The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend me a video card
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Recommend me a video card

Hi guys,

I need a new video card. It has to work well with Protools (I hear most do), make ZERO noise (no fan), have a DVI output (maybe 2), and make DVD's look nice.

My current vga video card (GeForce MX 4000) has 128mb of memory, and the video/dvd quality is SH*T. Switching to a DVI card (even one with less memory) will be a drastic improvement, right?

Can someone recommend the cheapest model that will do these things for me?

Thanks!
Adam
Old 1st February 2007
ATI can do it.

keep in mind, there are most of the time 2 versions out there, one with active, one with passive cooling. if you order online, they send you what they have on stock.

mac?

cheers
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

PC! Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the response George. ATI has a zillions models, but I'll see if I can narrow down the field a little. Am I right about the improvement I'll see?

Cheers
A
Old 2nd February 2007
DVI is better.. a lot better. yes.

depending on the monitor of course. a 300$ flat is not comparable (in quality and picture) to a 800$ modell.

cheers
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

I have Gigabyte 6600GT cards in mine that have massive heatsinks. They have DVI, vga and component output. They work perfectly!

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search