The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Clara Rockmore - Theremin
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

Clara Rockmore - Theremin

The Google Doodle today (at least here in the US) is about the 105th birthday of Clara Rockmore.
Clara Rockmore was the first virtuoso performer on Leo Theremin's "aetherphone", now known as the "Theremin".

The doodle includes an entertaining "training" animation, and then an animation of a performance by Ms. Rockmore.

Obligatory Electronic content: It is claimed that Theremin accidentally discovered the phenomenon of producing audible hetrodyne signals which could be used as a musical instrument. Others claim there was a prior US patent covering the principle.
Theremin was reputed to have designed the famous passive "bug" installed in the US Ambassador's residence in Moscow.
And it was a variant of the Theremin used in the famous song "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Guru

I was so happy when I saw that!
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Really cool !
Old 10th March 2016
That was a great Google Doodle. Loved it and found myself looking up theremins on YouTube. Like this one taking things to a new level.

Some cool contemporary players and instruments.

Beach Boys tune is a great example. Sounds like a haunted house / space alien style effect.

Last edited by dadgad65; 10th March 2016 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: add url
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Guru
My grandfather had one and I scored it for my rock band, but the tubes were bad. Big assed tubes! I gave it to a friend and he kept it before giving it to the Moog museum. I'd contacted him after years had gone by and was so happy it found a good home! Lothar and the Hand People anyone????
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear

you have to be in the mood for it, but what an Artist.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Clara+Rock...ai=pSzTPGlNa5U
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search