The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sample NAS for Vienna Ensemble Pro
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Head

Sample NAS for Vienna Ensemble Pro

Hi all,

I've been running out of drive space recently and upon evaluating my current internal and external drives, it seems like i'm just 1-upping myself each time this happens. For example, I have multiple drives including a 500GB, 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 3TB etc... Actually multiple 3TB, but all of different brands (whatever was cheapest at the time of buying).

Now I'm running out of ports to plug these into and it takes up far more space than it needs to. I was thinking of building a NAS just for my backups; buy a nice hot-swappable rack case, just add high capacity 3.5" drives as and when I need them. Then I had the thought to consolidate my storage further.

I have a couple of rigs at the moment, one is the main rig that runs Pro Tools and samples in Vienna, the other is just a Vienna slave. They each have a couple of drives for samples (and a couple of backups too).

Can anyone see any potential problems with me running a redundant RAID system (likely RAID6, so that up to 2 drives can fail but I will still have good write speeds) and using this as my sample drive AS WELL AS system backups etc.? I was thinking of building my own NAS and using freenas or unraid for more flexibility. Surely if I get a good network card for the NAS and get at least 4x1Gb NICs, and plug everything into a big enough network switch, that should give me the bandwidth, right?

Thanks in advance
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search