The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Large screen options in 2016 - what do you recommend?
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Addict
Large screen options in 2016 - what do you recommend?

Hey Slutz,

I'm building some new studio furniture for my self now that I am in a different buidling and even though I tend to prefer 27" screens for most of what I do and then use projectors above that I am in a bit of a pickle as my preffered arrangement is not very compatible with a 27" screen size unless I put together an elaborate vesa arm setup - I also do not want the arm or the screen itself to be in the way of some of my outboard and thus requiring constant adjustment.

50" or bigger would work for me, mounted on it's own stand behind everything else but then to make it affordable I suspect we really have to move into HDTV territory.

I hate tv and do not want anything to do with it but simply need the device itself to run via any sensible port at at least 1080p and at least 60hz, not include any sort of speakers and waste as little as possible on tv watching features - that is all the processing hardware for watching contemporary TV that a review site might focus on - I don't care about it so I am finding it hard to figure out what would be a decent contender in terms of value for money.

I just want it to be a large computer screen and avoid having to buy a commercial presentation screen the likes of NEC screens (8-10k USD).

It only would make sense to me if it was cheap enough considering the attractive pricing of high quality 27" screens these days.

Any ideas?

Cheerio,
BOP
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear
Take a look at this 'TV as Monitor' thread. I'll link you to my entry which is pretty early in the discussion.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11705436-post5.html
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Take a look at this 'TV as Monitor' thread. I'll link you to my entry which is pretty early in the discussion.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11705436-post5.html
Cheers however I already have my screens sorted out at the sizes you mention as I do design work too.

Basically I just want someone who knows what is on the market to tell me if I can get something like I described for less than 1k USD or 1k GBP or not at the moment.

I can't deal with TV review sites - other gear yeah but I hate TV so much and I hate the devices too that it makes me gag - for me it is like reading audiophile magazines - I can't deal with those - I have to look away - I cup my ears and go "lalalalala" so that I do not hear the audiophile and tv people when they talk about their setups.

I feel dirty just thinking about buying one thus my question if I should bother at all - it is causing my soul to vent away as we speak or so I feel.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict
Bumpity bump!
Old 4th March 2016
What is the native resolution you are using?
If you need more pixels, LG 34UC98 might be the one you like. It's IPS curved WQHD display, you can mount on VESA arm from Ergotron and likes. 21:9 ratio makes DAW work really easy. It doesn't get in the way of monitors. I use it Adobe Premier for video work, and works and look fantastic. It's slightly over your budget ($1200) but worth considering IMO. It also has two Thunderbolt 2 ports, if that attracts you.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
What is the native resolution you are using?
If you need more pixels, LG 34UC98 might be the one you like. It's IPS curved WQHD display, you can mount on VESA arm from Ergotron and likes. 21:9 ratio makes DAW work really easy. It doesn't get in the way of monitors. I use it Adobe Premier for video work, and works and look fantastic. It's slightly over your budget ($1200) but worth considering IMO. It also has two Thunderbolt 2 ports, if that attracts you.
1.2k for 34" is a bit too much considering it's a 7" difference to what I already use - the extra pixels while nice are not essential for me for this application since the high DPI gui is not going to work out like on a 5k screen and both gui consideration + not yet big enough of a screen would mean I can't put it far back enough to have it behind my workstation (similar to a 3 bay mastering type desk) - it would still get in the way of my midfields and require an arm mount.

At the same time for visual work the LG is a sidestep to what I already have and since I work with a lot of square or close to square formats (medium and large format photography) I would really be getting at most 350 pixels of extra space where I need it most.
It is also only 99% of sRGB rather than 99% of AdobeRGB which is really what I need (waiting eagerly for a ProPhoto capable screen!) since most colour spaces I use are even wider than that so sRGB is just too inconvienient - too much painting by numbers.

I want to avoid an expensive stepping stone - if I can grab an audio only, massive screen size type solution then my visual stuff will go straight away to a different room and wait for it's own upgrades, however if I have to get a 27"-34" screen then I will have to get one that will also benefit the visual work and simply wait with separating the two work areas and run a 3 screen setup untill I feel ready to jump to 5k screens for visual at which point I would be able to separate the work areas.

Curved screens are gimped in terms of upgrade path at the moment. Regular screens see a release at every jump in rosolution so you can always buy just a single one and use it alongside your older screen in a multi screen setup without them being out of place alongside each other.
A 1440p 21:9 screen is supposed to be the equivalent of 2x 1080p screens however there is no equivalent of 2x4k screens or even 2x2k screens when we are already well into 5k resolutions at this point.

While great for an editor who wants a cinemascope source monitor or something of that sort without any bezels in a neat single package I think otherwise the curved screens are generally most suitable for more home type entertainment setups where desk space is at a premium and lack of bezels are important for immersion when viewing full screen material (movies, games etc.).

Untill they release 8k curved screens I would consider curved to be severely behind the curve (no pun intended )
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search