The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD2 and dependance in Universal Audio in the future
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

UAD2 and dependance in Universal Audio in the future

Hi-

As i bought into an expensive UAD2 system and plugins, i am wondering what is the level of dependency on UA as i go along.

Since once you buy a piece of normal hardware it is fully independent from its mother company and works wherever there is electricity "forever", I am wondering if UAD systems are constantly dependent on online communication with UA or is the system completely independent and will work "forever" as long as it fits the computer platform.

Lets say i move to the woods without internet, or UA goes under, is my system completely worthless?
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Head

If UA goes under:

You need electricity and a compatible computer enviorenment. Even if they released a UAD-3 platform in some future time you will be able to use your system .. Maybe they will quit support some time after that, but you will be able to use yours nonetheless..
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
I am wondering if UAD systems are constantly dependent on online communication...
No. UAD works fine without being online. You can install updates with the UAD computer being online or offline.

ns
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

They changed their authorization system to an online system. So you can't download auth files anymore. But I wouldn't worry about UAD. They are the most successfull DSP Provider in the history of Audio having sold close to a 100.000 systems or maybe even more now. If something changes in their product strategy they will provide at least an opportunity to download a final auth file for UAD-2 stuff like thy did with the UAD-1.
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

Once you have your DAW/UAD/Apollo system set up and authorized you can take it off the grid and continue to use as is for years to come. You do not need to be actively connected to the internet in order to use UAD/Apollo devices and plug-ins.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
So you can't download auth files anymore.
This page explains how to authorize UAD-2 and Apollo devices when the host computer is not connected to the Internet.

Offline UAD Registration & Authorization

ns
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
This page explains how to authorize UAD-2 and Apollo devices when the host computer is not connected to the Internet.

Offline UAD Registration & Authorization

ns
So this is still possible with the latest UAD Software? Thx
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
So this is still possible with the latest UAD Software? Thx
Yes.

ns
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear
I can still use my TC Electronic Powercore cards on my old Pentium 4, Windows XP machine. As stellar as those plugs are, though, it's just not worth the effort. Nothing in the future is a certainty.
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruffleKing View Post
I can still use my TC Electronic Powercore cards on my old Pentium 4, Windows XP machine. As stellar as those plugs are, though, it's just not worth the effort. Nothing in the future is a certainty.
People are using POCO on Win 7-8-10 with no issues.
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear
Maybe POCO firewire? I have spent days trying to get my first generation POCO PCI cards to work in newer systems. Tried a Magma and SBS expansion chassis and various PCI to PCI express adapters (which end up sticking out the side of the machine, btw). Yes, there are drivers for Windows 7, but the roadblock is the physical as well as electronic architecture chasm between a twelve year old and current machine. For me, it's further complicated by working in Mac world these days. The solution might be VEP 5, but that only works with Windows 7 and up. And what about further down the line? Things won't get any better further down the road. In the end, I decided just to find other tools to use. As I said above: Nothing in the future is a certainty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search