The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New iMac Upgrade questions DAW Software
Old 27th March 2016
Here for the gear
New iMac Upgrade questions

Hey guys, long time lurker here. First actual post. I've been doing some simple basic tracking at my home on a 2011 MB Pro 2.4 GHz i5 with 10GB of Ram. It's served me well but it's time to upgrade.

I'm going to go desktop this time around since I'll be doing 90% of all recording in my home studio. I've decided I'm going to get one of the newer iMac models. I'm going to go refurbished as well.

I think I've decided on the 27 inch due to the fact that it's RAM is user upgradeable. I'm also going to go fusion drive with hopes of maybe adding an SSD in a few years.

My main question is on processor. Is the 4.0 i7 the best way to go? And is it necessary? I'm the type of person that always wants to get the best possible device but I'm also someone who is trying to be realistic as well. Is it worth the extra $300 for the i7 over the i5? If it's truly worth doing I'm ok with doing it, I'm just afraid it's going to be overkill.

I'll be tracking through either protools or logic. Planning on mainly using it for tracking purposes but also hoping to really dig in to mixing heavily over the next few years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 27th March 2016
My advice would be, it's always better to have redundant power and not use it, as opposed to possibly finding you need more power and not have it. So if you can afford the i7 I would go for it. As there is no way to upgrade the CPU.

For tracking the most important spec on the computer will be a fast hard drive. If you plan you plan on multi tracking then the extra CPU may help, but an i5 would probably cope with that fine. The i7 would probably be most beneficial be to playback of multiple tracks, when you are mixing, and or adding parts.
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Addict
i7 absolutely. Your fusion drive will be fine for what you want to do. Happily switched from 2011 iMac to quad i7 in 2015 - thrilled
Old 30th March 2016
Here for the gear
Bit the bullet and went i7
Old 2nd April 2016
I haven't found i7 in my country, only the iMac i5 27 inches with fusion drive 2tb, it's worth? I have right now a mid 2011 iMac and it's not working like in the old days...
Old 2nd April 2016
RTR
Lives for gear

late 2014 imac 5k, i5. USB3 external drives for pro tools projects. No problem running 80 track sessions at a 64 buffer!
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomonroy View Post
I haven't found i7 in my country, only the iMac i5 27 inches with fusion drive 2tb, it's worth? I have right now a mid 2011 iMac and it's not working like in the old days...
On the Apple website you have to select this machine first:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor.

Then you have the option to select:

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search