The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A qustion about a custom sound application I wish to create. DSP Audio Systems
Old 7th March 2016
Here for the gear

A qustion about a custom sound application I wish to create.

Hello.

My overall goal is to create a sound-art-installation.

I am not sure I can form a coherent question, but, God help me, I'm going to try!

I want to create an application (using nearly any language or script that gets the job done) that will accept real-world inputs (I think I have a handle on this part - motion detectors - etc.) then 'do stuff' programmatically (specifics not relevant here I think) and then output various wav files to various audio outputs. I am thinking of a Focusrite 18i20 since I have one handy, or, again, anything that allows me to have multiple (Let's say 8) channels of independent audio at the disposal of the application.

Now, it is fairly trivial to write something in Perl that plays a wav file out the default 'sound card' but, perhaps you can see, I want to have a little more 'granularity' - I want to have each channel independent.

I am asking this because I don't want to re-invent the wheel here. I am sure there are low-level methods that already exist to do exactly what I want - for example - using ASIO to have a DAW send a 8 channels out to 8 powered monitors - Certainly that is well-known and common, but that's a 'black box' to me - I can't get my grubby little paws on it to have my way with it. Can I?

Well, that's the essence of my question. How do I create something that will play a handful of audio files to a number of individual D/A outputs? Maybe this is easy, maybe tough - I don't know.

Thanks in advance!
Mac
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMac View Post
Hello.

My overall goal is to create a sound-art-installation.

I am not sure I can form a coherent question, but, God help me, I'm going to try!

I want to create an application (using nearly any language or script that gets the job done) that will accept real-world inputs (I think I have a handle on this part - motion detectors - etc.) then 'do stuff' programmatically (specifics not relevant here I think) and then output various wav files to various audio outputs. I am thinking of a Focusrite 18i20 since I have one handy, or, again, anything that allows me to have multiple (Let's say 8) channels of independent audio at the disposal of the application.

Now, it is fairly trivial to write something in Perl that plays a wav file out the default 'sound card' but, perhaps you can see, I want to have a little more 'granularity' - I want to have each channel independent.

I am asking this because I don't want to re-invent the wheel here. I am sure there are low-level methods that already exist to do exactly what I want - for example - using ASIO to have a DAW send a 8 channels out to 8 powered monitors - Certainly that is well-known and common, but that's a 'black box' to me - I can't get my grubby little paws on it to have my way with it. Can I?

Well, that's the essence of my question. How do I create something that will play a handful of audio files to a number of individual D/A outputs? Maybe this is easy, maybe tough - I don't know.

Thanks in advance!
Mac
My guess is you won't be able to do it with a high-level scripting language such as Perl. You're going to need something that can get lower-level to the device drivers, etc. I haven't done any audio programming in years, but I'm guessing that black box you're talking about - whether it be ASIO, OS-level or the device drivers for your interface are indeed attainable, and since any DAW can speak to any interface to do what you're looking to do, it must be some sort of relatively standard thing. I'd look into Juce to start out. It's cross-platform I believe and allows for communication to some of that low level stuff.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Nut

In order of entry cost: PureData, Plogue Bidule, MaxMSP, Kyma, etc etc....

Last edited by potscrubber; 9th March 2016 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search