The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your most used distortion plug? Saturation Plugins
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
Your most used distortion plug?

Application id use it for mostly is to destroy the sound, vocals or snare, thanks
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

D16 Devastor 2 has quickly become my favorite. I also use the Classic Textures in Izotope Trash 2 quite a bit, but for more than just distortion.
I have Soundtoys Decapitator, Fabfilter Saturn and others too, btw. I know those two are immensely popular, but for me D16 pretty much killed them with Devastor 2.

Edit: Decapitator ended up being exactly what I needed for the vocals on my latest track. Also use Devil-Loc for drum bus quite a bit.

Last edited by Beel Zebub; 1st April 2016 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Credit where credit is due.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac

Trash is great, really the only one I use it does everything I need
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Decapitator
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Soundtoys Devil-Loc and Massey Total Harmonic Corruption.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

SDRR & Decapitator
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
Klanghelm SDRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaevad View Post
Application id use it for mostly is to destroy the sound, vocals or snare, thanks
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

D16 Decimort, Logic's Distortion and Decapitator. Also, I recommend to check out for some distortion/fuzz pedals.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac
I use WaveArts' Tube Saturator, though admittedly I don't completely destroy sounds with it. Does anyone else use this plugin? I never hear it mentioned but I really like it a lot!

Occasionally I will crush things with Waves NLS. That's not it's usual purpose but it can do a nice job. I just installed Saturation Knob and am looking forward to playing with it.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
SDRR and Decapitator when I want obvious distortion.

Slate VTM for subtle for mixing purposes.

Amplitube/ Guitar Rig for interesting effect

And sometimes the free Softube Knob on bass when I'm lazy.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
I use WaveArts' Tube Saturator, though admittedly I don't completely destroy sounds with it. Does anyone else use this plugin? I never hear it mentioned but I really like it a lot!

Occasionally I will crush things with Waves NLS. That's not it's usual purpose but it can do a nice job. I just installed Saturation Knob and am looking forward to playing with it.
It's great but the CPU it uses makes it a hassle..

But it sounds good enough to be worth it.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
For destruction.. I'd use Decapitator.

It will obliterate.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Decapitator
+1
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

decapitator is my "go to", but there are many many great options out there now, including ALL the above mentioned.... It's a matter of taste, but good controllable (or uncontrollable! ) distortion has come a LONG way ITB since Turbosynth and "chips tool" etc... And some eat up more cpu then others, I have seen some totally crush a cpu, and others be pretty lite.... decapitator seems to fit in the goldilocks zone for me in terms of great sound and cpu resources....
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

Really depends... VCC for very subtle tonal colors, Slate tape/preamps for different subtle colors. Decapitator/Radiator for or very heavy stuff of nice over tones. Same for the Vari-Mu from slate: overtones If I want to go more digital the decimort of D16, or if I want more ampy/airy I go for the s-gear / guitar rig stuff.
Old 31st March 2016
either decapitator, devil lok or radiator, usually in parallel, soundtoys rock!
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Guru
Vertigo VSM-3 I also love Soundtoys and SDRR
Old 1st April 2016
For natural distortion Decapitator, for aggressive, more digital distortion Ohmicide. The latter also allows for some weird modulation, filtering and stereo width tricks.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear
Devil-Loc here too, love it!
Old 1st April 2016
+1 on Decapitator and Devil-Loc. Also using Sly-Fi's Kaya a lot lately.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

I like the saturation knob on Sly-Fi's Axis EQ. Also I will sometimes use Cytomic The Drop as a saturated filter.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

I'm quite fond of the Red Light Dist that comes with Studio One.
Old 1st April 2016
Here for the gear
I run my Fulltone OCD pedal through my Avid Eleven Rack's FX loop. Sound amazing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search