The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Nut

Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD

I have been wanting a new interface and I have been looking at Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD I currently use a alesis IO4 my budget is VERY limited and I like all the features on the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD what I am looking for is has anybody had any real world experience with this unit anybody???
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

I guess not many people here have used one then?

I have one. I've had it since about October 2015. I'm not a gear snob, but I have used all sorts from low-end right up to a full-blown SSL console, so I also have real-world expectations of budget gear.

Well my opinion of this interface is that it is unbelievably good. Not just for the money either. I got it very cheap (worked out at £87 UK) purchased from France online. I wasn't expecting that much from the preamps, but I also believe cheap preamps sound perfectly fine. It's when you get into the top of their gain range that they start to show their shortcomings. I prefer transparent preamps anyway and don't record anything very hot.

However, I have tested these pres out and I'm amazed at how quiet they are. Another engineer friend of mine was also very impressed. It's totally plug and play too with my iMac and Protools 12.
Not a hitch at all. Very stable.

The great thing with my UMC404HD is that it was used for some ADR at my friend's studio recently and the preamp delivered the goods beautifully for a Hollywood movie that's soon to be released: Mechanic Resurrection.

So it's official - it's a pro piece of gear!

Oh yeah. It has pre-converter inserts on all 4 inputs too, which I think is a great feature. I love this thing.
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Addict

I have the 204HD. It sounds great, its stable, has good latency for tracking.

The preamps are very workable but not super low noise, nor do they have a ton of gain. They are fine for loud sources or sensitive mics.

Also it supports multi client audio so multiple applications can share it. Using the duplicated 1/2 outputs on the back you can set up a loopback into the channel inserts for sharing audio between apps.

Im not aware of any other units in this price range that have inserts.
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear
What's the deal with the supply on these?

Hard to find in the USA it seems, Amazon always shows either none, or like some random seller will be selling one for a crazy high price which makes it not the deal it should be

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC.../dp/B00QHURLHM
Old 23rd July 2016
Gear Head

sweetwater might have them - I bought mine from thomann in Europe. I find the Umc's very low noise and the midas mic pre good sounding. Did a shoot out with RME and also with a focusrite - no difference for me.
I have an X32 and Xtr18 which has also good sounding mic pres. just my 2 c
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Nut

I still don't find too many reviews on this thing .. I find that odd being the few I do find are very positive
Old 11th November 2016
Here for the gear

ok so im planning on getting this unit. Had a few doubts though. I want to use this interface live with my band...just wanted to know if i can send a seperate mix to the drummer with a click...and a seperate for FOH? thanks!
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin22493 View Post
ok so im planning on getting this unit. Had a few doubts though. I want to use this interface live with my band...just wanted to know if i can send a seperate mix to the drummer with a click...and a seperate for FOH? thanks!
You have two pairs of TRS/RCA outputs, which will be available at your DAW through ASIO driver. So yes, I believe you can do that.
FP headphone amp output is also switchable between the two.

Michal
Old 12th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
You have two pairs of TRS/RCA outputs, which will be available at your DAW through ASIO driver. So yes, I believe you can do that.
FP headphone amp output is also switchable between the two.

Michal

Alright! Thanks a lot man! Ordered mine last night!
📝 Reply