The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
good cheap compressor vst
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Maniac

good cheap compressor vst

I'm currecntly using Tokyo Dawn Labs compressor - is there any (simple / easy) compressor that would be better than TDL for under £30?
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Addict

If you're talking about Kotelnikov, it's one of if not the most transparent compressor plugins you can get at any price point.

If you want something different and easier to use, check out Klanghelm's MJUC. It's a very colored compressor, but also one of the best and a perfect complement to Kotelnikov!

You should check out the MJUCjr to see if the style of compression is up your alley.
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Maniac

thanks, got em both... was just seeing if there was any better options but sounds good
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Guru

£30 is like $50, right? Plugin Alliance has the Elysia Alpha compressor on sale for $79 now. It's a really good compressor.
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Maniac

I like Rough rider for drums and mix buss, that's free

Sausage fattener I like for bass and synths is $29

Those are two I use a lot. Rough rider is great for parallel comp
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Maniac

I like Rough rider for drums and mix buss, that's free

Sausage fattener I like for bass and synths is $29

Those are two I use a lot. Rough rider is great for parallel comp
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

SKnote's SDC is one of the best plugin compressors I've had the pleasure of using, and it's only $30. Disto is also really cool if you're looking for Distressor-esque compression. I've heard great things about the C165a and GTS39, as well.
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear

MJUC for sure. Incredible comp on the cheap
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear

Another vote for MJUC. Versatile and sounds good.
Old 14th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
£30 is like $50, right? Plugin Alliance has the Elysia Alpha compressor on sale for $79 now. It's a really good compressor.
Flash sale, better hurry up! I bought the UAD version(the same thing) after demoing almost all their compressors, it's that good!
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear
It depends a lot on what sound you're looking for.

MJUC has been mentioned, and is outstanding. But don't overlook their DC8C and DC1A (free). The DC1A is very useful and versatile.
Molot 03 by Vladg is free and very good.
DCAM has a free SSL emulation that sounds good, though the feature set is limited
Overtone has two or three in your price range. The DYN4000 is a very good SSL emulation
DDMF makes the New York compressor. I like it on bass.
SKNote Disto is a Distressor emulation
Variety of Sound has a selection of free 32-bit VSTs that are quite good. Thrillseeker LA is a nice LA2A style compressor. Very nice.

Those are good products in your price range.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by macb3th View Post
I'm currecntly using Tokyo Dawn Labs compressor - is there any (simple / easy) compressor that would be better than TDL for under £30?
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear
DC8C and Hornet Multicomp works well beside it to to cover the more aggressive FET style compresson.
Old 14th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macb3th View Post
Honestly, Tokyo Dawn Labs is really excellent, even compared to any plugins you could pay just about anything for for really clean compression.

So if it were me, I'd keep using that for transparent stuff and look at other options for analog sounding items.

I have thousands of $s of plugs, but for whatever reason, people have put out some epic free compressors.

I also frequently use Variety of Sounds' free comps.

The paid for compressors I use are from Toneboosters (Comp & BusComp), PSP (Old Timer), Klanghelm (noted above)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search