The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
In search for a ultra low latency, heavy vst using, scoring PC (without dropouts!)
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonRiver View Post
Here's a screenshot of me running 60 instances of Kontakt on my iMac (i7 4ghz) still with 70% of my cpu free.
Transport is stopped and it is only 41 tracks. (It looks like you duplicated a 10 or 12 track project 4 times and found out it couldn't play the last 3 instances of Kontakt so you deleted them). Also, based on the track names, they are playing tiny sounds like claps, snares, toms etc... Hardly a stress test. And lastly, we can't actually tell whether you are running any instances of Kontakt. We just see MIDI tracks...

Your system might be running fine but this screenshot certainly doesn't show that.

Alistair
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Windows performing better than OSX in a benchmark is quite different from the suggestion that if you are using Kontakt you shouldn't use OSX because it 'runs like a dog'.

Here's a screenshot of me running 60 instances of Kontakt on my iMac (i7 4ghz) still with 70% of my cpu free.

Edit: are you referring to this (2011) report using Kontakt 4, Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.2?

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking

Are there any more up to date benchmarks?
All I said was for the OP, Kontakt runs better on windows.

I did the actual DAW bench Reaper benchmarking with Vin, if you check the credits you'll see I did them.

MC
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
All I said was for the OP, Kontakt runs better on windows.
Quote:
Kontakt runs like a dog under OSX so a big NO.
No mention of Windows in your post.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Transport is stopped and it is only 41 tracks. (It looks like you duplicated a 10 or 12 track project 4 times and found out it couldn't play the last 3 instances of Kontakt so you deleted them). Also, based on the track names, they are playing tiny sounds like claps, snares, toms etc... Hardly a stress test. And lastly, we can't actually tell whether you are running any instances of Kontakt. We just see MIDI tracks...

Your system might be running fine but this screenshot certainly doesn't show that.

Alistair
Happy to provide you with what you need to get a proper determination. Let me know.
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
No mention of Windows in your post.
It was implied in the original reply to you, as the OP was using windows. Ergo, if he went to OSX he'd get worse performance, all other things being equal.

I generally work on the assumption the are only 2 main OS' for DAW work as Linux is such a small market.

MC
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Happy to provide you with what you need to get a proper determination. Let me know.
Just download the Reaper DAW bench session and see how you get on.

That's the point ......it's a standardised test session as a bench mark :D

MC
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks but there is no need. I was just pointing out that the screenshot doesn't tell us much. That's all. I'm sure your system works great for you.

Alistair
Old 13th March 2016
Here for the gear

I trying to find laptop for replacing my 2600k desktop and I really like spec of p50. Is anyone more has bad experience with that laptop? I using Cubase pro 8, kontakt 5 and some other vst synths and effects.
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Nut

Works perfectly on 128 sample buffer size. Lower it crackles. But I have to add: my 5 year old Lenovo T530 performance just as well.. A little better even. (Using a RME Fireface 400 UC)
Old 14th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jørgenstil View Post
Works perfectly on 128 sample buffer size. Lower it crackles. But I have to add: my 5 year old Lenovo T530 performance just as well.. A little better even. (Using a RME Fireface 400 UC)
Wow, I can still buy new Lenovo T530 or used T540 for less than 1/3 price of p50. I don't need Very low latency but I need cpu power for orchestral templates :/ I don't know what to do.
Old 14th March 2016
Gear Nut

Tough questions! I've upgraded my Lenovo T530 with 4GB extra RAM (8 in total) and I have a dual SSD system in it (replaced the SATA HDD and replaced the DVD-drive with an SSD). I can go pretty wild with it, especially when the latency is set to 128 samples (=8.9 ms latency). But again it's a very personal question.. What exact VST's are you using, which DAW, etc etc etc...... For me personally I didn't notice any difference upgrading to the P50 therefor I've send it back.

I tried out a desktop, but it also did audio-dropouts at 48 samples. Now I'm going to try another one, but the problem is that a big CPU upgrade probably won't help.. The solution now is in the right combinations/drivers/etc.. I wish it was just as simple as buying a crazy high spec'd PC
Old 14th March 2016
Gear Nut

So the search continues.. I really like to get in touch with an Audio PC Builder expert in The Netherlands? Does anybody know someone?

There are some many variables in creating this epic PC for audio that I really like to get in touch with an expert who has knowledge of these specific variables for the audio-dream pc. I can't find any companies through Google search, so hopefully one of you all can help me out? Thanks
Old 14th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jørgenstil View Post
So the search continues.. I really like to get in touch with an Audio PC Builder expert in The Netherlands? Does anybody know someone?
DAW PLUS is in Germany but I believe that Leon that posts here with that username is Dutch. I'd try contacting him.

XI-MACHINES

Alistair
Old 14th March 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks! I will do so

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search