The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Promo Audio Interfaces
Old 6th March 2016
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Promo

First off I'm not familiar with UA promotions. Having said that I just purchased the UA Apollo Twin USB and according to their website it would include some plugins "Realtime Analog Classics Bundle". Well now I see a promo that ends March 31st which lets me have UA 610-A Tube Preamp & EQ Plug-In,
EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In,
Bermuda Triangle Distortion Plug-In.

Is this pretty much their style? did I get anything good? The Bundle includes the B version of the same mic pre. I get the plate(now I don't have to eat out of a pan)reverb. Oh and some pedal emulation. I'm not sure if I'm suppose to get wildly excited or not. I've never used UA before. I've watched their demo videos and aside from the obvious shill-videos I guess the plugins sounded good. I mean in comparison the Waves product demo videos sometimes sounded like nothing happened. I have 3 Waves plugins...Fairchild, pultec and convolution reverb(latter of which I've yet to try).

So I should be able to book Paul McCartney or something now? :D
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

It is their style. They pretty much always do promotions like this. Their plugins are pricey, but you wait for the sales to buy their stuff. But like a lot of plugin companies, they run sales often enough to try bring people in. It's the nature of the game. Not to burst your bubble, but your deal is pretty standard. The difference between now and another time is that they might offer different plugins with it instead.
Old 6th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
It is their style. They pretty much always do promotions like this. Their plugins are pricey, but you wait for the sales to buy their stuff. But like a lot of plugin companies, they run sales often enough to try bring people in. It's the nature of the game. Not to burst your bubble, but your deal is pretty standard. The difference between now and another time is that they might offer different plugins with it instead.
It wasn't much of a bubble. Possibly soda fizz. Just trying to soak things up. I remember like buying from East West and all their promotions. I've certainly seen the promotions with Waves. I created my own promotion and talked the dealer down from $899. I do still look forward to trying their plugins on for size.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

Get excited about the EMT140. I put that stuff on everything.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelictrip View Post
I created my own promotion and talked the dealer down from $899.
Talked which dealer down to what?
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
Talked which dealer down to what?
Can't remember their name off the top of my head but down to $830.
Old 7th March 2016
The EMT 140 is fantastic. Might not be the best emulation of the real thing but it just works so well that I don't care. It is one of the most highly regarded plate reverbs for a reason. I also got this free with my Twin during another promo. But I would certainly have paid for it.

The Bermuda is a good emulation of the Big Muff I think. Certainly overpriced considering the price of the hardware, but that's not a valid complaint if you get it for free.

The two 610 preamps are quite different from each other. I rarely use any of them for tracking personally, but I sometimes end up using them when mixing to color the tracks, and then I usually go for the 610-A. Would not have paid for it however.
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilznik View Post
Get excited about the EMT140. I put that stuff on everything.
I'm sure I'll like something about it.
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
The EMT 140 is fantastic. Might not be the best emulation of the real thing but it just works so well that I don't care. It is one of the most highly regarded plate reverbs for a reason. I also got this free with my Twin during another promo. But I would certainly have paid for it.

The Bermuda is a good emulation of the Big Muff I think. Certainly overpriced considering the price of the hardware, but that's not a valid complaint if you get it for free.

The two 610 preamps are quite different from each other. I rarely use any of them for tracking personally, but I sometimes end up using them when mixing to color the tracks, and then I usually go for the 610-A. Would not have paid for it however.
Yeah I read pages upon pages here where the real ones were being compared to the emulation. A big muff is doable on the hardware level if not improvable. Having the room or the means to acquire a plate reverb and experience to maintain one is not. I know the difference in feel. I can best relate to amps. I've tried a couple amp simulators and while they can create interesting and even fantastic sounds they lack the ebb and the tide of a real tube amp that goes through several phases. Even during a session the amp will mellow over time and lose some of the harshness. The notes become rounder and things are not quite as loud. Then there's that whole, je ne sais quoi aspect. It's like the hardware is a living breathing thing. Reverb is one of my favorite effects...if not most favorite. So I'm sure if atmosphere is to be had I will find a space I like. I sometimes just like practicing with either an acoustic or electric singing in a nice echo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search