The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
list of windows 10 settings for recording Audio Interfaces
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Nut

list of windows 10 settings for recording

Hi All!
I have searched but not found any comprehensive list of settings to change or things to turn on or off like I have seen in the past for previous operating systems... I just got a machine with 10 and was told that a lot of the little tricks that I have done in the past with windows 7 or XP are irrelevant. Was curious if anyone had seen or made a list. I am running Reaper with an Audient iD22.
thanks!
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Addict

A google search does turn up some "optimizations", but honestly, with the speed of new processors and win 10, they are really not needed.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpinebox View Post
Hi All!
I just got a machine with 10 and was told that a lot of the little tricks that I have done in the past with windows 7 or XP are irrelevant.
After eight months with 10 and decades with 7,xp,98se,dos , yes, the idea of daw tweaks like in the win xp (or sometimes 7) days are irrelevant. In fact, some of the old tweaks will impair daw performance if you set them the old way on 10 (the old programs/background services common settings for example).

The only tweaks I've done after several clean installs of 10 haven't really had anything to do with audio. More in the vein of how I want updates to happen and the overall look of 10.

I also do things like clean win 10 installs without the little 100mb secondary partition.

It's a great os for music.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Yea W10 is probably the best Windows OS besides the spyware that looks at your installed software lol.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

HI,
Setting power options to high performance and turning off systems sounds if you audio interface is being used are you windows audio device as well is pretty much it for any general performance or stability gain.
Anything else is personal preferences that do not have any impact performance or stability. Some systems mainly from off the shelf HP, DEll type vendors also might need to have their startup programs tweaked and/or some bundled 3rd party software uninstalled
Do not disable any security settigns or windows defender or especially the windows firewall. If you will be using the system general computer work, i.e. internet, email, etc then get a robust and effiecent anti-virus/anti spyware program. THis does not include Norton or Mcfee products.

If you are only connecting the system tot he internet for windows and product updates and activations then windows defender which is built in totally fine.

Do regular backups of your operating system drive using the built disk imaging or a 3rd party drive backup program like Paragon, Acronis.

If you have to do anymore tweaking beyond this then it is something spefic to you computer system or the computer hardware i.e., motherboard you are using.

Chris
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut

thanks all, this is kind of what i had suspected... any opinions on the usb suspend settings if I'm using a usb interface?
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpinebox View Post
thanks all, this is kind of what i had suspected... any opinions on the usb suspend settings if I'm using a usb interface?
Hi,
I think that is normally disabled when switching to high performance mode.
only real helpful for laptops if you are on a desktop then it is fine to uncheck it.
There is no performance gain with either setting. There is a some compatibility gain by disabling it though. some SB interface act up when it is enabled.

Chris
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Hi,
I think that is normally disabled when switching to high performance mode.
only real helpful for laptops if you are on a desktop then it is fine to uncheck it.
There is no performance gain with either setting. There is a some compatibility gain by disabling it though. some SB interface act up when it is enabled.

Chris
thank so much! I am really enjoying this new machine. I wound up getting a Lenovo P70 with Xeon chips and 64gb of ram and 2 ssd's. It is completely destroying my 6 year old desktop
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search