The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
More cores or more ram?
Old 7th March 2016
More cores or more ram?

This is the problem I have.
In large Ableton sessions the computer stalls every now and then for a second or two and the pointer turns into 'busy' icon. Its starting to get really annoying. I would think my computer's powerful enough to handle this.

So what do you think this is this telling me, I need more ram or faster cpu?
Operating on:
Intel 6 core i7 4930k
32G ram

Or do you think it could be an issue with Ableton not being able to access the ram required?
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear
Your specs seem more than up to most any task. How many tracks and live instruments and plugins are you running. And what audio interface set at what buffer? Also you didn't mention your hard drive setup.
Old 7th March 2016
Have checked your CPU & Ram usages in Task Manager?

Buffer setting in your audio interface control panel?

I'll assume you've selected your interface's drivers within your DAW software.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

+1 for checking your task manager which will show you in realtime what is being used. If you're mixing you're going to want the highest hardware buffer setting, something lower if writing and needing lower latency recording in MIDI (which can also grind the system to a halt).

I don't use Ableton, but I usually run out of processing power before RAM because I don't have any DSP hardware and my workstation is old. I load my VI patches into RAM when I can which helps. If you have tons of audio tracks, lots of VIs going, and running plug-ins, that could do it, and your drive speed will also come into play—which also depends on sample rate and bit depth.

If this is a mixing issue, probably running out of processing power.

Need more details...
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear
hi, i suggest the problem might simply be ableton.
Your cpu is fine and so is your ram amount.
personally after loading few vst synths it always starts to have latency and becomes slower.
this is why i ended up using it only in rewire with a host program like cubase.
even when the cpu usage reaches 90% Cubase is always fast.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

This happens to me if I have my Settings to put Hard Drives to Sleep Whenever possible
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Also you didn't mention your hard drive setup.
Exactly! SSDs are the way to go if at all possible.

I also prevent various programs and services from running at startup unless I need them. Certain virus scanners are notorious resource hogs.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

More Everything !

Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Your specs seem more than up to most any task. How many tracks and live instruments and plugins are you running. And what audio interface set at what buffer? Also you didn't mention your hard drive setup.
Buffer size 256, several instruments - up to 40 but running at the same time: no more than about 10 max. SSD for program, hdd for sessions.
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Have checked your CPU & Ram usages in Task Manager?

Buffer setting in your audio interface control panel?

I'll assume you've selected your interface's drivers within your DAW software.
No, I dont because my cpu load meter in Ableton rarely exceeds 30%
Old 7th March 2016
This may seem like a dumb question but how do I disable anti-virus? I got 'disable smart firewall', 'turn on silent mode', 'disable auto-protect'. Do anyone of those do it? Its Norton.
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
This may seem like a dumb question but how do I disable anti-virus? I got 'disable smart firewall', 'turn on silent mode', 'disable auto-protect'. Do anyone of those do it? Its Norton.
Disable Auto-Protect man
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1984 View Post
Disable Auto-Protect man
Thanks. That was the problem.
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I'm not surprised. Norton has had performance issues on and off through the years.

That being said, you'll still want to run an anti-virus when browsing and downloading files.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
All good bud. Norton is a piece of **** IMO. I prefer and use ESET. But there are plenty of other good AV's out there.
Old 8th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1984 View Post
All good bud. Norton is a piece of **** IMO. I prefer and use ESET. But there are plenty of other good AV's out there.
What do you mean it being a piece of ****? Because it slows other programs down or because its not a good anti-virus?
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you mean it being a piece of ****? Because it slows other programs down or because its not a good anti-virus?
Yes its a resource hog.... remove it.
Also try disableing your network adapter when in daw mode.
Can never understand why people have a DAW connected to the internet when,
Working in a project, also with dozens of applications running in the background.
A good manually sized system disk cache can also help performance issues.
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Just use MSE or windows defender whatever it's called on your OS.

Been using it for years and never had a virus etc and I'm connected 24/7 on my DAW.

MC
Old 8th March 2016
I don't even USE anti-virus software`CRAP on my dedicated (non connected) music machines only ... 24/7
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't even USE anti-virus software`CRAP on my dedicated (non connected) music machines only ... 24/7
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

well with there are a lot of good reasons now to have you DAW connected to the net. Most software installs are a LOT easier with a NET connection. It's no longer the 1990's where resources are scarce and OS were full of security holes.

just being able to quickly run a you tube video when a client asks to or email a mix(I'm doing this as we speak) is a simple job when connected to the net.

It has no bearing on how well your machine runs either these days. I'm bouncing a complex mix here while doing this for a client, absolutely no problems at all.

The positives now out way the negatives by a HUGE amount.

MC
Old 9th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
well with there are a lot of good reasons now to have you DAW connected to the net. Most software installs are a LOT easier with a NET connection. It's no longer the 1990's where resources are scarce and OS were full of security holes.

just being able to quickly run a you tube video when a client asks to or email a mix(I'm doing this as we speak) is a simple job when connected to the net.

It has no bearing on how well your machine runs either these days. I'm bouncing a complex mix here while doing this for a client, absolutely no problems at all.

The positives now out way the negatives by a HUGE amount.

MC
I simply do any and all internet stuff on a laptop at my side, isolated from my dedicated music machines. The laptop is specifically FOR the internet only, which HAS anti-virus software...it can serve every and all needs while sitting in my music space. Plus, I don't have to minimize any windows of my DAW's video monitors, change any audio settings, exit DAW programs etc, etc, etc.

Security aside, I find using my laptop, which is isolated from my DAW's so much more convenient. The way I have my machines set up, sending a file from any one PC, to any other is as easy as networking them...which they're not Ethernet networked, but have a hub connected to a KVM switch, which I can connect a USB stick/drive, and can move files in a snap. I use this method because I disable anything to do with Ethernet on all music only machines.

Works for me, I'm never connecting my music machines to the internet...anyone else can do what they like

Last edited by Steve Fogal; 9th March 2016 at 04:11 AM..
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I simply do any and all internet stuff on a laptop at my side, isolated from my dedicated music machines. The laptop is specifically FOR the internet only, which HAS anti-virus software...it can serve every and all needs while sitting in my music space. Plus, I don't have to minimize any windows of my DAW's video monitors, change any audio settings, exit DAW programs etc, etc, etc.

Security aside, I find using my laptop, which is isolated from my DAW's so much more convenient. The way I have my machines set up, sending a file from any one PC, to any other is as easy as networking them...which they're not Ethernet networked, but have a hub connected to a KVM switch, which I can connect a USB stick/drive, and can move files in a snap. I use this method because I disable anything to do with Ethernet on all music only machines.

Works for me, I'm never connecting my music machines to the internet...anyone else can do what they like
+1! I have a laptop with me that's running Ubuntu, that's for internet use. I don't even have a windows machine that's connected to internet, not since 2008. Sometimes it would be fun and cozy to do all the facebook etc stuff along with DAW in a same machine, but I've grown out of that vision.
Old 9th March 2016
Quote:

That's what I was gonna do originally cause I thought the anti-virus would reek havoc on my cpu but it didn't. It was only after I installed the latest Norton360 that it started doing all this, that's why I didn't think it was the anti-virus causing it. The previous version of 360 didn't affect Ableton at all.

So clearly they've added something, maybe too many automatic scans cause it does it even when disconnected. Either way, when its expired I wont be using Norton again.
Disabling autoprotect fixes it but it also messes with my internet speed when I switch it back on again.
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

Guy,s I used to do all that stuff 10 yeas ago, but seriously there's absolutely no need now. MSE /windows defender has no effect on my machine I can tell, my recordings are click and drop out free. My Steinberg UR/MR units are multi client so I can have Cubase open and playback windows media from you tube or whatever over my studio monitors. As I said times change it's no longer a big deal being connected to the NET for security/resource reasons anymore.

Also laptops, even macbooks are noisier than my DAW which is silent so, when the fans kick in it annoys the he'll out of me.

Each to his own, but it's a LOT easier having a DAW connected to the NET these days than not.

MC
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

No offense but....obviously there WAS a need or else the original poster would not have started this thread. Maybe you are saying there is no need for third party virus protection, which IMO remains to be seen with how good W10 security is implemented.

Maybe you are saying the special setups or tweaks to PC's are no longer necessary...but again, one could argue if they were not necessary then the OP would not have had an issue to begin with.

I would not count your good fortune with multi-client drivers as a herald that the situation for PC users has dramatically changed. Just a question....where exactly is it advertised that the Steinberg units are multi-client? Not on their website that I can find. Google didn't help much either.

It isn't....and that is kinda my point. For a PC user to find a true multi-client solution it is still a bit of a treasure hunt. You either bite the bullet with a known entity like RME...or you have to scour the internet for info and hope what you are reading is correct. None of the Steinberg interfaces on Sweetwaters website advertise multi-client operation...so a first time buyer might not know. Which model are you using?

Sorry...my intent is not to jump all over your advise...I just would hate for someone with little experience to read this thread and think the concerns regarding PC's of yore are history and all is now GTG. I have both Mac and PC's that I use and at least with my setups there is and always has been a difference in the way they handle audio interfaces. Both have their pros and cons and special considerations that must be addressed....IMO any decision in this area should be well informed.
Old 9th March 2016
Here for the gear

i had the same problem and my specs are not bad especially when i used my VST (omnisphere) everything seemed to come to a stop. my solution was to move everything from project to ableton to VST on the same hard drive which is also the C:\ drive. it all went very smoothly!! now i even have the ability to add up to 15 channels each using omnishpere! which is a monster.
Old 9th March 2016
Besides not liking internet or Ethernet enabled on my music machines... Unless using multiple monitors, I don't even like opening PDF files on my DAW while working on music, trying to find information to figure something out while I have any DAW windows up... minimizing, maximizing, or PDF window competing with the windows open from the DAW. It's all a matter ease & convenience, and one's own preference.

If an internet purpose laptop is noisy, it can always be powered off, it's not like it needs to be on full time, only as needed. Again, to each their own. Some can get away with owning only one vehicle to do everything in their work & life, while some of us (as I do being an electrical contractor) have particular needs that require owning two.

I have several computers (laptops/desktops) in my house.... with all this, I just couldn't see using ONE machine to do everything.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
No offense but....obviously there WAS a need or else the original poster would not have started this thread. Maybe you are saying there is no need for third party virus protection, which IMO remains to be seen with how good W10 security is implemented.

Maybe you are saying the special setups or tweaks to PC's are no longer necessary...but again, one could argue if they were not necessary then the OP would not have had an issue to begin with.

I would not count your good fortune with multi-client drivers as a herald that the situation for PC users has dramatically changed. Just a question....where exactly is it advertised that the Steinberg units are multi-client? Not on their website that I can find. Google didn't help much either.

It isn't....and that is kinda my point. For a PC user to find a true multi-client solution it is still a bit of a treasure hunt. You either bite the bullet with a known entity like RME...or you have to scour the internet for info and hope what you are reading is correct. None of the Steinberg interfaces on Sweetwaters website advertise multi-client operation...so a first time buyer might not know. Which model are you using?

Sorry...my intent is not to jump all over your advise...I just would hate for someone with little experience to read this thread and think the concerns regarding PC's of yore are history and all is now GTG. I have both Mac and PC's that I use and at least with my setups there is and always has been a difference in the way they handle audio interfaces. Both have their pros and cons and special considerations that must be addressed....IMO any decision in this area should be well informed.

My decision is well informed, I've been doing this professionally for a long time, I'm not some bedroom guy with a laptop. If ANYTHING in my professional studio was unreliable or caused any issues the it wouldn't be there as it get used in the real, day to day commercial sense that I have high end paying clients.

So, the advice I'm giving to the OP is based on 30 years successful experience in the commercial studio world.

I have also built quite a few DAW's over the past 10 years than are running nicely in commercial studio around the UK, so I'm quite clued up on what works and what doesn't on windows and OSX.

MC
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post

My decision is well informed, I've been doing this professionally for a long time, I'm not some bedroom guy with a laptop. If ANYTHING in my professional studio was unreliable or caused any issues the it wouldn't be there as it get used in the real, day to day commercial sense that I have high end paying clients.

So, the advice I'm giving to the OP is based on 30 years successful experience in the commercial studio world.

I have also built quite a few DAW's over the past 10 years than are running nicely in commercial studio around the UK, so I'm quite clued up on what works and what doesn't on windows and OSX.

MC
It appears reading your response you may have thought I was implying YOU were not well informed. I apologize and did not intend to give that impression.

I was simply stating that a newcomer to computer recording could read your response and might come away with unrealistic expectations WRT the ease of DAW setup and operation on PC platforms. THIS is the person who needs to make sure they are well informed on all the variables, choices, and requirements....because that guy who is trying to move up to a real workstation from working on a laptop in his bedroom doesn't have the benefit of 30 years trial and error.

(BTW for the record in 1986 (30 years ago) the "DAW" and computer based recording as we know it today was still a dream of the future. While your unsolicited bona fides may suggest you have experience in commercial recording, your advice was about computer setup not running a studio...so there is no real need to go slinging a resume around)

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by Kamurah; 10th March 2016 at 09:03 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search