The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maschine Mk2 with SSD4 Dynamic Microphones
Old 25th March 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Maschine Mk2 with SSD4

Hey guys, does anyone know if i can use the maschine mk2 and run ssd4 from it? I've tried adding the ssd4 plugin in maschine but havnt gotten it to work...do i need to redo the midi mapping in ssd possibly? Anyone have any tips or have a tutorial link to anything similar? Havnt been able to find much on it.

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
latweek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdice View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know if i can use the maschine mk2 and run ssd4 from it?

Thanks!
You may get more responses here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...hine-area.222/
Old 26th March 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Works perfectly for me.

Load SSD4 as an insert on one of the pads in Maschine and select keyboard mode (on the hardware: Pad Mode -> Keyboard). Make sure your base key is set to whatever the kick is (or the lowest note in your kit).

If you're on a Mac, try using the VSTi version instead of the AUi — for some reason, the AUi version never produces audio in Maschine (at least on my end).
Old 27th March 2016
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Works perfectly for me.

Load SSD4 as an insert on one of the pads in Maschine and select keyboard mode (on the hardware: Pad Mode -> Keyboard). Make sure your base key is set to whatever the kick is (or the lowest note in your kit).

If you're on a Mac, try using the VSTi version instead of the AUi — for some reason, the AUi version never produces audio in Maschine (at least on my end).
Thanks! when you say make sure your base key is set to whatever the kick is..are you talking about making sure the pad i load ssd on, set it to the kick?..do i set that in ssd? could i drag the kick sound from ssd onto the pad in maschine?

Sorry super nooby with maschine lol
Old 27th March 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdice View Post
Thanks! when you say make sure your base key is set to whatever the kick is..are you talking about making sure the pad i load ssd on, set it to the kick?..do i set that in ssd? could i drag the kick sound from ssd onto the pad in maschine?

Sorry super nooby with maschine lol
The base key is the lowest note in your "default" octave. This would be Pad 1 (lower left corner) in Maschine's 16 pads. This defines the layout of every lower and higher octave — if you set your base key to F3, the next octave will start at F4, then F5, etc.

By default, Maschine sets the base key of every pad to be C3. Most drum samplers (including SSD4) map the kick to C1 and the snare to D1.

I take it you want to be able to "play" the SSD4 drums using Maschine's pads; the simplest way to do this would be to load SSD4 as a plugin on Pad 1, then switch to keyboard mode for that pad.

In keyboard mode, the pads on the Maschine controller no longer correspond to the pads in the Maschine software; instead, they correspond to the notes in the current octave of whatever pad you've selected. If your base key is set to C1, and you haven't switched octaves, every pad will correspond to the notes from C1 to B1. SSD4 maps every drum hit to a different note, so in keyboard mode, you're effectively writing multi-note MIDI data to one pad.

When you have a full drum performance written, you can simply drag and drop the MIDI from Maschine onto a track in your DAW, load SSD4 as a plugin, and then load the same kit you used in Maschine.

Last edited by tkaitkai; 1st April 2016 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Made a few errors, edited to prevent confusion :)
Old 29th March 2016
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
The base key is the lowest note in your "default" octave. This would be Pad 1 (lower left corner) in Maschine's 16 pads. This defines the layout of every lower and higher octave — if you set your base key to F-3, the next octave will start at F-4, then F-5, etc.

By default, Maschine sets the base key of every pad to be C-2, as this is a common starting point for many virtual instruments. Most drum samplers (including SSD4) map the kick to C-2 and the snare to D-2, making this a very convenient starting point.

I take it you want to be able to "play" the SSD4 drums using Maschine's pads; the simplest way to do this would be to load SSD4 as a plugin on Pad 1, then switch to keyboard mode for that pad.

In keyboard mode, the pads on the Maschine controller no longer correspond to the pads in the Maschine software; instead, they correspond to the notes in the current octave of whatever pad you've selected. If your base key is C-2, and you haven't switched octaves, every pad will correspond to the notes from C-2 to B-2. SSD4 maps every drum hit to a different note, so in keyboard mode, you're effectively writing multi-note MIDI data to one pad.

When you have a full drum performance written, you can simply drag and drop the MIDI from Maschine onto a track in your DAW, load SSD4 as a plugin, and then load the same kit you used in Maschine.
thanks so much for the instructions...unforionately i just have the AU version of ssd..will it not work with that? i've tried loading other plugins on there and can get sound but when i load the kit with ssd I'm not getting anything? will i need to dl a vst version too?
Old 30th March 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdice View Post
thanks so much for the instructions...unforionately i just have the AU version of ssd..will it not work with that? i've tried loading other plugins on there and can get sound but when i load the kit with ssd I'm not getting anything? will i need to dl a vst version too?
Yeah, I think it's just some weird compatibility bug between Maschine and the AU version of SSD4. I could never get it to produce audio, but the VST version works fine. You should be able to re-download the installer from your user area on Slate's website and install the VST version.
Old 30th March 2016
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Yeah, I think it's just some weird compatibility bug between Maschine and the AU version of SSD4. I could never get it to produce audio, but the VST version works fine. You should be able to re-download the installer from your user area on Slate's website and install the VST version.
got the vst version up and going, I'm getting sound now from it but my bottom left pad of maschine is set to the high hat for some reason..do i change this is map settings for ssd ? thanks for all the help
Old 1st April 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdice View Post
got the vst version up and going, I'm getting sound now from it but my bottom left pad of maschine is set to the high hat for some reason..do i change this is map settings for ssd ? thanks for all the help
Sorry — in my earlier post, I made a few mistakes, as I didn't have Maschine or SSD pulled up at the time. I just opened up both to clarify.

Maschine sets every pad's default base key to C3, (not C2) and SSD4 maps the kick to C1 (again, not C2).

Open up SSD4, load a kit, and make sure the kick is set to C1, and then on your Maschine controller, go to Pad Mode -> Base Key, and select C1. Make sure you're in keyboard mode (Pad Mode -> F1). When you need to change octaves, go to Pad Mode -> F2/F3.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I often use Reaper for writing/tracking, and I made this mistake because Reaper's MIDI editor registers C1 as C2 — when you hit C2 in Reaper, it will trigger sounds that are mapped to C1 in whatever VSTi you're using. Because of that, I'm used to seeing C2 as the kick when using SSD. No idea why it does that, but I totally forgot about this discrepancy when I made my earlier post.
Old 2nd April 2016
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Sorry — in my earlier post, I made a few mistakes, as I didn't have Maschine or SSD pulled up at the time. I just opened up both to clarify.

Maschine sets every pad's default base key to C3, (not C2) and SSD4 maps the kick to C1 (again, not C2).

Open up SSD4, load a kit, and make sure the kick is set to C1, and then on your Maschine controller, go to Pad Mode -> Base Key, and select C1. Make sure you're in keyboard mode (Pad Mode -> F1). When you need to change octaves, go to Pad Mode -> F2/F3.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I often use Reaper for writing/tracking, and I made this mistake because Reaper's MIDI editor registers C1 as C2 — when you hit C2 in Reaper, it will trigger sounds that are mapped to C1 in whatever VSTi you're using. Because of that, I'm used to seeing C2 as the kick when using SSD. No idea why it does that, but I totally forgot about this discrepancy when I made my earlier post.
Thanks a lot brother, got it all sorted out perfectly now! Ended up mapping my own midi map and saving it as a preset after changing the base key to C1, made it nice and custom to whats most comfortable to me...so cool though, loving maschine now!

Thanks again man.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump