The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second SSD - Raid? Install help!
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac
Second SSD - Raid? Install help!

Hello.

I just bought my 2nd SSD - a Samsung EVO 850 500GB.

I have this motherboard:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...674.1459435915

At point 1.2.9 - Internal Connectors.

I have two SATA areas. The INTEL and the ASMedia.

The current 256GB Samsung EVO 850 is connected in the INTEL connector. Should I also connect the new SSD to that - For what I assume can enable RAID? Or doesn't it matter?

The SSD will only be used to contain Samples from Native Instruments.

/ V.
Old 31st March 2016
Connect it to the Intel but forget about RAID.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Connect it to the Intel but forget about RAID.
There is 2 INTEL SATA ports right next to eachother, and then there is another section of 4 additional INTEL ports. Does it matter which I put it in?

Is raid not gonna make the samples load faster or?
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac
So why is RAID not good for samples?
Old 1st April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegaard View Post
There is 2 INTEL SATA ports right next to eachother, and then there is another section of 4 additional INTEL ports. Does it matter which I put it in?

Is raid not gonna make the samples load faster or?
Look in the manual. Use 6GB/s ports with SSDs. If you only have 6GB/s ports (SATA3 or SATA 6G, all the same), it does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegaard View Post
So why is RAID not good for samples?
Only use RAID if you have *identical* drives, and if they are dedicated to a certain task, i.e. if you intend to put the OS on a RAID 0 array, it is a terrible idea as only one drive needs to get an issue (hardware error, partition fault due to power surge/cut/coffee/cola/beer on system), *everything* is lost.

RAID 0 is usable when using 2 or more identical SSDs for Kontakt samples (and maybe PLAY, but I haven't measured that), however, the speed difference is marginal, especially when not loading hundreds of gigabytes at the same time.
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut

Striping RAID (for speed, as you intend to for samples) will speed up transfer, but as others have said, it's risky. Also, most day to day apps do not profit much from transfer speed. In many real life situations, a 400MB/s SSD will not be much slower than a 600 MB/s SSD. The real gain there is the low latency of SSDs. if you load huge chunks of sequential data (like big samples) you may see some advantage, though.

But for transfer speed, rather than raid SATA SSDs, I'd buy a motherboard or PCIe Adapter card(s) and put M.2 PCIe SSDs in there and forget about SATA. The ones I have go up to 2 GB/s transfer. In the case of cards, your older motherboards BIOS may not be able to boot from them, though (but they work as data disks once an OS is up).
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
Striping RAID (for speed, as you intend to for samples) will speed up transfer, but as others have said, it's risky. Also, most day to day apps do not profit much from transfer speed. In many real life situations, a 400MB/s SSD will not be much slower than a 600 MB/s SSD. The real gain there is the low latency of SSDs. if you load huge chunks of sequential data (like big samples) you may see some advantage, though.

But for transfer speed, rather than raid SATA SSDs, I'd buy a motherboard or PCIe Adapter card(s) and put M.2 PCIe SSDs in there and forget about SATA. The ones I have go up to 2 GB/s transfer. In the case of cards, your older motherboards BIOS may not be able to boot from them, though (but they work as data disks once an OS is up).
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...674.1459435915

Look at 1.2.9 Internal Connectors. There are 6 Intel Ports. SATA6G_1,_2,_3,_4,_5,_6.

But 1 and 2 is on the same row and then 3-6 is below.

Marked (A and B). Does it matter which of the 6 I use? And does it matter which of the 6 ports my SSD with Windows is using?
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut

For general use, no .. it doesn't matter, the BIOS should be able to boot off all ports. But I keep my OS disk always on the lowest intel port ... just to maintain a certain logic.
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
For general use, no .. it doesn't matter, the BIOS should be able to boot off all ports. But I keep my OS disk always on the lowest intel port ... just to maintain a certain logic.
There is, below the 6 SATA6G ports from Intel a "SATA Ekspress" It looks smaller than the 6 normal Intel Sata ports.

1. What does this do?

2. My SATA cable from my SSD to the Moterboard, will not fit in this 3 or 4 (pin) port right? - So I couldnt by mistake hook up my SSD to that port?
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut

It's a connector for PCI Express connected devices .. those are not SATA devices, but a faster variant. Even if those tend to be compatible to SATA as well, just use the normal SATA ones.
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
It's a connector for PCI Express connected devices .. those are not SATA devices, but a faster variant. Even if those tend to be compatible to SATA as well, just use the normal SATA ones.
I know to use the normal ones, but my computer is already assembled so its hard to see what row im using.

I couldnt by mistake connect a normal Sata cable (the one that followed with the Samsung 850 Evo) to the Express? It wouldnt fit would it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search