The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I store my raw files?
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac

How do I store my raw files?

I am doing a reinstallation of my beat-making/mixing computer today and have been slowly customizing my DAW (ableton + pro tools) and plugins back to how they used to be, except on a much faster hybrid solid state drive this time round. I wanted to know if saving all files on the main HSSD drive would be faster than just using a separate dedicated mechanical drive which is slower. If I let a dedicated 7200 rpm drive read/write all the recorded/manipulated audio stems, it should take the load off of the main Operating System's drive which is responsible for keeping the DAW's working and responsive. So which setup's better?
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Addict

I've always been told to run the audit on a separate drive. But that was before SSDs. They don't run the same way as do standard hard drives with disks that have to be accessed. So running the OS, DAW and audio may not be as much of an issue.

The question would be, do you have enough room on your SSD for all your sound files. This has always been my issue. And if you can afford it, a second SSD is the best, but a 7200 RPM would be the next best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search