The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hello. My Name is JC Biffro. And I'm a Plugin Buying Addict Dynamics Plugins
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Hello. My Name is JC Biffro. And I'm a Plugin Buying Addict

Seriously though. I own SO MANY plugins. Many that I haven't used. Not even once. I've even started buying plugins purely based on recommendation (MJUC & Softube Drawmer S73 for example) without even demoing them. But I can't help it... I get so excited by the technological advances that I just want everything.

Anyone else have a "problem" as well?
Old 6th March 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Not at all... I am now down to only 200 EQs and 378 compressors.

Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

I'm guilty! But I'm selling stuff now and I better my life!
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear
Been there. Got over it. My **** sounds the same no matter what plug I use. I still love to follow development, but don't buy unless it's a game changer.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

I use to be like this now the stuff Thats been coming out is like blah. I learned to use what i have
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear
Ive demoed just about everything out there. But Ive pretty much narrowed my collection down to:

FF Pro-Q2
FF Pro-C2
FF Pro-G
Slate Trigger
Slate VMR
Slate VCC
Slate VTM
Slate VBC
DMG limitless
Relab LX480
UA LA2A
UA plate 140
Valhalla vintage verb
Waves H-Delay
Sound Radix Auto Align
Nebula
Softube bass amp room
112db Big Blue Conpressor
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Think we've all been there. I've been good lately - won't even demo anything unless it fits something that's lacking in my library. I've got my go-to's and I know that some other plug isn't going to magically make me actually good at mixing.

Hopefully I'll still feel this way next week.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post

Seriously though. I own SO MANY plugins. Many that I haven't used. Not even once. I've even started buying plugins purely based on recommendation (MJUC & Softube Drawmer S73 for example) without even demoing them. But I can't help it... I get so excited by the technological advances that I just want everything. :
when do you think you will have enough stuff to start recording some music?
Old 6th March 2016
I love trying out new plugins but I don't buy that many. I feel that I have pretty much everything I need to put together a good sounding mix. And I still have much to explore with the plugins I have.
If I get the urge to buy something I try to hold off the purchase for a week. If I still daydream about it then I'll probably end up buying it. But most of the time I forget about it the next day and move on.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else have a "problem" as well?
I tell you one thing, ONLY COMPRESSORS now i own about 50 or so...
i do not even wanna start about other things...i can even post proofs
of owning them...not just talking...and it sucks, big time, i can't even
make music because of this and yes, i still keep buying. Yes, a lot of
it is NFR too and can not sell it but i am still buying a lot too.
Old 7th March 2016
Hey there plugin buyers...

I'm wondering if you do it just for fun or just for collection.

Because my dad did it just for the variety.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm Darkened View Post
Because my dad did it just for the variety.
Exactly!
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

PayPal is your friend. PayPal is not your friend.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Ive demoed just about everything out there. But Ive pretty much narrowed my collection down to:

FF Pro-Q2
FF Pro-C2
FF Pro-G
Slate Trigger
Slate VMR
Slate VCC
Slate VTM
Slate VBC
DMG limitless
Relab LX480
UA LA2A
UA plate 140
Valhalla vintage verb
Waves H-Delay
Sound Radix Auto Align
Nebula
Softube bass amp room
112db Big Blue Conpressor
May I ask if Pro-MB was uninentionally omitted, and if not why you don't use th Dynamics Pluin (perhaps the VMR takes these duties?) I mentioned on another thread that MB's value prop is actually more enticing to me than their EQ given Logic's Channel / Linear EQs plus a Passive model do the job pretty well for my purposes. I also have Ozone 6.
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
when do you think you will have enough stuff to start recording some music?
Recording music? What kind of sorcery is this?

Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Recording music? What kind of sorcery is this?

So... as a new week begins, this calls for some new purchases!!!

I purchased Cableguys' Panshaper plugin and HOFA IQ-4U+ Blindtest this morning...

To be fair though, these are good relatively unique utility plugins and aren't just another EQ or Compressor to add to the ridiculously large pile.

Help?

Old 7th March 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

I have it on good authority that *tomorrow* will be released a suite of plugins that is a total game-changer, and must-have. The developer is well known in pro audio, however, he has teamed up with a group of talented coders from Switzerland nobody has ever heard of.

The suite consists of 156 individual plugins that can be be purchased at a mere $99 each. The plugins can only be used inside a virtual rack which, conveniently, fills out the entire screen. There will be 38 compressors, 24 EQs, 17 reverbs, and an incredible 77 mastering tools. All compressors sound nearly identical, but have vastly different GUIs. The same goes for the EQs, reverbs and mastering tools, many of which have one knob only, for ultimate comfort and accessibility.

The low introductory price of $14,999 will be valid for 4 days, starting yesterday (iLok not included). Be sure to check the message boards first thing tomorrow morning!

Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Be sure to check the message boards first thing tomorrow morning!

The sad part is probably will check the message board. Just in case.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

@ JC Biffro what led to your addiction and how do you plan to fight it?
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:

So... as a new week begins, this calls for some new purchases!!!

I purchased Cableguys' Panshaper plugin and HOFA IQ-4U+ Blindtest this morning...

To be fair though, these are good relatively unique utility plugins and aren't just another EQ or Compressor to add to the ridiculously large pile.

Help?

So you're helping your condition getting a tool that actually enables it (HOFA blindtest). That's a great strategy!
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
So you're helping your condition getting a tool that actually enables it (HOFA blindtest). That's a great strategy!
Well I was hoping it would help prove that a lot of plugins don't sound too dissimilar from one-another and keep buying more of the same type of plugin was a waste. Blindtest has a built in gain level algorithm as well, although I can usually do it myself.

I was playing around with Eiosis Air-Q, FF Pro-Q 2 and Slate EQ's on boosting rhodes samples at around 1.5-2k, and I was surprised how superior the Air-Q sounded compared to the other 2, especially Pro-Q 2. At least to my ears.

Over time, I'll hopefully build similar plugin chains that I can recall and flick between when mixing because obviously the plugins always react differently to different source material.

Another example was comparing Elephant with FG-X. I thought Elephant would blow FG-X out of the water, but in fact, Elephant slightly distorted my low end compared to the FG-X which sounded more natural. Now that. Was an eye-opener for me.

That HOFA plugin...
Old 7th March 2016
Indeed - that HOFA plugin looks useful, wish I had more time to play with it...
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Addict

I'm down to stock Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 9 plugs.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

As an addiction, drinking is a lot cheaper and you get to use everything you buy.

I used to have a plugin addiction back in 2007/8 but I'm ok now. I had to stop hanging out with people who use plugs and hang out with normal people that drink.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
I'm down to stock Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 9 plugs.
Fortunately, both have the best plugins in the business, IMO. Ableton gets some help from Cytomic, too, and that's nothing to sneeze at!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search