The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it worth upgrading to Amplitube 4 from 3?
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Is it worth upgrading to Amplitube 4 from 3?

Tried the demo of 4 and it seems the same. You can get roughly the same sound out of amp 3 if you mess around enough and know how to mix ITB. Amp 4 seems more of a toy in my eyes. The tones are pretty much the same... you just have to know how to engineer well and stop being lazy looking for something that will save time. The 3D space can easily be achieved for version 3 if you use a third party plugin as an insert on the guitar track in a DAW. You may save time but ultimately you are in control if you know how to mix. To my ears, nothing has changed from 3 to 4 apart from the obvious "3D space", and the DAW inside version 4.
Old 28th March 2016
Deleted 6aa6ee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetones View Post
stop being lazy looking for something that will save time.
stop being lazy looking for something that will save time and actually mic up an amp, move the mic around to find the sweet spot, and hit record, rinse and repeat till you get the sound you want, in the room you want, with all the amps you have.

Time is money.
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
stop being lazy looking for something that will save time and actually mic up an amp, move the mic around to find the sweet spot, and hit record, rinse and repeat till you get the sound you want, in the room you want, with all the amps you have.

Time is money.
Amplitube is a cost effective way to save time and money. Some people don't have the room for amps even though nothing beats the real thing.
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amplitube is a cost effective way to save time and money. Some people don't have the room for amps even though nothing beats the real thing.
agreed. what's up with all the "use an amp idiot" posts in the MUSIC COMPUTERS forum lately?
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Nut

I upgraded to 4 specifically for the new Marshall models. The room mics get turned off anyway if used in a project.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Time is money.
Yes and record it with DAT tape. And make sure to sequence everything with the latest Atari
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Shnapper View Post
Yes and record it with DAT tape. And make sure to sequence everything with the latest Atari
hahaha. true.
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Time is money.
Lol is all I can say. I make primarily electronic music which I like to lay guitars down on occasionally, if I have the money to buy an assortment of orange, fender and Marshall amps and a ton of mics, I'm spending it on synths.

Not everyone works or wants to work the same way as you.

Interested in the answers, I have amplitude 3 and have seen no reason to get 4, looking forward to hearing what people have to say.
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Besides more dynamic convolution modes what differences should there be?
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Nut

Demo Kazrog's Thermionik - best ITB amp sims there are. There is a demo available so you trial them without spending money, and I promise you, it's definitely worth your time.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear
I'm fine with 3 for what I use it for. I find I can only go but so far with room/mic sims before they start becomming distracting, and less so a natural room sound.

Lately been using Cubase's new amps, and getting good sounds a lot faster with a lot less stress on the machine. If it's something really important, I'll still pull up A3 though.
Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear
I recently upgraded to v4, the new Marshall Simulations are amazing. I really used them heavily in my recent projects. Also, the preset browser has improved a lot.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

I thought version 4 just sounded better than version 3, but it could just be the better ambience effect.

But I switched my "go to" amp sims to Kuassa. They usually sound better than Amplitube for what I do.
Old 30th March 2016
Deleted 6aa6ee2
Quote:
I am actually quoting what you said: "you just have to know how to engineer well and stop being lazy looking for something that will save time."

Isn't it ironic that you make this statement, but yet you use a tool that allows you to "save time" and really isn't engineering in the traditional sense of recording?
Old 30th March 2016
Company Rep

AmpliTube 4 adds more than just the new Marshall-based models, though. The new Cab Room - see below for a synopsis of the new features here - is a huge improvement (which is also a benefit to your existing AmpliTube 3 gear, sonically and with regard to flexibility) , for one. We've also added dual mic placement (with the mics moveable in 3D space), the ability to swap 12" speakers in the cabs, updated power amp/speaker dynamic response, Acoustic Simulator, the effects loop slot between pre and power amp (with the ability to place effects there or on the pedalboard, and the ability to use rack and stomp effects interchangeably in the rack and/or pedalboard), 8-track DAW/recorder section, 4-track looper, and UltraTuner.

Cab Room features:
Quote:
The cab room now has 5 distinct customization sections: cabinet selection with size adjustment where players can choose the speaker cabinet they’d like to match to the amplifier, individual speaker selection where they can swap out individual speakers, mic selection and placement for finding the speaker “sweet spot”, room selection where players select the surrounding recording environment, and a mixer section that allows players to mix the levels of speaker mics, room ambience, direct amp signal and overall main mix. Never before has such a level of control and customization been available for fine-tuning tones from the speaker section.
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
AmpliTube 4 adds more than just the new Marshall-based models, though. The new Cab Room - see below for a synopsis of the new features here - is a huge improvement (which is also a benefit to your existing AmpliTube 3 gear, sonically and with regard to flexibility) , for one. We've also added dual mic placement (with the mics moveable in 3D space), the ability to swap 12" speakers in the cabs, updated power amp/speaker dynamic response, Acoustic Simulator, the effects loop slot between pre and power amp (with the ability to place effects there or on the pedalboard, and the ability to use rack and stomp effects interchangeably in the rack and/or pedalboard), 8-track DAW/recorder section, 4-track looper, and UltraTuner.

Cab Room features:
Throw me a free upgrade so I can try everything out that you've mentioned. Otherwise I'm sticking with ver 3
Old 4th April 2016
Company Rep

Quote:
Throw me a free upgrade so I can try everything out that you've mentioned. Otherwise I'm sticking with ver 3
Nice try
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice try
Version 3 it is
Old 4th April 2016
Company Rep

Quote:
Version 3 it is
Cool. I'll let you know when we change to a charity
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cool. I'll let you know when we change to a charity
Version 3 it is
Old 4th April 2016
Company Rep

Quote:
Version 3 it is
I think you might need a reboot. You're repeating yourself. "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you might need a reboot. You're repeating yourself. "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
,,,or perhaps its just a PEBKAC?
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Tried it with version 4 but the trial expired.
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Head

not worth the upgrade
Old 5th April 2016
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfon View Post
not worth the upgrade
Curious to hear some more details on why you feel this way? AmpliTube 4 is a big step in many ways so I'm surprised to hear this. Thanks in advance for the details.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear
Amplitude, with a D. That is awesome. They should change the name to that.
Old 5th April 2016
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
Amplitude, with a D. That is awesome. They should change the name to that.
AmpliTube is a play on that word
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Head

i own amplitude 4 but the issue is that the standard license comes with a very limited choice of amps. i still need to buy the extra models. and although i recognize the new marshall sims are great, i use mostly ampegs and fenders, which to me sound the same as with version 3.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

I suspect that folks who don't hear a difference between v3 and v4 don't have a lot of experience recording or mixing gtrs.

There is a pretty dramatic difference sonically. But, amp3 is perfectly fine.

Also, how do you download a demo but not spend the time to use it and then ask for a new demo when it suits you? This is a common GS trope that always perplexes me.

Last edited by bgood; 5th April 2016 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

I've decided something. The first sim company that adds a few Naugahyde Kustom amps... and a blue-horn Acoustic 260/261 "Doors" 2-15 setup will get my biz. I used to own those amps and just want to look at a good gui of them now

I don't really care what the Acoustic would sound like as a sim as it was the worst amp I ever owned... except for the tuning-fork siren sound.

The solid state CCR "Keep On Chooglin" Naugahyde Kustoms though were pretty cool.... even as messed up as the wiring was in my k200 head I had a 2-15 version of that too... in blue and later, green. The black and gold sparkle models always looked a little too much like coffins. The Nauga-sim Kustom would HAVE to include provision to changing the gui to any/all of the colors ever offered by Kustom..... that's almost more important than the sound

Dunno why I gravitated to 15" speakers in the 60's, but I'd often switch between my 12" Marshall stack for lead and any of my 15" setups for rhythm. For a time, I loved my SUnn 1000 with two 2-15 cabinets but as large as that behemouth was, "clean" was all it could do. But I digress....

...... a few ideas for Amplitube 11.
📝 Reply