The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thunderbolt 3 connectivity questions Audio Interfaces
Old 28th March 2016
Here for the gear

Thunderbolt 3 connectivity questions

I have a presonus firestudio (firewire) and just purchased a Asus UX501VW laptop. An older revision had a mini display/thunderbolt 2 port, but I see the newer revision replaces that with a USB c/thunderbolt 3 port. I had planned on using a thunderbolt 2 to firewire adapter, which I have read seems to work. I have not read anything about going thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 to firewire, but in theory it seems it should work. Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt to adapters are now available. Dont love the idea of using 3 adapters but if it works fine i have no problem. Curious if anyone has tried this and had success with an audio interface. Thanks
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblehman View Post
I have a presonus firestudio (firewire) and just purchased a Asus UX501VW laptop. An older revision had a mini display/thunderbolt 2 port, but I see the newer revision replaces that with a USB c/thunderbolt 3 port. I had planned on using a thunderbolt 2 to firewire adapter, which I have read seems to work. I have not read anything about going thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 to firewire, but in theory it seems it should work. Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt to adapters are now available. Dont love the idea of using 3 adapters but if it works fine i have no problem. Curious if anyone has tried this and had success with an audio interface. Thanks
HI,
This product is the only thing I've seen so far but not shipping yet.
https://www.startech.com/Cables/thun...er~TBT3TBTADAP

In theory this should work with the Apple Thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter.
then use a 6pin to 8 pin cable.

Of course you will not be able to use the Thunderbolt3/USB 3.1 port for anything at that point.

Chris
Old 28th March 2016
Here for the gear

Right, yeah I've been watching that product. A few sites seem to have it in stock but most say it's coming soon. I'm thinking it should work in theory, just curious if anyone had actually tried it. I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to use firewire devices with laptops that only have thunderbolt 3, so hopefully this work around will work. I'll give it a try soon.
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, yeah I've been watching that product. A few sites seem to have it in stock but most say it's coming soon. I'm thinking it should work in theory, just curious if anyone had actually tried it. I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to use firewire devices with laptops that only have thunderbolt 3, so hopefully this work around will work. I'll give it a try soon.
HI,
Yes other than the possibility of using a whole Thunderbolt port for a legacy firewire device is it. Thunderbolt 3 is windows 10 only so you also have to add in the firewire device having official windows 10 driver support.

Chris
Old 28th March 2016
Here for the gear

Ohh didn't think about the windows 10 part... I doubt my presonus firestudio has firmware compatible. The firestudio project and mobile are, so who knows I guess I'll try it out. I may just need to say screw it and finally get a new interface. Thanks
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Ohh didn't think about the windows 10 part... I doubt my presonus firestudio has firmware compatible. The firestudio project and mobile are, so who knows I guess I'll try it out. I may just need to say screw it and finally get a new interface. Thanks
My advise stick with proven technology unless you like beta testing & bugs.
If was me I would buy a proven USB or FW interface like the RME FF802 or UFX if you are looking to upgrade the quality of your gear then and wait for the whole thunderbolt situation to be sorted out if ever.
I am pretty sure USB is still going to be around..Thunderbolt who knows..It may be the next FW400.
As always YMMV.
TWM
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
We got quoted a UK landing date of 20/04. So I guess, I'll be testing it around the end of April.
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
We got quoted a UK landing date of 20/04. So I guess, I'll be testing it around the end of April.
I received mine a week ago and it works very well with my Saffire Pro 26(TB3->TB2->FW800->FW400). I find if my Asus UX501VW laptop goes to sleep while running a DAW and connected to the Saffire, I've had to restart the laptop for the interface to be recognized. Need to play with that more to see if there's anything else I can do to wake it back up, like disabling/enabling a service or device. Outside of that situation, it's all working very well.

-Doug
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Aye, I've got one of these now and tested them in a couple of scenarios mostly with drives and the like and those all seem fine. I had trouble with a couple of interfaces but I suspect it's a problem with the boards I'm testing, rather than the converter in question or the converter itself. Waiting on a fix from the firm in question before I decide on that one.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search