The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best soft sampler for Sonic Implant Stings
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Best soft sampler for Sonic Implant Strings

What would be the best choice for a sampler? Kontakt? Giga?
Also, if I already have a sample library that has a built in sampler, can it be used for other samples?
I.e. the sampler that is built into Miroslav or Motu Ethno?
THANKS.
AB

Last edited by AB3; 2nd February 2007 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: fixing spelling in heading!
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Nut

Just depends on what you want to do. Gigastudio really requires its own dedicated computer, so if you have the extra pieces to make that happen sitting around its a good option... Kontakt2 is a solid and wonderful sampler but its not one of the better ones when it comes to CPU effeciency and if you are only using a given sampler to play back big libraries and not doing much programming of your own then really there is little reason to use Kontakt. Giga Virtual Instrument might work, i havent used it but I think its supposed to be pretty well optimized and there is a wealth of stuff in Giga format that is useful.

The sampler that came with your 2 libaries is whats called a "Sample Player." Those are using the Kompakt engine I think and can be loaded in Kontakt as they use the same format, you cannot load non-Kompakt libraries into the Kompakt player.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Just noticed I did not type strings in the thread header! Anyone at GS is free to fix that!
Anyway, thanks for taking the time for a detailed response. I am not sure if you are saying I can get sonic implants strings and put it in the Kontakt engines I already have from other libraries, but I will call Sonic Implants tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_venom View Post
Just depends on what you want to do. Gigastudio really requires its own dedicated computer, so if you have the extra pieces to make that happen sitting around its a good option... Kontakt2 is a solid and wonderful sampler but its not one of the better ones when it comes to CPU effeciency and if you are only using a given sampler to play back big libraries and not doing much programming of your own then really there is little reason to use Kontakt. Giga Virtual Instrument might work, i havent used it but I think its supposed to be pretty well optimized and there is a wealth of stuff in Giga format that is useful.

The sampler that came with your 2 libaries is whats called a "Sample Player." Those are using the Kompakt engine I think and can be loaded in Kontakt as they use the same format, you cannot load non-Kompakt libraries into the Kompakt player.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear
I don't think you can play the Sonic Implants strings (or any other samples for that matter) through the 'samplers' you have. Those aren't really samplers, they are 'sample players', as far as I understand.

By the way, those Sonic Implants Strings sound ASTOUNDING in all those audio demos I've heard. By far the most convincing strings I've heard...PERIOD..

halcyo
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

THANKS! Do you have a sampler recommendation for the Sonic Implant Strings or am I just best off asking them on the phone? (Would like limited impact on CPU/ram if possible!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
I don't think you can play the Sonic Implants strings (or any other samples for that matter) through the 'samplers' you have. Those aren't really samplers, they are 'sample players', as far as I understand.

By the way, those Sonic Implants Strings sound ASTOUNDING in all those audio demos I've heard. By far the most convincing strings I've heard...PERIOD..

halcyo
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

That's an easy one, Kontakt 2 because it takes advantage of scripting. GS3 is really weak when it comes to scripting. Believe me, i tried both and you would be making a big mistake if you got GS3. K2 scripting will give believable legato(not like the real thing but close), but GS3 won't.tutt BTW, the reason they made it available for K2 is because lots of people asked for it... they were just not interested in GS3 simply because it did not have K2 scripting ability.( Note that i don't mean to trash GS3 here).

Also, you SHOULD cheak out the new VSL appassionata strings. Much better with real legato, portamento, etc.. Don't believe me? Listen.

http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

The link may not be working but you REALLY should listen to the demos before you do anything, you will tank me later.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

The link doesn't work but you will find the demos on the VSL Vienna Symphonic Library in the Vienna 2 section under appassionata strings.

Tell me what you think!
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I did listen to the demo. Great for its particular sound. But I would need more variation - i.e. solo cello. BUT for that particular sound, it was truly great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
The link doesn't work but you will find the demos on the VSL Vienna Symphonic Library in the Vienna 2 section under appassionata strings.

Tell me what you think!
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I did listen to the demo. Great for its particular sound. But I would need more variation - i.e. solo cello. BUT for that particular sound, it was truly great.
There's no solo cello in SISS.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Good to know. Even thought the VI AP was awesome sounding. I do not think it would work as a total solution for my CD production. I do have VI solo strings and am learning to use that better.
The question is which is more flexible for general use? AP for the SISS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
There's no solo cello in SISS.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to know. Even thought the VI AP was awesome sounding. I do not think it would work as a total solution for my CD production. I do have VI solo strings and am learning to use that better.
The question is which is more flexible for general use? AP for the SISS?
In that case i would consider VSL chamber strings. That one with Solo strings miexed together will give you amazing results. I'm not joking. People are crazy about the chamber strings, and for good reasons, Best buy ever in my case. And don't be fool by the name chamber. They can be use for other things. They have real legatos, portamento, etc... Nothing beat the real thing.

Also, not that SI was recorded with musicians in place. Meaning that everything is pan with ambiance(not too much ambiance thou). So you will be limited for that. I kind of regret buying SI just for that. VSL you can put where ever you want in the mix. And don't pay too much attention at the chamber str. demos, because they are quit dry with little to no EQ. Many people prefer the cham str. over the 14 violins section.

What kind of music do you plan to do? That would help?
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear
Say what you will, but I really think that the Sonic Implants sound much more convincingly real (from the demos anyway). I had actually heard a score on some made for tv movie, that I really liked, and some time afterwards, I found out that it wasn't a real orchestra - it was the Sonic Implants Strings!

The VSL DO sound very nice, perhaps just a different flavor...

halcyo
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Say what you will, but I really think that the Sonic Implants sound much more convincingly real (from the demos anyway). I had actually heard a score on some made for tv movie, that I really liked, and some time afterwards, I found out that it wasn't a real orchestra - it was the Sonic Implants Strings!

halcyo
Si is great, but they are not cheap. And again, because they are pre pan you will soon fin yourself limited mix wise and they very well might endup sitting there while you start using other library that you can mix where ever you want, close, in your face close, far... They don't have reel legato which is quickly becoming a standard, so he should take that into account to.

I'm not trying to say this one is better dfegad etc.. I just want to help the guy make the best buy possible. And frankly, i think VSL will last longer because of the reasons I've mentioned above. But that doesn't mean SI will be useless. Infact it could be better for him... It would help if i knew what type of music he plans to do?

For what it's worth, Si might have a better tone(right out of the box or not?), they have tow violins sections(left,right) and they really are beautiful. The recording is superb, not untouched but very natural. And yes we've heard them in films that I'm sure. They have samples up to 6 seconds long which is rare i would think and it adds to the overall quality. But my concern is for the long run that's all.

BTW, i think he should also consider getting Si mini which is like 550$ + VSL chamber strings and mix those tow. They mix really well IMO and I've heard that from others too. Mixing library is a VERY good idea for strings IMO.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

What are the licensing terms for SI? Can it be resold with permission? Do you have to provide notice about it on any CD using it, even in part? I have checked out their website and have not found the licensing terms:
http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductDeta...ringCollection

Quote:

halcyo
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are the licensing terms for SI? Can it be resold with permission? Do you have to provide notice about it on any CD using it, even in part? I have checked out their website and have not found the licensing terms:
http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductDeta...ringCollection
Good question! I was just thinking about selling mine. I want those appassionata strings. heh

I think you can use it as you're please, at least that's what they told me. But you probably cant modify it and sell it as a sample library...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search