The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mac Mini Latest Model - Dual Core i7
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Nut

Mac Mini Latest Model - Dual Core i7

Has anyone used, or have used the latest model mac mini? They are only available in a dual core i7 now, no longer quad.

Thoughts?
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

Look for a used 2012 i7 quad-core (either 2.3 or 2.6). The RAM & hard drives are user upgradeable.
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Look for a used 2012 i7 quad-core (either 2.3 or 2.6). The RAM & hard drives are user upgradeable.
Dual Thunderbolt is what has me interested.
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Addict

Benchmarks will show that this new MacMini is way slower than the 2012 quad core. However, as you said, it's only got one thunderbolt 1 port, while the new one has got two thunderbolt 2 ports. If that's what you need, then by all means you should pick one up. Just keep in mind that Apple is about to refresh most of its line of computers in the next few months and the mini will probably be updated as well. No one know whether a new quad core i7 will be offered, but at least a bump in specs and performance is expected. I would wait a bit if I was you.

PS: Found an article on MacWorld.co.uk speculating that a new mini could be released by the end of march. As I said, maybe it is worth to wait a bit. http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/n...march-3472956/

Last edited by michaelpv; 13th March 2016 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: added more info
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

I'd def wait for the refresh that should be coming soon.
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwincalle View Post
Dual Thunderbolt is what has me interested.
Can't you daisy chain TB? Or do you need 2 separate connections? AFAIK they both go on the same buss to the motherboard.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search