The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High resolution recording
Old 12th March 2016
Gear Maniac

High resolution recording

I have been recording at 44.1 -24 bit for a long time with pro tools hd. I have not really done much hi res recording so just out of curiosity I recorded my band rehearsal at 88.1 just to see what it sounded like. Sounded really clean to me in a good way. I know the file size is twice as big. What is your impression of recording at higher resolutions? Is it worth it? Should I be concerned about file size as lots of times I record more than 1 song in a session. I record rock, gospel, r and b and Jazz etc. All kinds of music.

Last edited by LARRYROSE; 12th March 2016 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: left out something
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear

If recording at 24/44.1 is good enough for Bon Jovi (who have sold over 100.000.000 records), it is probably good enough for all of us (providing you have a good interface/converters).

Won't open this can of worm....................... again. But read my signature

PS. And it is NOT money or equipment that stops Bon Jovis engineers to choose otherwise (it's about computer resources etc, when dealing with up to 200 tracks projects. aka real world productions).
I guess they can afford what ever piece of audio/studio gear and instruments they want.

PS. Two reasons for 88.2/96 is:
Lower latency (I know the arguments will show up). Can be an argument if monitoring your tracking sessions through your DAW.

And probably more relevant in these days:
iTunes' own Mastering for iTunes specs are telling us that their own conversion to the proper iTunes format does get a better result with 96k compared to 44.1.

But mind you, this has nothing to do with the sound of your end product (no matter SR you are using), this is about iTunes own conversion methods.
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYROSE View Post
I have been recording at 44.1 -24 bit for a long time with pro tools hd. I have not really done much hi res recording so just out of curiosity I recorded my band rehearsal at 88.1 just to see what it sounded like. Sounded really clean to me in a good way. I know the file size is twice as big. What is your impression of recording at higher resolutions? Is it worth it?.
No
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear
Sample rate

There are a few reasons to go to 88.1/96 but if you are simply recording and mixing, there in not much benefit. This is very true if you only used the computer as a tape machine and mixed using an analog board.

If you are doing heavy ITB (in the box) editing, pitch shifting, compression, or using soft synths, then it can make a big change.

The feedback of ITB compressors, the ability of software to edit pitch, and the delay of converters are all linearly effected by the sample rate because the feedback loops in whatever tools you are using can only respond at the sample rate you are using.

The downside of better sample rates are more costly gear, more CPU overhead, and more hard drive space.

An easy way to think about this is video resolution. If you do you editing at high res, then down res the result, all of the editing get's hidden.
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Maniac

more comments please

I would love to hear more comments please.
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYROSE View Post
I would love to hear more comments please.
Just do a search, you'll find hundreds, this is a recurring thread subject and has been discussed to death.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search