The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking to use external SSD as main audio drive. some questions...
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

looking to use external SSD as main audio drive. some questions...

my current 7200RPM audio drive works well, but has a fan in it and is really starting to annoy me. i'm having trouble finding any external thunderbolt hard drives, 2TB or greater, that don't have fans in them and are NOT bus powered (any suggestions are welcome!)

so i'm thinking of going SSD...

read all the SSD threads on GS, but have one remaining question..

is it OK to use a BUS POWERED thunderbolt SSD drive?

or is it better to let a plug and the wall handle the power and not the computer?
Old 4th March 2016
Mine has external power but I also use an externally powered USB 3.0 hub. I would use a powered hub to be safe. A bigger pain in your using a laptop.
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

not using a laptop (an iMac, and i have a powered USB hub)

but i'm looking for a thunderbolt hard drive, not USB

i don't trust a USB drive as my main audio drive on a hub with 8 other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarness View Post
Mine has external power but I also use an externally powered USB 3.0 hub. I would use a powered hub to be safe. A bigger pain in your using a laptop.
Old 7th March 2016
My drive is USB but since it's powered I'm not running it through the powered hub. It's direct into the mac mini. No issues at all. All my other devices are going through the powered hub. It's a dual SSD case. So, I'm actually pulling samples off of one SSD and recording to the other one simultaneously.

FWIW I'm only recording and 24 bit 48khz. I haven't tested it above that rate.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search