The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Scarlett 2i4 instrument input decent? Audio Interfaces
Old 1st April 2016
Is Scarlett 2i4 instrument input decent?

Hi yall.
I'll be mixing a super heavy album soon, meshuggah/gojira style, and the band will record their guitars Di-syle, and I will re-amp it in my studio. They own a Scarlett 2i4, and so I need to know if the instrument input is decent enough? Or would it be a lot better to use the xlr-input with for example a Lille Labs Redeye?
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubstubs View Post
Hi yall.
I'll be mixing a super heavy album soon, meshuggah/gojira style, and the band will record their guitars Di-syle, and I will re-amp it in my studio. They own a Scarlett 2i4, and so I need to know if the instrument input is decent enough? Or would it be a lot better to use the xlr-input with for example a Lille Labs Redeye?
A cheesy plastic interface is irrelevant when mentioning the above named bands. What would be far more important in a realm such as that would first be something like the type of amps and guitars being used, not to mention several other key factors involved. Forget about the crap interface..
Old 1st April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp22 View Post
A cheesy plastic interface is irrelevant when mentioning the above named bands. What would be far more important in a realm such as that would first be something like the type of amps and guitars being used, not to mention several other key factors involved. Forget about the crap interface..
Good to know Thanks man!
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Amping and micing guitars might certainly be the way to go here, but generally the 2i4 is decent and not plastic...
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
, but generally the 2i4 is decent and not plastic...
Right.. I'm sure Meshuggah uses it to record with all the time.

*cough*
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp22 View Post
Right.. I'm sure Meshuggah uses it to record with all the time.

*cough*
Did I say that then?

*cough*
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Did I say that then?

*cough*
No, but the original poster did.. well, almost.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

I'd be wary of using anything in the Scarlett line to record heavy guitars. The instrument inputs are notorious for not being able to handle hotter signals from certain guitars. If your pickups produce too hot of a signal, they'll clip the input even with the gain turned all the way down. The 2i4 does have a -10dB input pad, but I've seen cases where the problem persisted even when the pad was engaged.

If I were you, I'd have them record a demo guitar track, and tell them to strum HARD. Have them strum a few chords and heavy palm mutes. If the DI is clipped (or close to it), you might want to suggest using an external attenuator (or DI box) so the 2i4 is fed a signal it can actually handle.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search