The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LIO8/ULN8, monitor controller gurus please! MIDI Processors
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

LIO8/ULN8, monitor controller gurus please!

Hi, just setting up my gorgeous new LIO-8 and have a specific early task and spent a fair while working on it but no joy yet :(

As yet I don't have any extra outs beyond analog 1/2 on the back of the box itself. These are hooked up to my monitors and are playing back DAW 1/2 no problem. What I want to do is have DAW 3/4 go out of the headphones but NOT the monitors.

Can anyone clue me up as to mixer setup and I think more importantly monitor controller setup so as to get this happening?

First impressions-wise moving up to the LIO-8 from a ULN-2 is....like I've had my ears cleaned with smooth silk. I foresee a few delicious days of listening
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

You might try posting your question to the MIO mailing list - it's a great resource for detailed stuff like this (I'm still in ULN-2 land so afraid I can't help - but appreciate your comments on the difference!).

https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/mobileio
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

You need to configure your MIO console software according to how you want your LIO-8 to be setup. Then save the configuration. You also need to setup the monitor controller software how you want. Tons of instructions/videos on setup on MH support website.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

You need to spend some time watching tutorials.

Tutorials

I will add that the headphone jack on the unit is a mult of whatever is going to analog 1/2. To have a separate mix to listen to requires routing DAW 3/4 to a new bus. To do that requires you having a mixer with the minimum of strip with DAW 3/4 as it's input and sending that to a master bus you create in the mixer. I don't recall if you have to actually send this new master bus to an analog out to also assign it to the monitor controller. Regardless, you then assign this new master bus to the monitor controller so clicking on it in the window changes what your listening to from DAW 1/2 to DAW 3/4.

But really, the sh!t is dense so you should watch the videos.

Last edited by swafford; 6th March 2016 at 08:04 PM..
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks and yes I do need to spend some time learning this beast, or at least the parts I need. I'm not normally a piecemeal hand-holder, but time was limited.

Anyways, thanks to the list suggestion I got a perfect answer/file in minutes. Sincere thanks to whoever sent it
It's tricky for me to explain but if anyone is interested PM me and I'm happy to share the love.

What a box though, the ULN-2 was good but this is viscerally different. I'm only listening so far but very interested to see effects on recordings and mixes too.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Straight from the Metric mouth:

"Simplest version of this is to have whatever setup you want and is already working for Analog 1+2.

Then, use the config mixer to add a strip for DAW 3+4 to your mix bus.
Mute the strip so that DAW 3+4 doesn't actually go to your mix.
Route the DAW 3+4 strip to the Cans outputs via the direct out (either pre-insert or post insert).
- to do this you'll have to make sure that nothing is already routed to the Cans anywhere else in the mixer or MC (will show greyed out 'cans')

That will give your DAW 1+2 output over Analog 1+2 (plus any other mixing you have set up), and will also give you DAW 3+4 out to the Cans."

and if your cans are greyed out:

"what you need to do to be able to route to the Cans is unmult for the master out.

Just hold the <shift> key down while you select the "Cans L/R" from the popup at the bottom of the main output strip; that will remove the mult.

Then you can assign it on the direct out…"
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search