The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony IO driving me crazy! Digital Converters
Old 13th March 2016
  #1
Apogee Symphony IO driving me crazy!

Hi, I hope someone can help me because Im having a lot of problems with my Symphony IO. I have just bought a new iMac retina I7 quad 4.0 32gb ram with 1tb fusion running latest Cubase 8.5. I have two Lacie d2 usb 3 drives- one for files and one for time machine. I suspect the issue is multiple usb devices because it the Symphony seems to work better with nothing else plugged in (not very practical thought). I could try Thunderbridge but not really excited to spend more money to make something work as its intended. The symphony worked much better on my old iMac i7 pre thunderbolt with Mavericks (though still a little buggy compared to my rme fw800). On the old iMac I was having problems 2 & 3 but not 1 which is my biggest issue. I also was running fw800 d2 drives so had hard drives and Symphony separate. I have been talking to Apogee support and have not really figured anything out. I have reinstalled software and drivers with little improvement.

Here are my problems
1. Sometimes audio just stops playing randomly and will not come back on without restarting Symphony. Everything looks normal- levels etc- but no sound. Switching to internal speakers works fine.
2. When starting up Symphony about 80% of the time I get different audio channel levels showing on the unit with a low hiss- this is with no audio play back. Have to restart for it to work.
3. Maestro is sometimes blank (no levels or ability to adjust parameters) or the window is not there at all. Need to restart Maestro.

All these things are slowing me down and making me look un-pro in front of paying clients. Is anyone else having these problems?? Can you not run a Symphony and usb drives together? Im guessing Thunderbridge or thunderbolt hard drives would at least lessen the issues but at this point I would rather ditch the Symphony than have to throw more money at it... Anyone have experience with any of these issues?
Old 13th March 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
I have a similar set up, except that I bought the Thunderbridge with the arrival of my i7 iMac.

Before my Symphony IO completely 'melted down' (it is now already for one month under repair with no indication when it will return) I already encountered issues as you describe (no. 1 and no. 3). So I guess buying the Thunderbridge will not make things better for your situation.

After two years of using the Symphony IO I regretfully only can conclude that it is a very flawed product in many respects. I hope for future customers that Apogee solved their issues with the MK2, but the MK1 is for sure a product to stay away from.
Old 13th March 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I was having problems with my symphony that actually turned out to be with all USB2 connections on my computer. It was something that started slowly and got worse and worse, until my computer wouldn't recognize Symphony anymore when I installed El Capitan. I would have weird things happen like Logic X just stopping in the middle of recording, etc. Also low level hiss and stuff as well.

Turns out it was a system problem. I figured it out because I had the same software on my Macbook Pro with the same OS, and Symphony was working fine. After some digging, I found a thread where someone recommended Onyx for mac (free). Titanium Software - OnyX. The trick was cleaning/system. I did that once and Symphony has been flawless (along with my other usb 2 devices) for the last 3 months.
Old 13th March 2016
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
I have a similar set up, except that I bought the Thunderbridge with the arrival of my i7 iMac.

Before my Symphony IO completely 'melted down' (it is now already for one month under repair with no indication when it will return) I already encountered issues as you describe (no. 1 and no. 3). So I guess buying the Thunderbridge will not make things better for your situation.

After two years of using the Symphony IO I regretfully only can conclude that it is a very flawed product in many respects. I hope for future customers that Apogee solved their issues with the MK2, but the MK1 is for sure a product to stay away from.
Yikes! I guess its possible we just have broken Units but aside from instability it does "work." Apogee support suggested I send it in but like I said it works on my old imac -connected usb2 with drives on fw- aside from the start up issue and Maestro being very flakey. Support said Usb2 is more stable than usb3 and thunderbolt is most stable. I took this to mean I need to pay for thunderbridge if I want it to work right. I certainly dont want to buy thunderbridge then realize it is still not totally reliable. Maybe someone from Apogee will chime in here.
Old 13th March 2016
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I was having problems with my symphony that actually turned out to be with all USB2 connections on my computer. It was something that started slowly and got worse and worse, until my computer wouldn't recognize Symphony anymore when I installed El Capitan. I would have weird things happen like Logic X just stopping in the middle of recording, etc. Also low level hiss and stuff as well.

Turns out it was a system problem. I figured it out because I had the same software on my Macbook Pro with the same OS, and Symphony was working fine. After some digging, I found a thread where someone recommended Onyx for mac (free). Titanium Software - OnyX. The trick was cleaning/system. I did that once and Symphony has been flawless (along with my other usb 2 devices) for the last 3 months.
Thanks, actually a friend suggested Onyx and I have tried that as well as resetting the Symphony and pram. Anyone else using a Symphony usb with other usb3 drives? Has anyone experienced better stability with thunderbrigde?
Old 13th March 2016
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Have you tried running the drives off a powered hub and the Symphony direct?
Pretty cheap experiment.

Last edited by original_min; 14th March 2016 at 12:13 AM..
Old 14th March 2016
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_min View Post
Have you tried running the drives off a powered hub and the Symphony direct?
Pretty cheap experiment.
Actually thats exactly what im doing...
Old 14th March 2016
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgechon View Post
Actually thats exactly what im doing...
Hmnn... Alternatively you could try putting the drives on a Thunderbolt to USB adapter and see if things improve. Like yourself I suspect to much data down the USBs and finding a cheap way to confirm that is what I'd be doing first.
After that testing gets a bit more expensive and a bit of a hassle.
Old 14th March 2016
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_min View Post
Hmnn... Alternatively you could try putting the drives on a Thunderbolt to USB adapter and see if things improve. Like yourself I suspect to much data down the USBs and finding a cheap way to confirm that is what I'd be doing first.
After that testing gets a bit more expensive and a bit of a hassle.
Thanks for your help- Im thinking I might get a thunderbolt drive for my projects- maybe even an ssd while Im at it! Hopefully I can keep my b time machine usb.
Old 14th March 2016
  #10
Anyone else with these Symphony issues? Anyone not having issues on usb3 with other drives?
Old 23rd December 2016
  #11
Here for the gear
 

I have the first one inssue :(
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump