The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ITUNES sounds horrible????
Old 4th February 2007
Exclamation ITUNES sounds horrible????

Hi! today I went to the studio of a friend...she has a new Imac Intel.

I played in iTUNES some CDs of Alanis Morissete and Paula Cole...Really sounded way too bright and with few Bass...she has a pair of Tannoy PBM that I borrowed many times and actually like them alot!

I never used Itunes on an studio to judge.....but Really sound so thin and bright.

It is know that the Itunes players for CD sound so bad?

She has a Lexicon Omega interface ..that I think may sound Ok...and actually many people say sound pretty good.

I put the same CDs in a little stereo on that room and sounded Ok...Like a normal CD should sound.

Can Be Itunes????
Yes I checked the EQ on Itunes..was Flat!
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

did you check to see if 'Sound Enhancer' was turned on?
that can really f-up the sound.

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Guru

Yeah the Sound Enhancer is terrible. Had me scratching my head figuring out what was wrong until I discovered that.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

sound enhancer or Graphic EQ could have been turned on.

itunes doesn't have a sound unless u give it one.

Sound enhancer actually I don't mind so much if you just use a "hair" of it. Just enough so it doesn't really make you notice it. (of course that is useless for actually critical listening / mix checking)

Old 5th February 2007
I will check sound enhancer!
I don't know if that comes by default because I am sure she did not touch that...

will check that!! the Eq was flat and even that way was so bright and with few low end sounded like with an exciter to the top without low enhancement.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

I never turned my sound enhancer on and it was at half when I checked it. That must be the default.
Hell, I never even knew ITunes had one until I read this post.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

when the heck did they add sound enhancer???

Man i was freaking out the past couple days trying to listen to some mixes (after having upgraded itunes for awhile)

Im hearing all kinds of crackling and popping..i thought i lost some hearing after the last concert i went to

Now i found sound enhance, turned it off and everything got better...yay
Old 5th February 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

they added after ry cooder asked for it.
Old 5th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan View Post
when the heck did they add sound enhancer???

Man i was freaking out the past couple days trying to listen to some mixes (after having upgraded itunes for awhile)

Im hearing all kinds of crackling and popping..i thought i lost some hearing after the last concert i went to

Now i found sound enhance, turned it off and everything got better...yay
so Sound enhancer On is the Itunes default???
Old 5th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post

itunes doesn't have a sound unless u give it one.

True. Nothing wrong there.

Like people said, check for "enhancement" options, and remember iTunes can only sound as good as the sound card, monitors and listening environment...
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

iTunes totally screws up the sound of imported CD tracks.

And yes, I know how to set the preferences.

Better to import CD's into Pro Tools or something.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
iTunes totally screws up the sound of imported CD tracks.

And yes, I know how to set the preferences.
This is an odd statement, Max.

iTunes doesn't do anything if you import full-bandwidth files as AIFFs. All these negative statements amaze me. I think it's a great utility with excellent codecs. A couple of days ago, when comparing an Apple lossless file to full AIFF they nulled 100%. Try that with any other encoder.

I'll run a little test today. I'll take a track off of a CD, import it into both iTunes and PT, export back out of iTunes and bring these two files up in a session for the old null test.

I'll report back this evening, but I'd wager they cancel completely.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Much love for apple lossless codec here.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Also, iTunes IS capable of bit-perfect playback, provided you leave the volume control at max and turn off all EQ and sound processing. Even via AirTunes, which is kind of cool actually, considering that the Airport Express has optical spdif output.
Old 5th February 2007
Quote:
All these negative statements amaze me. I think it's a great utility with excellent codecs.
itunes & quicktime dont play nice on my PC system either. always scratchy, glitchy & stuttering. the mp3 cd rips i pull thru itunes sound fine in other programs & it communicates with ipod ok, but playback within the program is awful. dont have any problems with any other audio applications. i always assumed it was some sort of real time playback conflict with mac's audio driver/codecs.
Old 5th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
itunes & quicktime dont play nice on my PC system either. always scratchy, glitchy & stuttering.
PC? well there's your problem right there.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
...but playback within the program is awful. dont have any problems with any other audio applications. i always assumed it was some sort of real time playback conflict with mac's audio driver/codecs.
Perhaps a conflict with iTunes and WMA?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
heh LOL I have been running iTunes version 4 onwards, and it sounds damn fine on my PC (Without sound enhancer)

No st uttering or crashes at all.

On the other hand Windows Media player 10 really does "have a sound" --- terrible compression which you definitely can't switch of unless its a hidden"feature"
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

iTunes + PC (on 2 different machines) works 100% here.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear
iTunes on a PC having problems?! No WAY! (sarcasm)

It's kinda like the flawless performance of Windows Media Player on a Mac! (also sarcasm)

It's almost like they are trying to sabotage each other....imagine that!

Also, I was interested to hear that it is best to leave iTunes volume slider all the way up. I've always kept it around halfway. Glad to learn a new tip!

halcyo
Old 6th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Also, I was interested to hear that it is best to leave iTunes volume slider all the way up. I've always kept it around halfway. Glad to learn a new tip!
its just like anything else digital... you want the fader AFTER the D/A... or else you'll lose bits & have to re-dither again... this could be what ppl are hearing as degradation...

use the volume on your amp and leave the digital slider cranked.

i also just saw something on tv about windows vista having probs with itunes.
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Neil Gaiman has a great bit on the topic:
I'm not terribly religious, in the computer operating system sense of the word. Many people (including my son, a full-fledged Apple person) seemed to be waiting for me to see the light and become a full-fledged Mac convert, and were shocked that once there were Macs in the house I didn't have a Road to Damascus moment. I like them for some things, prefer PCs for other things, and, except for writing screenplays, prefer fountain pens to both of them (and for screenplays I like Final Draft, and I don't mind which platform it's on).

When I tell Mac people this, they smile their secret smile. They know that after we die, we go to a special place, and that those who used Macs will be raised on high, where they can sip their cappucinos and look down and see the virus-infected writhings and screamings of those who used PCs, as the damned Windows users are forever bombarded with boiling projectile vomit from the thousand-foot high screaming thing that used to be Bill Gates.

But I'm sure even the damned people down in the mud will be laughing up whatever's left of their sleeves at those of us who secretly like fountain pens best.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/20...t-in-india.asp
Old 9th February 2007
The whole sound enhancer thing isn't a problem for me... but it's now a very *big* problem if and when I don't remember to tell every single last client to turn that stupid sound enhancer thing off. Unless I feel like mixing the entire album twice.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Listen to a file in Protools and then listen to it inside Itunes and you will be blown away, Itunes sounds Horrible!
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Again: bit-friggin'-perfect. (Windows soundcard drivers may screw things up, though!)

If you still don't like the sound coming from iTunes, pull out your green felt tip marker pen and try that on the area surrounding the onscreen volume control. That could improve things quite a bit for you, I think.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Itunes can't be bit perfect. Open a file in Itunes, and then open the same file in the quicktime player. HUUUUUGE difference. Quicktime sounds just like the track I just exported from DP or PT, while Itunes sounds small at any volume. And yes, with all eq and sound enhancer off.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Proof

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93870

The same applies to HDCD's, for instance.
Old 9th February 2007
I've A/B'd between iTunes and PTHD through the same D/A converter...(avocet monitor controller).... flipping back and forth in realtime, level matched. There is NO DIFFERENCE. It's either sound enhancer, mp3 encoding, the equalizer, or your imagination.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
I've A/B'd between iTunes and PTHD through the same D/A converter...(avocet monitor controller).... flipping back and forth in realtime, level matched. There is NO DIFFERENCE. It's either sound enhancer, mp3 encoding, the equalizer, or your imagination.
Ditto that here. The files completely null. That's pretty much the end of discussion for me.

Just now, I imported a file from a CD into iTunes. Imported the same into PT from the CD. Then export/imported the iTunes version into PT. Inserted eq on each, flipped polarity on first, hit play, and silence occured. Absolute null. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
ITUNES sounds horrible????-itunes-null.jpg  
Old 11th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
its just like anything else digital... you want the fader AFTER the D/A... or else you'll lose bits & have to re-dither again... this could be what ppl are hearing as degradation...

use the volume on your amp and leave the digital slider cranked.

i also just saw something on tv about windows vista having probs with itunes.
This makes perfect sence, but I often turn the volume fader in iTunes/Winamp/MediaPlayer down because the music (mp3 etc.) is so high...(pumping away at 100%) and I have a feeling it's distorting the signal....btw. I use a M-audio Firewire 1814 external soundcard....I just don't like that the level meter in the m-audio control panel is peaking on red constantly and on some tracks I could swear that it sounds a tiny bit distorted and doesn't when I turn the fader down a bit. Is it just my mind playing a puzzle or can there be fact to this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search