The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any idea about a good USB audio interface
Old 2nd March 2016
Here for the gear
Any idea about a good USB audio interface

Hey folks,

I've recently bought a new computer, but it's doesn't have any firewire or thunderbolt port. My mistake.
However, I've seen a lot of USB interfaces which seems to be great deals, like the focusrite scarlett 18i20.
I used to have the saffire pro 26, and I was glad about it.

My question is in the title : Any idea about a good USB audio interface? With at least 4 inputs.

Thx, Marius.

Sorry for my english, i'm french ; )
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear
Roland Octa-Capture and Steinberg UR44 are both good options.
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bijoba View Post
Hey folks,

I've recently bought a new computer, but it's doesn't have any firewire or thunderbolt port. My mistake.
However, I've seen a lot of USB interfaces which seems to be great deals, like the focusrite scarlett 18i20.
I used to have the saffire pro 26, and I was glad about it.

My question is in the title : Any idea about a good USB audio interface? With at least 4 inputs.

Thx, Marius.

Sorry for my english, i'm french ; )
Hi Joe,
Any of the following USB interfaces will work great and sound great.
They all will be lower latency than any of th Focusrite Firewire or USB interfaces.

Steinberg UR series

Audient ID series

RME Audio Babyface Pro or Fireface series

Thanks Chris
Old 2nd March 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those !
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Hi Joe,
Any of the following USB interfaces will work great and sound great.
They all will be lower latency than any of th Focusrite Firewire or USB interfaces.

Steinberg UR series

Audient ID series

RME Audio Babyface Pro or Fireface series

Thanks Chris
This is not quite accurate with regard to the low latency performance of the Focusrite Saffire Pro FireWire interfaces like the Pro 14/24/26/40/56, which are competitive with the RME USB/FW unitis. The Saffire Pro 40 has an analog loopback RTL of 3.741ms at 32 buffer.

See here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11591001-post771.html

Note: The Saffire Pro 24 tested has slightly higher latency because it uses TI AD/DA instead of the Cirrus Logic chips used in the rest of the series.
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Why dont you buy a firewire card and fit it there cheap and easy too fit and if your on win 10 install legacy drivers and you can run older firewire products with no probs.
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Head

I have the 18i20 and don't really have any complaints about it. I wouldve got the Saffire Pro 40 but USB seemed more convient working with others who use laptops and firewire not being as common. Should've though it stays mounted. You may want to chain it into a preamp for certain uses though. Some users say the mic pres arnt loud enough but it also depends which mics and how loud your speaking or playing so it's subjective. 90% of the time I'm using it on the lowest buffer working with virtual instruments and audio plugins. Tracking audio and mixing i never have latency issues. Also has direct input monitoring and it lets the signal pass through when you pc is off so you can still record and monitor audio.

The 18i20 doesn't have the loopback feature of the Saffire Pro 40 but you can easily take a S/PDIF digital coax cable and connect it to both the out and in of the 18i20 if you wanted to record raw playback audio. I got it two years ago in a bundle from Amazon and don't have much of a desire for another interface. When I finally do feel like I need a new one my next would probably be one of the Apollo rackmounts and using firewire or thunderbolt.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

For USB I'd say the Scarlett series is a solid choice. I've owned a 6i6, 18i20, and still own a Solo. Loved them all. I just moved to Thunderbolt Though (Focusrite Clarett).

If I still needed USB though I'd very happily still be on a 6i6 or 18i20.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search