The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MAC&PC sharing the same External HD DAW Software
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

MAC&PC sharing the same External HD

i finallly got my new external Hard drive (USB&firewire) to be formatted in mac in MSDOS mode so it works on both mac and pc.

is there anyway to connect both mac and pc so they share the same external HD. the pc using USB2 and the mac, firwire or USB2?

maybe through partitions?

thanks
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Well I would format it for the Mac and put MacDrive 6 on your pc which reads and writes to Mac formatted drives.

You cant have it connected to both machines at once. You could run it off one machine and network the drive to the other..
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Well I would format it for the Mac and put MacDrive 6 on your pc which reads and writes to Mac formatted drives.

You cant have it connected to both machines at once. You could run it off one machine and network the drive to the other..
hmm network you say.. interesting. im more of a mac guy. so i would want the drive to be conected on the mac, so how would i network the drive conected on the mac through the PC>?

I mean, in the mac you just go to network>selectt the computer and mount the drive.

but no idea with pc.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

easiest to connect it to one computer and then share it on your network as stated previously. the other option is to get an ndas drive that you plug into your router and is available to all computer on the network. the one advantage to ndas is you don't have to keep a host computer on all the time.

if you do format msdos, you should realize that there is a 2gb file limitation.

pc translation apps kind of scare me a bit. i have also had data loss when transfering to a pc formatted disc on a mac.

to answer your original question you can't connect to two different computers at the same time.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
easiest to connect it to one computer and then share it on your network as stated previously. the other option is to get an ndas drive that you plug into your router and is available to all computer on the network. the one advantage to ndas is you don't have to keep a host computer on all the time.

if you do format msdos, you should realize that there is a 2gb file limitation.

pc translation apps kind of scare me a bit. i have also had data loss when transfering to a pc formatted disc on a mac.

to answer your original question you can't connect to two different computers at the same time.
2gb LIMIT?!!!!?

everytime you record?

when u transfer data?

what 2gb limit?

the ndas drive looks good, but i just bought a 500 one.

so what do u recomend for formatting the drive mac an pc compatible then?
Old 4th February 2007
Pro Tools 7.3 can read and write directly to HFS+ formatted drives on both platforms with no additional software (it's included).

Rail
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

macs can automatically read windows drives so you can start there.. but i go to about.mac.com there's a ton of information there for you
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

i think we need a little bit more background info. are you planning to track to this drive or use it for storage or what? ndas is not going to be fast enough to track audio i don't think. do a search for msdos file size limit. it may be 4gb for a fat32 drive and 2gb for a fat16, not positive.

if you simply attach the drive to either computer and then share it on your network you can format it hfs or ntfs and then share it via your network with no read write issues. the directly connected usb/firewire computer will have fast transfer rates. the network connected drive will have rates only as fast as your network.

i just share all my mac drives on my network, leave the mac on and my pc's can read write to them. performance on the main mac is unaffected.

ndas is great for something like a movie server, which is what i use mine for. only one computer at a time is allowed to be in write mode for an ndas drive. so it can be a pain.

hope that helps.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

check this out

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutoria...sx_sharing.htm

it explains the sharing side, but it may give you some insite on setup
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
i think we need a little bit more background info. are you planning to track to this drive or use it for storage or what? ndas is not going to be fast enough to track audio i don't think. do a search for msdos file size limit. it may be 4gb for a fat32 drive and 2gb for a fat16, not positive.

hope that helps.

I do mostly everything in the box and have tons of samples which i placed in my internal audio drive, but of course it filled up quickly cause of the songs i worked on. most of the songs i work has audio from the softsynths which i bounce. overdubs are sparse.

i work on a mac g5 and i also have a Dell laptop which i want to use host samples and softsynths and trigger them via MIDIoverLAn and record them via 2 audio interfaces.
the reason being that it just takes too damn long to load samples in the g5 even if its a 2.5ghz with 5gis of ram sdram. so i want to have the samples loaded in the PC.

but i also want to be able to use samples in the mac g5 because some of the sample libraries are mac only and theres also giga files.

im thinking of having the external drive on the mac and sometimes conecting it to the PC laptop to use when im composing or mixing on the laptop.

for that, can i work on a ms-dos formatted drive (formatted w the mac?) can i just formatted normally on the mac as a mac drive and itll work on the pc?

im still confuse on the 2gb limit mentioned above.
is it only recording on PT or any data trasfer. ?

im not touching the new drive until i know how to proceed, just in case.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

the file size limit is exactly what the name says. Each individual file is limited to a certain size. The drive will not allow you to transfer a file over the limit. if i am not mistaken, it is 4gigs.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nutz View Post
the file size limit is exactly what the name says. Each individual file is limited to a certain size. The drive will not allow you to transfer a file over the limit. if i am not mistaken, it is 4gigs.
gaddam! for each transfer! ok, so that put me off. forget u PC!

someone mention to me also that if its pc formatted you cant record audio in PT. which i think is related to what you where saying about a 2-4gb limit.
but maybe is that u cant set those drives to "record" and just does "playback" or tansfer" (in the workspace window PT)

thanks a bunch
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search