The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weird Clock Issue (going backwards)
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Weird Clock Issue (going backwards)

So, my new PC (intel i7, Asus mobo) does this weird thing where the clock will eventually lose time and even go backwards at times. I have it set to auto sync with the internet, but I think it only does this once per day, so it loses track often. The real reason that it's a problem is that my iLoks get angry and make me fix my clock several times per day. I think it is assuming I changed the time on my clock in order to not lose trial versions of plugins maybe? I don't have any demos right now. Everything is paid for. Also, I'm on Windows 7.

Please help?!

Neil
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Maniac
That's bizarre. Usually you only see that with bad CMOS batteries. Are you shutting your PC off, or using hibernation or sleep? Does the problem go away if you leave the computer on?

Just as an aside, I sync my computers to us.pool.ntp.org instead of the default (I think it's time.windows.com) because I've occasionally had connection problems.
Old 7th March 2016
Well, it WAS leap year just the other day
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

It doesn't matter if I shut it down or not. I can watch it happen while working. I thought CMOS too, but I really don't think so. Virus Scan hasn't picked up anything. I have tried syncing with almost every source.

Neil
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Why not just turn off syncing to internet time? Who cares if the time on the computer is to the second acurate, it's something you can adjust manually if it gets too out of wack. Syncing time is a background task that you typically turn off when tweeking a computer for best DAW performance regardless.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Why not just turn off syncing to internet time? Who cares if the time on the computer is to the second acurate, it's something you can adjust manually if it gets too out of wack. Syncing time is a background task that you typically turn off when tweeking a computer for best DAW performance regardless.
I have had it turned off. It immediately gets so far off that my iLok freezes my session and demands that I fix my clock. That is what the problem is.

Neil
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

By the way, I don't mean that it gets off by a few seconds. Sometimes I look at it and it went all the way back to yesterday.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

I'd then check with your motherboard's forums / posts to see if it's a common problem with that board. Off the top of my head I'd say replace the motherboard's battery and update - reflash the bios. It's not a normal thing to loose a day's time that fast.

Check this link out for possible answers: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reaso...ses-time-date/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search