The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which DAW For ProTools User that isn't PT?
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Which DAW For ProTools User that isn't PT?

I think I'm finally at my end with ProTools. I really like the interface and functionality, but it's a non-stop battle to get it to work right. Every time I change hardware or upgrade software, it's weeks of back and forth on the DUC and with Avid to try to get things to work. I'm tired of it. But that's not why I'm here...

Assuming I've forsaken PT forever, what else should I be looking at? I use a PC. I'd be happy to switch to Mac, but it would be cost prohibitive right now. So Logic is out. I do a lot of editing/comping, so something like more creation/performance oriented like Ableton Live is out. I'm considering Cubase, Studio One or Reaper. I've used Cubase and Reaper in the past, but not for a few years. I like the tight, no-frills feel of Reaper. Everything just seems to work with no hiccups ever. But would I be giving up any functionality? How is it's editing capability? I've never used Studio One, but have heard high praise. I was happy with Cubase when I used it (v. 6 I think), but switched to PT because I liked the editing better at the time. I value stability highly and I think Cubase has some issues there. Or at least it used to.

Note that I use UAD Duo cards and Native Instrument Plugs. Both of those have given me issues under PT and Cubase at various times. Whatever DAW I choose has to be rock solid with those.

So, any suggestions?
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Studio One 3.2 is just out a week or so ago and has improved editing and comping features. Many people have switched from Pro Tools to Studio One and found that Studio One lets them work the way they're used to as it has an option to use Pro Tools keyboard shortcuts. Two very good reasons to install the trial version, IMO.

But go for the Pro version if you want to use VST effects and instruments and/or import MP3s. S1 has its own built-in instruments: 2 sample players and 3 synthesizers, and the Presence XT sample player covers most band instruments such as guitar, piano, organ, and so on as well as some orchestral stuff such as strings, brass, choir but you only get Presence XT with the Pro version; the Artist version has the simpler Sample One. The Impact drum sample player isn't Battery 4 but it's pretty good and very versatile.
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Studio One V3.2 Professional is great for composing, comping and so forth. The scratch pad is an excellent tool for easily trying out new ideas and the drag-n-drop interface makes putting together a composition easy and quick.
Studio One seems to be attracting Protools refugees lately so that might be another consideration.

Next choice would be Reaper.
Old 8th March 2016
Also check out Nuendo Steinberg has a demo.. also you will find it has some of the higher end features that might be needed in the more mixing environments. Things like ADR and dubbing workflows and surround sound support etc. There is also a cross grade discount.
New Features*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Just a quick question, why keep upgrading? I set up a working Pro Tools system 5 years ago, disconnected from the internet and haven't upgraded anything since. It works day in, day out with barely a hiccup. There is a reason a load of Pro studios still run Pro Tools 7, 8 & 9.

My Cubase rig is the same, I got everything working smoothly, disconnected from the net and have gone 5 months without a crash. I probably won't touch that again for 5 years.

Frequent updating and upgrading is asking for trouble in my book whatever platform you are on.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
Just a quick question, why keep upgrading?
I don't upgrade frequently. I held out as long as I could, going from v. 9 to v. 12. I needed to move to 64 bit to use some of the plugins and VI's I wanted to use.
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestar View Post
I don't upgrade frequently. I held out as long as I could, going from v. 9 to v. 12. I needed to move to 64 bit to use some of the plugins and VI's I wanted to use.
I see, no problem. It sounded in the first post that it was fairly frequent. I'm planning on moving to Mountain Lion and Pro Tools 10 in the studio for the 64 bit reason, I have it all ready to go but have been putting it off for 12 months!
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to edit/comp tracks in Reaper as compared to ProTools?
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

fyi: PT10 runs 32bit (only 4gb ram) PT11 and above 64bit (all available ram) ...

OP - you might try Cubase Pro 8 .. or Studio One v3 ... Logic X - i am not a fan but many are .. Reaper might do you right ...

i guess it all depends on are you using Virtual Instruments .. then find the one that suits that best ... if Audio, well PT is pretty good (and for working with studios that have PT already) .. Nuendo is good as well .. not cheap though ..

cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I see, no problem. It sounded in the first post that it was fairly frequent. I'm planning on moving to Mountain Lion and Pro Tools 10 in the studio for the 64 bit reason, I have it all ready to go but have been putting it off for 12 months!
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

My big three over the years have been Pro Tools, Logic, and Studio One.

I started with Pro Tools around 2000 with version 5.
Bought Studio One when it debuted at version 1.
Bought Logic sometime after that because I was working on a collaboration in Logic, and was curious about the software.

Studio One impressed me right away, but I kept running back to Pro Tools because of just sheer familiarity. I too was getting fed up with PT, mostly because it seemed I was always holding back my OS upgrades or whatever else in order to maintain peace and harmony with Pro Tools. I use my computer for more than music, so this was always a headache. I also hated the costs of PT upgrades, and I actually appreciated the subscription model as a teacher. $99 a year was totally justifiable for me, so I bought back into it in December.

All that said, Studio One just released v3.2 a couple weeks back, and it was basically the shotgun to the face of Pro Tools for me. I'm so thrilled to be back in Studio One. It's fresh, it's quick. I adore the stock plugins, and it comes with a ton of useful ones. I actually just got a new MacBook Pro and haven't even bothered to install PT on it. I've learned enough to know to never say never, but things are looking pretty much like it's all Studio One for me from here on out. Another perk, I had learned to live with the iLok, but never truly accepted it into my life. I actually own Slate VCC/VMR but have been forgoing them for now to see if I can get on with the Studio One stock plugins, while simultaneously getting rid of the iLok, and it's been working out quite well. I've even listed my VCC/VMR in the classifieds. Liberation from the dongle!

You owe it to yourself to check out the Studio One Pro demo.

In regards to Reaper, definitely check that out too. I've tried it a few times, but never tried too hard admittedly. It always felt quite foreign to me right out of the gate, so it was hard to feel any momentum with it.

Good luck! There is definitely a bright future ahead for you without Pro Tools weighing you down!
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
fyi: PT10 runs 32bit (only 4gb ram) PT11 and above 64bit (all available ram) ...

OP - you might try Cubase Pro 8 .. or Studio One v3 ... Logic X - i am not a fan but many are .. Reaper might do you right ...

i guess it all depends on are you using Virtual Instruments .. then find the one that suits that best ... if Audio, well PT is pretty good (and for working with studios that have PT already) .. Nuendo is good as well .. not cheap though ..

cheers john
Yes of course it is, I was thinking of Pro Tools 11 which I intend to install on my home machine on a 64 bit OS.
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestar View Post
I think I'm finally at my end with ProTools.

Assuming I've forsaken PT forever, what else should I be looking at? I use a PC. I'm considering Cubase, Studio One or Reaper. I've used Cubase and Reaper in the past, but not for a few years. I like the tight, no-frills feel of Reaper. Everything just seems to work with no hiccups ever. But would I be giving up any functionality? How is it's editing capability? I've never used Studio One, but have heard high praise.

So, any suggestions?
Studio One and Reaper (in that order) are very good. Studio One has the fastest learning curve of all DAWs. It's a one-page GUI - you won't need to open the manual for like 98% of features...

good luck with whatever you select!
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Addict

This may sound like a weird suggestion, but you can get a months free trial on Groove3. They have courses on the advanced abilities of Cubase, Studio One, Reaper and Sonar (if your are staying PC, it is an option) If you have time, you may want to sign up and run through a few of them to see if the things that you need your DAW to do are even available. There is also Digital Performer - they usually have a crossgrade price that is nice. I'm not sure the work flow will be that similar.

I have used PT and Sonar for years. PT is great when it works. But I usually end up upgrading my computer every 3 to 4 years and dealing with it for the next year until PT catches up is a pain. I finally bought a separate computer for music and downgraded to Windows 7. Sonar was just cheap because I started with Music Creator and just kept upgrading. Plus it used VSTs, keeps up with Windows upgrades and is general easy to use coming from PT. Additionally, it is starting to have better audio tools similar to PT, such as being able to manipulate the keys of audio files, that weren't available in earlier versions. My biggest issue with it has been latency, but that could be my soundcard more than the actual DAW. It hasn't always like using ASIO, which is what my MBox2 uses. This shouldn't be an issue with your RME.

I recently got Cubase 8 Pro. I can't really say much about working with audio in it. I mostly have been playing with virtual instruments. I just haven't had the time to really learn it. I've been going through the videos on Groove3 which have been very helpful.

There are YouTube videos too, but I just found the Groove3 to be more in-depth. And they have a bunch on Studio One.
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

I agree about the Groove3 suggestion above. The videos can give you a really good feel for each DAW and what the workflow is like.
Old 9th March 2016
Digital Performer works quite well on Windows, has a skin/layout that looks a lot like PT and it is very efficient with VI's.
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

Another vote for Groove 3, Udemy, YouTube, etc videos as a learning tool. Some people learn more effectively by observing rather than reading the book.

I would suggest having the DAW open at the same time and following along with what the presenter is doing. This way it tends to be retained rather than forgotten.

That's how I do it and even though I have been using say Studio One for many years, I always lean something new each time I watch a Studio One video.

Also, don't ignore the YouTube channels from the manufacturer. Depending upon the DAW you might find what you need there and for free.

Best wishes!
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Nut

If you're on PC, download the free trial of Samplitude Pro X2 and see if you like it.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Just reviving an old thread to say that I've been using Studio One for over a year now and couldn't be happier. With ProTools I seemed to spend a huge chunk of my time troubleshooting and trying to get everything to work together. I got used to spending hours on technical support forums and endless days troubleshooting - pull out some hardware, reboot, fire the session up, see if I still have the problem, shut down, swap some cards around, reboot, fire the session up, see if I still have the problem, shut down, replace some hardware and pull out some other hardware, reboot, etc, etc, etc. Usually I'd end up having to use some kind of workaround... ReWire'ing Reaper for certain plugins, etc. Then, of course, I'd have to do the same thing three months later when I installed some other new plugin.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here, but running the exact same hardware for the past year with Studio One, I haven't had one single issue and haven't once had to resort to customer support or online help forums. Not once. Every plugin and virtual instrument I install just works. No hassles. And I found it a breeze to learn. Barely had to look at the manual. It's extremely intuitive.

Love it!
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear
It's funny how some tools work / don't work for people. I have never had issues with Pro Tools. It has always just worked for me. Very solid, very stable. I have been using it from version 7 to 12.5.
Old 19th May 2017
Take a serious look at Steinberg Nuendo if you need the high end audio stuff ...If you need music and midi you can add on the NEK option ....Or if you are mostly in midi land just get Cubase. Might even still be a cross-grade option.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search