The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
L2 Major difference between TDM and Native codeing
Old 12th March 2016
Here for the gear
L2 Major difference between TDM and Native codeing

After spending a whole day trying to find out why my mixes have changed when I launched on a different system I found out that the waves L2 was the culprit and just the difference between RTAS and TDM changed the compression by 7 db. Crazy, Just a heads up for yall! Be careful when going from TDM to Native!
Old 12th March 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodon View Post
After spending a whole day trying to find out why my mixes have changed when I launched on a different system I found out that the waves L2 was the culprit and just the difference between RTAS and TDM changed the compression by 7 db. Crazy, Just a heads up for yall! Be careful when going from TDM to Native!
The only reason I know that why it would be a difference is if you were hitting the TDM version too hard (Clipping) and then you moved to the Native version and that one can handle the overs much better.
It's still clipping but and a nicer way.
Try pulling down the level before hitting the TDM version.

When you switch the TDM to Native, do you still get that difference?

Marc
Old 12th March 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

By the way, I just tried this by switching from TDM to Native/RTAS and it was a difference but the TDM was a little bit louder. By .4 db.
Old 12th March 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
The only reason I know that why it would be a difference is if you were hitting the TDM version too hard (Clipping) and then you moved to the Native version and that one can handle the overs much better.
It's still clipping but and a nicer way.
Try pulling down the level before hitting the TDM version.

When you switch the TDM to Native, do you still get that difference?

Marc
That fixed it! But to me it's still crazy that it's not the same. I just want the mix to be consistent when I send it off as a session. For some reason the clipping sounds good on the TDM version (less compression happening and louder like you said) so that's how I prepare the client reference. Then I take off the L2 and turn down the shadow hills output level for mastering. Thanks for your help!
Old 12th March 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodon View Post
That fixed it! But to me it's still crazy that it's not the same. I just want the mix to be consistent when I send it off as a session. For some reason the clipping sounds good on the TDM version (less compression happening and louder like you said) so that's how I prepare the client reference. Then I take off the L2 and turn down the shadow hills output level for mastering. Thanks for your help!
No problem.
The L2 TDM version is a fixed 48bit plugin and can clip. Sometimes clipping is good and in your case, you really liked it.
I suggest you print that down to a track since you do like it. That way you have both.
Let the client see which one they like.
As far as the RTAS Native version, that one is 64bit which has a little more headroom so it won't be hard clipping. You won't get that attack sound your looking for when doing it on the TDM system/plugin.

Glad I could help and keep experimenting.

Marc
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search