The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good 16 analog io or more interface solutions.
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Good 16 analog io or more interface solutions.

I'm starting to get a lot of outboards and i want to be able to use em all, so i'm looking for a good 16 analog in/out or more interface soulution. Thunderbolt,firewire or usb.
Most sound cards i se only has 8 analog in/out but they are always advertised as a lot more!? What do more do i need to get all the channels from something like a rme fireface 400 or 800?
I can't spend to much at the moment, any good solutions?
Old 4th March 2016
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Best bang for the buck:

Orion32+ 32-channel AD/DA with Thunderbolt™ and USB Interfaces | Antelope Audio

32 ch I/O
Great converters and clock
Thunderbolt or USB

Edit: sorry, just noticed you said budget is limited. So maybe not the Orion. It's well worth the cost, but it's not inexpensive.

Last edited by jjeffers; 4th March 2016 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Blah
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

hmm the orion seems interesting! how do i connect my gear to it ? breakout cables? I've been reading a bit about the midas venice f32 to , but since it's firewire it can only handle 44.1khz or was it 48khz
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Ur right it's not budget. But it's something i can consider next time. I guess what i should do is getting some used firewire interface like the rme fw400 and what ever i need more to be able to use all the in and outs? anyone know what i need?
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsimilius View Post
Ur right it's not budget. But it's something i can consider next time. I guess what i should do is getting some used firewire interface like the rme fw400 and what ever i need more to be able to use all the in and outs? anyone know what i need?
ADAT io will get you 8 more tracks at up to 48kHz. spdif will get you 2 more.. That's 18, and I've done this with ADAT machine, and Alesis HR24, and an old DAT tape player. You just need 2 ADAT toslink cables (The ADAT machine wouldn't run simultaneously in/ out for me.. One at a time. I just needed inputs during tracking. Not sure if theres a way for OTB mixing using the old 16bit ADAT machines?)

RME used to make an ADAT x8 converter ADI-8 (not an interface) to add RME conversion channels, cheaper than ff400.

then IIRC you can link another ff400 by FireWire (there's an extra port on back for this), both slaving ADAT and spdif to get the full 36 channels they advertise.

Marketing is hilarious..
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

Mackie 1640i works really nice, great board to play around with. 16 channels, quick and easy to gain stage.

RME feels a little more pro, more technical, but the mic pres on the mackie I liked better, drum overheads were silky smooth. I never tried line in on mackie so not a perfect comparison.

Rme support and drivers are a billion times better though
Old 4th March 2016
Used RME HDSP 9652 PCI card + Behringer ADA8000 X 2?
Old 4th March 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

Yup I'm in the same delema, I have a big desk, I want to downsize but need a 32 analogue input desk synths, amps etc. into a a digital solution, considering a number of solutions, I like SSl options but it PCI, I think I'm going Mac/thunderbolt. The UAD apollo looks promising but getting th I/O into the computer seems like a struggle.
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Something like this MOTU 16A | Sweetwater.com or this Allen & Heath Ice-16 | Sweetwater.com maby?
I've had ha motu 828mk11 before and didn't like the sound very much. Noisy preamps was a big problem then, but now i have outboard pres and dont need them anymore. Latency and driver wise it was good. I had a 3or4000$ (don't remember) Allen&heath dj mixer with built in audio interface once and it was the worst piece of crap i've ever bought! My friend bought the same mixer and got all the same problems. The store sent it in, and when i got it back it had all the same problems:P the second time i went back with it the store gave me a new one that also didn't work. I ended up getting my money back.
So not much trust in the Allen&heath brand from me :/
If motu has started using/making good converters i will consider the 16A .
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Thumbs up for the Motu 16A !
Great Infertace ...
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Used RME HDSP 9652 PCI card + Behringer ADA8000 X 2?
how is the behringer with the rme? will i have any issues with latency and so on ? can i use it with say a ff400 ? using laptop so no pci unless i buy a thunderbolt to pci box.
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

You might have to get something with 8 i/ o and pair it with a patchbay. you aren't going to need to record all 16 channels at once are you?
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
Mackie 1640i works really nice, great board to play around with. 16 channels, quick and easy to gain stage.

RME feels a little more pro, more technical, but the mic pres on the mackie I liked better, drum overheads were silky smooth. I never tried line in on mackie so not a perfect comparison.

Rme support and drivers are a billion times better though
I'll have a look at it. Nice to try out some analog summing to and see for my self if there is any difference. I have been looking at the midas venice f32 and f16 to. They seem nice.
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
You might have to get something with 8 i/ o and pair it with a patchbay. you aren't going to need to record all 16 channels at once are you?
yes and no. Im not gonna record more then 8 mics at the time, but i want to be able to send more then 8 channels at the time to my outboards and record it back when i'm done.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsimilius View Post
hmm the orion seems interesting! how do i connect my gear to it ? breakout cables?
You need DB25 on one end, and XLR (or TRS) on the other. Something like this:

Analog DB25 to XLR-Male Snake Cable | Made from Mogami 2932 & Neutrik Gold Connectors | Standard Finish

The type of ends you have on the side opposite the DB25 depends on what you are connecting to.

And yeah, all those cables can add significantly to the total cost.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search