The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Send to FX
Old 13th March 2016
Here for the gear

Send to FX

Alright, here is a noob question...

So what is the difference between putting an effect/plugin directly on the track, and putting it on a fx track with a direct send from the track?

For instance, I either toss Fabfilter Saturn directly on my guitar track, or, I create an FX send (using Studio One 3.2 currently) and put Saturn on the FX track.

Does this "Double" the sound (ie. I get my track level but also the fx track level) or just essentially allow me control of how "much" my track is affected by saturn through the fx track.
My brother tends to put 100 FX tracks with sends everywhere (believing its double the sound, double the "beef"), I tend to put the effect right on the track. I believe the FX track is derived from analog outboard gear being expensive and the FX/bus routing allows for multiple tracks to "share" the gear instead of purchasing 15 hardware compressors etc.

Which is better? Educate me!
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudzgear View Post
Alright, here is a noob question...

So what is the difference between putting an effect/plugin directly on the track, and putting it on a fx track with a direct send from the track?

For instance, I either toss Fabfilter Saturn directly on my guitar track, or, I create an FX send (using Studio One 3.2 currently) and put Saturn on the FX track.

Does this "Double" the sound (ie. I get my track level but also the fx track level) or just essentially allow me control of how "much" my track is affected by saturn through the fx track.
My brother tends to put 100 FX tracks with sends everywhere (believing its double the sound, double the "beef"), I tend to put the effect right on the track. I believe the FX track is derived from analog outboard gear being expensive and the FX/bus routing allows for multiple tracks to "share" the gear instead of purchasing 15 hardware compressors etc.

Which is better? Educate me!
Better is dependent on the situation.

No, it doesn't double the sound, (you have control over how much signal to send to the effect as well as how loud you want that send track to be - it does add volume) but it gives you more control to use it as a send/return, plus it allows for you to customize the sound of the effect more.

When you take a signal straight into an effect, the effected sound is the sound that moves on to the other routes. When you use a send, you get the ability to send the original signal, plus any level of effected signal further on in your signal. For instance, let's say your reverb is too big in the lower end. You put the verb as an insert on your channel, so you EQ the signal prior to the reverb. But now the entire sound from that track is EQd to lower the lower end prior to going to the reverb. If you put the verb on a send instead, you can EQ the signal before it gets to the reverb, taking out some low end. Your original signal is left untouched. Now you can also gate the reverb, compress it, etc without affecting the only signal coming out of that original track.

(not to mention you can also use the same effect chains on sends for other channels)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search