording or it is unusable (It is also much cheaper), but I'd rather go with Focusrite personally.. First, I have bit more confidence in them with regards of audio quality (btw. love its preamps and converters.. from Octropre, through their blue "irons" to the larger ISA strip, which we have at studio).
I've never heard any complaints.. rather universal appraisal of Clarett audio quality at its price level.

Resident looks like budget interface with Thunderbolt interface.. the even properly don't list specifications at their site..

So maybe you can try it for yourself, test those cheaper interfaces with your sources and possibly return it 30 days or so.. I don't know, how important is price difference for you.

Michal
Old 3rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
I had no experience with TAC-2R or, only reports by others here.. or its USB 3.0 variant UAC-2R, which is the same hardware except of connection bus AFAIK.
Both achieve really good latency performance and can be affordable.. but I would be little bit concerned about its audio quality..
I've seen few graphs of UAC-2, which has quite apparent bumps at frequency response at 100Hz (which usually indicates some inherent problem), plus its THD and intermodulation distortion can be better for interface of its class.. IMO. Generally, it is better than budget interfaces, but for instance RME or UAD is another league.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/s...13_711379.html

I'm not saying, it can't work for recording or it is unusable (It is also much cheaper), but I'd rather go with Focusrite personally.. First, I have bit more confidence in them with regards of audio quality (btw. love its preamps and converters.. from Octropre, through their blue "irons" to the larger ISA strip, which we have at studio).
I've never heard any complaints.. rather universal appraisal of Clarett audio quality at its price level.

Resident looks like budget interface with Thunderbolt interface.. the even properly don't list specifications at their site..

So maybe you can try it for yourself, test those cheaper interfaces with your sources and possibly return it 30 days or so.. I don't know, how important is price difference for you.

Michal

i tried the Focusrite and loved it, just want to have another opinions about other stuff too.
but i guess i will go with the 2pre
thanks again
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

The 2pre has a $40 price drop right now too. Sweetwater has it for $459. They also have a "demo" model for $413.99. Crazy bargain right there.

It definitely checks off both of your requirements, simple, and very high quality top to bottom.

I just picked up the 4pre a month and a half ago. I love it.
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

In the under $1000 bang for the buck interfaces:

RME Babyface Pro if you want the best drivers and lowest latency.
Audient iD22 if you want the best conversion, and hardware by-passable best in class preamps. iD14 for less cash.
SPL Crimson if you wan a full hardware, no computer needed interface.

All of these can be expanded and are all monitor controllers.
Old 3rd April 2016
P99
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
All of these can be expanded and are all monitor controllers.
I don't think the SPL can be expanded...
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99 View Post
I don't think the SPL can be expanded...
You are right, thanks, I stand corrected, I was thinking it had ADAT on it, but it does not.
Old 4th April 2016
Here for the gear

the rme, spl and audient are too much for me.
will check the sweetwater website
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Apogee Duet for iOS/Mac. Add the Breakout Box if possible.
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Except of RME BF Pro, which is kinda special in that regard among USB interfaces.. Thunderbolt based Focusrite will beat all of other mentioned interfaces (Audient, SPL, Apogee Duet) in obtainable latency.
Or to put it other way.. to get same roundtrip latency (analog in to out, in case of using amp sims.. lets say, you like it under 8ms), you can set it to longer 128 samples core audio buffer.. This can relax CPU a bit and allow you to run more plugins and complex VIs.

Michal
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Nut

ESI - U22 XT also looks interesting for smaller interfaces, but it's pretty new, therefore little in the way of reviews.
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
the rme, spl and audient are too much for me.
will check the sweetwater website
iD14 then, but if you can save a little more get a used iD22 in the $350 range, it would be well worth the investment and will take over $3K to upgrade from it, unlike most of the interfaces mentioned here. There's a reason the Audient is the Bang for the Buck under $1K interface.

Do your own demoing & research, many times it's the blind leading the blind around here. Your OP was "Simple but High Quality Interface", that is the iD22 all day long, test one for yourself, you'll see.
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Will, have you actually tried to compare between iD22 and some Focusrite Clarett?
I've heard each alone at different times, different rooms.. I've also recorded something with iD22, whereas Clarett was just quick check of friend's new toy last month and its performance with virtual instruments and listening of music. Frankly both seemed to me very very good soundwise for its price point.
Because if both are at same ballpark, then there is still advantage for Clarett in latency and Thunderbolt..

Michal
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will, have you actually tried to compare between iD22 and some Focusrite Clarett?
I've heard each alone at different times, different rooms.. I've also recorded something with iD22, whereas Clarett was just quick check of friend's new toy last month and its performance with virtual instruments and listening of music. Frankly both seemed to me very very good soundwise for its price point.
Because if both are at same ballpark, then there is still advantage for Clarett in latency and Thunderbolt..

Michal
I do not trust Focusrite after years of their interfaces underachieving in both sound quality and performance. I tech-ed many studio's for years, In my experience, only a few brands stand the test of time, but I'm always on the lookout for something new to grab my attention, the Audient did that.

I have a PTHD rig and my trusty PARIS rig, so low latency recording was not my main concern while looking for an interface for my production computer. I researched & tested for 2 years before going with an iD22, and man it did not disappoint. I actually looked at or listened to about 15 interfaces during that time. I almost went Crimson twice, lol, but the lack of expand-ability and average drivers held me back, but it sure is a nice unit, and I believe they have updated the drivers. I was going to go RME but the Audient's conversion quality floored me, as it stands up to even Apogee in my tests, the Apogee is a little better, but not by much. The Audient is a Pro sounding unit, and I've used many pro converters, it beat out all the Focusrite interfaces I tested, for me, RME, even Crimson for preamp and conversion quality. Test for yourself.

It's also one of the few lower priced interfaces that have true hardware by-passable preamps, a big plus if you have outboard preamps, like most of us do. You can even use the Audient preamp, run out to a compressor, then back into the Audient, many more expensive interfaces don't even allow that, lol. Add a very good headphone amp, ADAT expand-ability and a 2 pair monitor controller, with talkback (you add the mic), in the $500 range..... can we say Bang for the buck!! It will truly cost you over $3K to upgrade from the Audient. You can't say that with ANY Focusrite interface.

I run my iD22 at 64 or 128 all day on my production rig, jump it to 2048 for any heavy mixing duties with Nebula or Acqua's.

IMHO, money is tight these days, every small studio should look long and hard at the Audient. I would have killed for the iD22 when I was starting out 25 years ago.... we have it really good today.

As always, to each their own. Do your own research and tests, don't trust me, only you will know what your needs require, only you will know the perfect tool for you.
Old 4th April 2016
Not much discussion of the Steinberg UR44 but we got one two years ago. It takes midi, guitar, XLR without a hitch. With direct monitoring we never have latency issues. It was turned on then and it has never been turned off, a solid piece of audio gear.
Old 4th April 2016
P99
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I do not trust Focusrite after years of their interfaces underachieving in both sound quality and performance. I tech-ed many studio's for years, In my experience, only a few brands stand the test of time, but I'm always on the lookout for something new to grab my attention, the Audient did that.

I have a PTHD rig and my trusty PARIS rig, so low latency recording was not my main concern while looking for an interface for my production computer. I researched & tested for 2 years before going with an iD22, and man it did not disappoint. I actually looked at or listened to about 15 interfaces during that time. I almost went Crimson twice, lol, but the lack of expand-ability and average drivers held me back, but it sure is a nice unit, and I believe they have updated the drivers. I was going to go RME but the Audient's conversion quality floored me, as it stands up to even Apogee in my tests, the Apogee is a little better, but not by much. The Audient is a Pro sounding unit, and I've used many pro converters, it beat out all the Focusrite interfaces I tested, for me, RME, even Crimson for preamp and conversion quality. Test for yourself.

It's also one of the few lower priced interfaces that have true hardware by-passable preamps, a big plus if you have outboard preamps, like most of us do. You can even use the Audient preamp, run out to a compressor, then back into the Audient, many more expensive interfaces don't even allow that, lol. Add a very good headphone amp, ADAT expand-ability and a 2 pair monitor controller, with talkback (you add the mic), in the $500 range..... can we say Bang for the buck!! It will truly cost you over $3K to upgrade from the Audient. You can't say that with ANY Focusrite interface.

I run my iD22 at 64 or 128 all day on my production rig, jump it to 2048 for any heavy mixing duties with Nebula or Acqua's.

IMHO, money is tight these days, every small studio should look long and hard at the Audient. I would have killed for the iD22 when I was starting out 25 years ago.... we have it really good today.

As always, to each their own. Do your own research and tests, don't trust me, only you will know what your needs require, only you will know the perfect tool for you.
Did you try the SPL Crimson? If so could you tell me what you thought of it sound wise?
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99 View Post
Did you try the SPL Crimson? If so could you tell me what you thought of it sound wise?
I liked the Crimson, sounded very nice with a solid tone, I would have no problem using it for my audio. I went with the iD22 over Crimson because the Crimson drivers were not really ready when I was purchasing, Crimson lacked ADAT expand-ability and iD22 was a little cleaner to my ears, with by-passable preamps. Crimson is a fine unit, and one of the only stand alone, interfaces. SPL makes good hardware. I know 3 people using the Crimson and their work sounds good. The lack of an ADAT port is a puzzling omission, but maybe Crimson 2 will have one.

Crimson is always one of my three suggestions when listing interfaces under $1K, and it is a must if you want a stand alone interface that does not need a computer to operate.
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I might have different experience with Focusrite.. I also touched almost any vendor of audio interfaces, except of maybe Cakewalk/Roland, because I'm usually that guy, who is called by my friends, when something goes wrong
I don't think, Focusrite gear is generally underperforming or doesn't meet my expectations.. However perception might affected be particular product range.. Firewire Sapphires for example (closest equivalent to Clarett) were always rather very good performers and if there were stability issues, it was typically inherited from TC DICE chipset, after TC made improved firmware and OEM generic driver, it was also translated to Sapphire range (and also to interfaces by other vendors who use it, after they accommodate those changes). So for last several years it was pretty good in terms of stability and performance to me and many studios use Pro40 as main interface. Of course with latest PC configurations, people might fall into trap of compatibility issues with recent Windows, mainboards and various FireWire adapters, but this can be expected as it is basically dead protocol from development point of view.
Sapphire sound to me wasn't significantly different from other similar interfaces at its range (like similar Presonus' or MOTUs).
I've always took Scarletts as their budget line and frankly never expected too much from it.. If there was some issues, I usually solved it.. Again performance was on par with similar interfaces with generic XMOS USB chipsets and OEM drivers at its price level.. so nothing to write home about, but on the other hand, if someone want affordable interface with relatively good sound for singing with guitar through direct monitoring, programmed backing tracks, why not. If there was need to go for short latencies over USB, I advised to swap it for RME.
Reliability was always good for me (maybe I'm just lucky).. For instance we use couple of 2i4 and 2i2s for voiceovers at field editing suites at TV station, so they gets really lots of banging.. not single problem with it. USB class compliant interface without driver installation at Mac laptop.. absolutely sufficient sound.. done.

Quote:

I agree, iD22 is very good interface and I also like many features (like assignable switches, balanced inserts), you've mentioned. They really set the bar at its price range two, three years ago. Also Audient support is very very helpful. Sound quality is wonderful, as I said I've also recorded something with it, plus got raw tracks from friends.

But other vendors also didn't sleep and I believe for example new Clarett range also reflect that.. Its price level is higher, they revamped guts significantly (preamps AD, DA chipsets), so as Sapphire is something like 11y old, Scarlett was to me its "lite" version with USB and same accompanying circuitry.. (those ranges can't be taken as real competition for iD22).
Clarett seems to be different and seems to be also favored by other reivews. I'm waiting for its PC launch as I'm pretty interested to test it under same conditions as others interfaces and I hope, they'll do as good driver as it is at Mac OS.

But I'm not Focusrite fanboy, just this particular small Clarett attracted me.
And as you've said, there are choices with different advantages and this
segment is currently pretty stuffed, which is only good thing for customer. Someone will favor standalone analog mode - be it Crimson.. Someone want great sounding USB interface with all bells and whistles, you've mentioned - iD22. Want bus powered compact interface with TotalMix and standalone mix controls - BF Pro. Want TB with UAD processing, go for Apollo Twin. Want TB with no frills 2/4out and standalone mode (it has memory for last mix, which for instance iD22 unfortunately lacks), then there is Clarett.

Finally what is usual base for my current recommendation. If someone mentions guitar sims or VI latency at first sentence, it works like trigger to me. Driver and performance is the most important (everything else is possible to add - be it direct box, preamp or converter), if it won't deliver, then it is for interface swap. So if someone is at PC, then only choices which stands out in that regard are RME (that's for sure), newer USB MOTUs (unless there is some software issue, RME seems to be more solid), PCIe cards (usually $$$, you'll need to add additional pres and monitor controllers) or actually those older FW TC based interfaces, if you have thigh budget (generally achieve better latency than "generic" USB interfaces).
At Mac there are also TB interfaces, which are (with all native TB interfaces, I've seen so far) on par with best PCIe cards or RME..
What it means in reality.. iD22 is no better or worse in latency than interfaces with same chipset and OEM driver (I've used many of them).. If you set your boundary to 8ms RTL, to fit it with those interfaces, you have to use 64s buffer. Those better performers, usually reach that RTL with 128s buffer length, which means quite significantly more processing headroom IME.
If you play live some though VIs, so just output latency is concern, then you can have 256s, which is pretty comfortable for many big projects. All that can be really nice, if you plan to use do overdubs as you go without switching buffers and muting or freezing complex tracks.
So that's, why I believe, it might be good choice. Although other can prefer different things of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Not much discussion of the Steinberg UR44 but we got one two years ago. It takes midi, guitar, XLR without a hitch. With direct monitoring we never have latency issues...
I also kinda like the UR interfaces by Steinberg and IME their drivers and custom Yamaha USB audio chips has been more stable than USB Scarletts.. Also their DSP effects are nice for singer monitoring etc.
But devil is the detail with direct monitoring, every interface has it and there are no latency issues, unless you'll require play through amp sims or VIs, where good performance through DAW software monitoring comes really handy.

Michal
Old 12th July 2016
Quote:
【藤本健のDigital Audio Laboratory】第643回:驚きの低遅延USB 3.0オーディオ。ズーム「UAC-2」と「UAC-8」の実力 - AV Watch

Michal
I´m not so sure about the ZOOM TAC-2R being much inferior to RME or UA regarding sound quality, I was really impressed by the detail the Tac-2R is providing, did not A/B the ZOOM to UA Apollo Twin and the Tascam UH7000 (which I both had and worked with), but the ZOOM TAC-2R was really impressing not only regarding latency but also in terms of sound quality.
sure, there is a 0,5db bump at around 450Hz, but that´s not too serious, I dare to say that´s something you´ll not notice / at least I did not
I mean, really, it´s 0,5db!!!
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
I´m not so sure about the ZOOM TAC-2R being much inferior to RME or UA regarding sound quality, I was really impressed by the detail the Tac-2R is providing, did not A/B the ZOOM to UA Apollo Twin and the Tascam UH7000 (which I both had and worked with), but the ZOOM TAC-2R was really impressing not only regarding latency but also in terms of sound quality.
sure, there is a 0,5db bump at around 450Hz, but that´s not too serious, I dare to say that´s something you´ll not notice / at least I did not
I mean, really, it´s 0,5db!!!
Enjoy your interface.. As I wrote, I haven't had any experience with TAC or UAC interfaces by Zoom, so this was just general comment. I'm sure, it can be good value for the money as their range is pretty affordable and of maybe it can be solid upgrade especially for someone coming from budget category in both performance and sound.

To further explain my old comment.. which comes primarily from the experience with different hardware, evaluation of performance, measurement etc. It's not that 0,5dB bump will be so bad, that you'd notice that, but rather curiosity, its there. IME it's typically just hint to other possible issues.

Side note, I generally took public loopback RMAA tests with grain of salt, because compared to real lab measurement, there is not possible to distinguish between input and output characteristics (unless cross tested with different reference interface), not real reference to voltages, known gain structures and missing reference input and output impedances.. etc. With all of that being said, it's closest to what one will get, when interface is being used for running outboard hardware in analog loop and results from those Japanese guys are in most cases also in-line with figures, what I can replicate with RMAA.

Anyway, back to Zoom.. there isn't just weird bump, but also pretty bad THD+N and intermodulation distortion. Bad compared to what..? Well, they're using TI-4202 ADC and AKM4396 DAC (and PGA2505 digitally controlled pre), as they proudly advertise at product page. Those are pretty capable chips. Unless there is leaking noise to analog circuitry, good dynamic range figures are mostly inherited from usage of those chips.
However, loopback IMD and THD sweep figures from that couple can be much better with good opamp stages, when implemented properly.. (like by 12dB.. so somewhere over -90dB). Those things also comes from careful PCB layout, routing and component placement to avoid such distortions.
Upsampling mode gives cca 0.1dB passband ripple, which is bit high, although not completely uncommon and it's possible to defeat that. 192k mode is total IMD mayhem, but it's also quite common especially at lower end interfaces, where those modes are more of marketing topic and not really used.

Just for brief comparison of mentioned distortion values.. those are some relatively affordable interfaces, I'm also using or had before (so figures are right)..
original 2010 Babyface: [拡大画像]【藤本健のDigital Audio Laboratory】第446回:RMEの小型USBオーディオ「Babyface」をチェック(26/33) - AV Watch
EMU 1212M (pretty old internal card, which I have for something like 200USD):
RightMark Audio Analyzer test : E-mu 1212m
Duet 2nd gen:
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/av...l/d48.png.html

compared to Zoom UAC2:
「UAC-2」と「UAC-8」の実力(36/44) - AV Watch

Finally.. my intent isn't to disgust your interface to you, but rather expand, why I'm not so raving about it after reading this measurement and why can't really put it into same league as previously discussed RME or UAD. It's cheaper, has good latency, but its measured audio performance really doesn't seem to be on par with those. I've never had something from those companies with similar engineering "issues", because they always try to make the most from used components. How important is that in real use is always at subjective decision. So on the one hand it's slight disappointment, on the other hand someone paying more to the other vendors for whole package including refined design.
And last comment to UH-7000, it's also not perfect example of flawless product, there is known issue with interference from power supply via internal flexible cable to input analog circuitry and there is HF noise (most people won't hear that, but can be printed into 96k recordings for example), which is possible to hack (for instance by moving supply outside of box), however to me it's unfortunately more in line with "you'll get, what you pay for".

Michal

P.S.: I'm pretty sure, when some TAC or UAC unit will be passing around me, I will measure it by myself to exclude small chance, Japanese guys got some lemon for the review.
Old 13th July 2016
Quote:

Finally.. my intent isn't to disgust your interface to you, but rather expand, why I'm not so raving about it after reading this measurement and why can't really put it into same league as previously discussed RME or UAD..
That´s ok for me, thank you, your comments are maybe a little bit too scientific for me and I know that some measured data are not top notch, but I´m still very pleased with this device and still impressed by the sound quality
And, as I mentioned before, I also have had some accepted devices like UA Apollo, RME FF UC, Audient ID22 and others, and the ZOOM does not disappoint regarding sound quality by comparison, at least to my ears and my system.
greetz!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search