The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cool things to do with a Macbook?
Old 1st April 2016
Cool things to do with a Macbook?

I have a strange and fairly involved story, but it ends with "So now I have two fully functioning 2008 macbooks upgraded with 240GB SSDs and 4gb RAM sitting downstairs and it didn't cost me a dime!"

I'm a PC user, and I'm very happy with the platform, but there are a few Mac exclusive programs that intrigue me greatly (specifically Alchemy, specifically interested in it as a sample mangler and sound design tool). I'm wondering if there's any interesting ways I can integrate one of the Macbooks into my setup so I can process stuff with Alchemy and other Mac exclusive software, then use the results on my PC system, with minimal fuss.

My initial idea was just to setup Dropbox on both computers, do whatever I needed on the Mac computer, drop the files into Dropbox and then open them up on the PC.

I then thought "well, that's inefficient, since it has to upload to and then download from the internet", so I googled "transferring files from PC to Mac via Ethernet" and got some articles about using shared folders on a local area network (I'm very new to all this), which is much better than using Dropbox.

Then I thought "well, maybe I could hook up a MIDI controller to the Mac, and then stream audio to the PC via my interface and just use Mainstage/Alchemy like some glorified Vsynth".

Then I thought "well, maybe I could stream audio directly from the Mac over a LAN to monitor/record it on the PC" but this looks a little less promising. I mean, it looks doable from first glance, but I'm way over my head in techie stuff at this point. Willing to learn though!

Anyhow, I'm not really looking for any specific instruction or anything. I'm basically just asking what you'd do in my situation. How would you integrate the two? Would you even integrate them? Am I crazy?

Thanks!

(The two Macbooks run pretty fast all things considered, and are updated to the newest OSX version, so I think they should run Mainstage decently well, as long as I'm not doing anything crazy)
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Why hassle with all that connections. I would sell both MacBooks and PC and buy MacBook mid 2012 Quad Core 8/16GB RAM + SSD. That would give you much power to run many synths and plugins in one place.
Old 1st April 2016
Here for the gear

Since you didn't have to pay for the Macs , you could think about buying Vienna Ensemble Pro, which is not exactly cheap but is the absolute best way to route audio from and to DAWs on different platforms via Ethernet. However, now that I think about it, it acts as a VST/AU host, and I don't know if the Alchemy plugin that comes with Logic can be hosted outside of it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search